Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 5, 2016

I am home, curating.

There is something I want, and I feel I have too many watches, so I have sold off one or two from my collection that do not reflect my own self imposed focus.

I does give me great pleasure to spend time with watches that make up my "core".

Here are two that will only leave me when the key is prised from my cold dead fingers - and even Mrs Fruit does not know where the key is....(Note to self, must tell her).

P5050004-001.jpg

Both are believed original and in very good condition. Both have had movement service but as can be seen, the pushers have been retained. I have noticed these pushers have a different internal construction and look different on the cap too. Another notch in the OCD totem pole for us all.

Here are two more. These have over their life, been serviced and polished. Note the facets are indistinct, and really can only be seen if you think they might be there... A bit like the emperors new clothes. Note the pushers are new service replacements.

P5050003-002.jpg

In fact were they not CB cases, the amount of polishing would be forgivable, if noticed. It is only on these CB cases that even the lightest polish with abrasives destroy the very thing they are known for. Now in terms of value, we cannot be too fussy. While the facets are interesting, none of the other 105.012's have them and they still sell for $7k+.

Now technically the one on the right has the wrong hands. However I note that the whole ensemble fits, and the hands were probably all changed on a previous service (possibly decades ago), and then aged naturally on the watch to give it an an overall pleasing look. So I took the decision to leave it as I found it, only servicing the movement.

What these two pairs clearly show to me, is that there is a level of quality shown in the first two, that is rarely seen, or offered for sale on the market. The second two are still fine, and probably at the top end available on the market.

Unless I see the first quality, my brain can be fooled into thinking a watch is good. Its all about being able to compare two qualities. For some reason my brain need a comparison.

Another thing to think about. What is the value difference between the first two and the second two. Not the dollars, I mean the percentage. The second two might be considered 85% of the quality of the first two. But are the first two worth 15% more than the second two?

Not in my opinion. I think the price ratio is double.

Discuss. ::stirthepot::::popcorn::

heypacha, gminnj, GregH and 20 others like this.
  2. sky21 May 5, 2016

So when will we be seeing some pictures of the Soyuz on here??

3. Javi22 May 5, 2016

I take the first two, each 7 K$?:p::shy::

sky21 likes this.
  4. x3no May 5, 2016

Agreed. Collectors are getting picky, and the good ones being snagged, even at very high prices. As @ChicagoFrog has said, and many others.. "Condition, condition, condition".

And because, I have a relevant watch... :thumbsup:

IMG_1174.JPG

Pogo83, OmegaCal66, gminnj and 11 others like this.
  5. Selbo May 5, 2016

Great examples of the CB variation. As you noted, the distinguishing facets on the CB are easily lost through light polishing. I understand that in many cases the facets were intentionally polished away to create a cleaner look. For this reason, it seems that good CB cases command a premium over equal condition HF versions. Have you ever considered separating the two on your price chart?

x3no and KstateSkier like this.
  6. sky21 May 5, 2016

Now those are some sharp facets on those lugs!!

7. bazamu wincer, not a bidder May 5, 2016

As you actually coached me, @Spacefruit, top examples that truly represent Collector Grade are worth much, much more than examples that are 90% "great" and 10% "good," simply because they cannot be replaced. Omega will never again manufacture a 1966 105.012-66CB, and when the Collector Grade examples are separated from the total production number, it represents a tiny percentage of the whole. Price is adjusted accordingly.

rollingrevolver, Spacefruit and sky21 like this.
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 5, 2016

judging by ChicagoFrog's recent sale, it seems the market agrees with you Spacefruit.

the comparison note is a good one too. when looking at a watch you really do have to compare it to other examples, but with the market moving so fast and prices rising so quickly, it's often hard to find comparables at any one time.

Spacefruit and sky21 like this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 5, 2016

T<25, gminnj, GregH and 15 others like this.
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 5, 2016

double dibs! oh hell, quadruple dibs including the top two in the OP!

smitty190373 likes this.
  11. Javi22 May 5, 2016

::love::

12. Dgercp May 5, 2016

Can someone here just sell me one really good watch? :) I feel so...........inadequate.

grizzlycanuck, bazamu and KstateSkier like this.
  13. x3no May 5, 2016

:thumbsup: An unpolished CB case is fascinating indeed.

IMG_0893.JPG

XXoF, GregH, m84 and 10 others like this.
  14. Davidt May 5, 2016

Regarding the -66 CB, I love this reference.

The fact that it's a 105.012 and so is the first professional ref (albeit with a later date Mark), is confirmed as a reference extensively used by NASA and has the slightly different case, nudges it in front if all other Speedmaster Professionals IMO.

A high percentage of this reference also display a lovely fading to grey of the bezel, which I also particularly like.

I think it's hard to pin values down at the minute. I also think there's a lot of rookie Speedmaster buyers in the market right now, who perhaps aren't able to easily distinguish between ok, good and great examples, and this is blurring the pricing, contributing to the market being somewhat scatty. Well presented and tarted up 'ok' examples have sold for more than I would expect, where-as ive also seen great examples go for less than I would expect. Kind of because of this, I agree that were possibly experiencing a pause, while collectors new and old, gather their thoughts and take stock of what they have, what they want, and how it's fits into this new market.

oddboy, Javi22, bazamu and 3 others like this.
  15. marturx May 5, 2016

Lovely watches William. The first pair. The other two I cannot appreciate at all. Over the years I have developed a growing allergy against polished cases. I cannot stand them at all nowadays.

My last barn find Speedy happened to be a CB. I appreciate every one of its wearmarks! Even the dent in the tachy bezel :)

105.012 CB.jpg

Spacefruit, GregH, Davidt and 4 others like this.
  16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 5, 2016

Well actually the second two are only very light polish:
    P5050004-002.jpg

Facets still visible. Its really all about the angle of light and lens

For comparison the unpolished cases:

P5050006.jpg P5050007.jpg

gminnj, GregH, Pahawi and 3 others like this.
  17. JohnSteed May 5, 2016

:rolleyes: ::love::

18. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 5, 2016

Here is an example of a 105.012-66CB vs 105.012-66HF. Both unpolished

105.012CB.
    213699-625924ea3545d6f8615c19e5a1de0eda.jpg

105.012-66HF
    213690-a89abb5abfcd4fb275528f141711dd18.jpg

GregH, smitty190373, LawBrk and 4 others like this.
  19. Slevin kelevra May 6, 2016

Amazing examples guys.

20. Dash1 May 6, 2016

Dang, I was kinda hoping you were never going to post a picture of that watch.
    You're right though, some (very few) watches have something very special about them, and while it shows in the photos, you really need to hold them to experience it.