Forums Latest Members
  1. yousufn Nov 18, 2017

Hi,

Before I proceed, I should apologize in advance in case I'm posting this query in the wrong fashion or in the wrong place, as it's my first time on this forum. I have a complete lack of knowledge regarding quality timepieces and I would appreciate it if you guys could share some of your knowledge with me.

I also want to apologize for not giving you pictures of the movement or the inside of the case, but I didn't want to fiddle with anything without knowing what I was doing. If anyone can link to a video or post regarding how to do that, I'd be happy to update this thread with more photos.

Now, on to the watches (pics at the bottom of the post) :--

I found two 'Omegas' in a family-member's old things. He had a pretty extensive collection of 'cheap' watches, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it were found that he had a couple of nicer ones too. I'm reasonably certain they have not been used in several decades. If I had to make a really wild guess, I would say they may have been acquired some time in the '50s to the '70s.

The golden 'Seamaster' began ticking away a few moments after I picked it up. I gave the crown a couple of rotations. I strapped it on and a few hours later it still seemed to be keeping time. The back of the case is blank.

The silver 'Constellation' doesn't seem to be in working order. The back of the case has some kind of imprint on it.

I would like to know: (i) if there is a possibility they may be genuine, (ii) if so, what their date of manufacture may have been, (iii) should I be taking better care of these, getting them serviced or repaired, and (iv) any other interesting information you guys may be able to share?

Thanks in advance!

IMG-1474.JPG IMG-1473.JPG IMG-1472.JPG IMG-1471.JPG IMG-1470.JPG IMG-1469.JPG IMG-1468.JPG

dall-houston, Fordex, Spruce and 5 others like this.
  2. mikechi22 Nov 18, 2017

I think you have two very nice watches there, my friend! If they were mine, I would definitely get them serviced and cleaned up! Avoid Omega as the site for service as they have a reputation for butchery on vintage watches whose value lies in their originality.

The experts will be along shortly to tell you what you have and I’m going to bet they’ll tell you both are bona fide Omega antiques!

Welcome to the Forum!

yousufn likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 18, 2017

yousufn likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 18, 2017

The Constellation looks to be Ref. 168.0004, commonly called “hidden crown” for obvious reasons. Most likely cal. 561 movement inside. Yours has the more desirable pie-pan dial and is dual signed with “Türler”, a major AD for Omega. Looks all original from the outside.

The Seamaster also looks to be all original. Not sure of the case reference, as there were many similar models that differ only in the movement.

You have two very nice old Omegas there.
    gatorcpa

Noddyman and yousufn like this.
  5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 18, 2017

great vintage wrist watches !

yousufn likes this.
  6. yousufn Nov 18, 2017

Thank you for the info guys! This creates a bit of a dilemma for me as I will now have to look into finding a reputable person to service them and I don't know if I will be able to find someone nearby.

I'm really quite smitten by the Seamaster. I was just amazed when it started ticking away without missing a beat when I picked it up.

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 18, 2017

If you'll share your location, I'm sure someone can point you to a reputable watchmaker.

8. yousufn Nov 18, 2017

I'm in Karachi, Pakistan. I think perhaps the best thing to do would be to wait a few months till the next time I'm traveling abroad.

Btw, thanks for the link above - I'll have a closer read of that later today.

9. ChrisN Nov 18, 2017

If you put the Seamaster on your wrist and lift your hand to your ear and lower it again, do you feel a bump? It looks like a 330 series Bumper automatic to me. Possibly a 354 but you won't know until it's opened.

Theseare very nice. Both good finds.

Cheers, Chris

McKinley and yousufn like this.
  10. yousufn Nov 18, 2017

Yes! I thought perhaps something had come loose.

11. ChrisN Nov 18, 2017

:D If it is a bumper movement, which it sounds like it is, they're addictive to wear. Also looks like a red gold cap? Nicer than yellow gold for me.

Cheers, Chris

Nathan1967 and yousufn like this.
  12. ICONO Nov 18, 2017

Congratulations …You have the beginnings of a very fine collection

Heed the thoughtful, caring advice of other Members…and get them serviced…so they can perform, as originally intended

Oh……And a very warm welcome to the Forum !!

yousufn likes this.
  13. Nathan1967 Nov 18, 2017

Both are nice watches, but the Seamaster, that “waffle” dial :thumbsup: beautiful. Looks like you have some nice watches in Pakistan, if those are the benchmarks. Personally, I’d be keen to hear more about watch collecting there.
    Welcome to the forum

All the best

Nathan

yousufn likes this.
  14. yousufn Nov 18, 2017

Thanks Nathan,

I'm sure there's an interesting story to be told since there are a number of 'luxury' watch afficionados here in Pakistan, but I'm probably the wrong person to tell it since I don't know much about the subject. As far as I know, vintage watches are a rarity here. I think I will make more of an attempt to learn about it.

As for these two pieces, my best guess based on what I've been told in this thread and what I know about the prior owner, is that they may have been purchased in England or Germany in the '50s or early '60s.

15. ConElPueblo Nov 18, 2017

Welcome aboard, Yousuf!

Your family member didn't have an old black dialed Omega lying around, did he? Someone might have scratches "P.A.F" or something along those lines into the caseback..? If he does, don't worry about it, I'll trade it for a nice, shiny Seamaster :whistling::whistling:

Re. watchmaker you might want to find a watchmaker abroad and ship the watches to him. A lot of members here, including me, regularly ship watches abroad for servicing. When you find a good watchmaker, you have to make sure he doesn't get away! :D

yousufn and perks713 like this.
  16. ChrisN Nov 18, 2017

:D:D::facepalm1::

17. yousufn Nov 19, 2017

Lol, will keep an eye out for that black dialled watch while I look into finding someone to fix these up. Thanks for the advice.

Lucasssssss likes this.