Forums Latest Members
  1. nyc863 Feb 7, 2014

Two black dial constellations that clearly claim original dials.

First from "vintage watch fan" of Tokyo, with some feedback issues:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121271069615&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Second from "miami estate buyers", with no feedback issues:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111274122987&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

to me, both look like pretty poor redials, but I'd be happy to know if my spider sense is not tuned correctly?

the miami estate buyer one fails the MOY test comprehensively.
    The "vintage watch fan" which is solid gold, looks like Constellation was written with a gold marker pen.

Is either actually authentic?

2. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 7, 2014

Respectable Member nyc863

The claim of 'Factory-original dial and had never been refinished or redone' is meant for the consumption of new-comers in the world of vintage-watch collecting.

I would rather own the cheapest Seiko with factory-original dial, than wear a Constellation with a refinished dial. I just feel disgusted, when a seller knowingly or unknowingly claims that his watch dial is factory-original and untouched.

Thank you.

3. nyc863 Feb 7, 2014

thanks seamonster,

btw Seiko make made lovely vintage watches don't make them sound like they are the bargain bin :)
    Along with trawling ebay for Omegas, I'm waiting patiently to catch a 60s Grand Seiko "Special", or better still, a V.F.A.

4. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 7, 2014

Respectable Member nyc863

I know some of the Seiko technology is so advanced but they do still produce cheap ones for those who cannot afford the 'Seiko Spring Drive' or the 'Grand Seiko Special'.

Watching the movement of the seconds hand of the 'Spring Drive' is a dream. It seems to be floating on air.

Thank you.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 7, 2014

Both are refinished dials

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 7, 2014

First one is a definite redial. Second one, I'm not so sure. Fonts and gilt printing are correct, degraded lume seems to be present on dial and hands.

Not sure that "MOY" test is used for the Ref. 168.004 hidden crown models. However, there are other issues with that watch that make the dial irrelevant to me.

Especially at that price.
    gatorcpa

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 7, 2014

The second one is a redial also. Lumed dials of model 168004 should have no T (earlier) or 2 T's (later) next to Swiss Made. The Piepan edges of these 004 are a bit rounded but not too much like the one in question.
    Frankened 562 movement with generic second hand (cut short to fit)

[​IMG]

8. Selbo Feb 7, 2014

The seconds hand on the second offering does not have the correct shape and the "hole" is too large. And to my knowledge, the medallion for the 168.004 should only have brick work for a solid gold version.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 7, 2014

Those were some of my other issues.

These are both watches to pass and move on.
    gatorcpa

10. Mokifly Feb 7, 2014

11. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 7, 2014

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 8, 2014

The second has the lume removed and he paint texture is wrong, which, along with printing, is another reason why I said redial.

13. Mokifly Feb 8, 2014

Ahh ok so I guess everything was in order then? :)

I think it was beautiful