Forums Latest Members
  1. hsu Mar 3, 2018

Hi, I'm new in the forum and not a watch person at all, but I have inherited this couple of gold omegas from about 1955 and wanted to sell them (probably to buy still other fountain pen or two). Well, the watches work perfectly and are in generally good condition, but I've sent them for servicing before putting them for sale. I think I've chosen a good shop in Madrid, very well regarded professionals and with rather lower fees than Omega (fancy that!). They have told me they can easily change a couple of defects I had seen, and some other that I hadn't (one of the crowns is not Omega, the needles of the other one are, but not identical, small cracks in the glasses...). Nothing much, and I'm fairly confident the watches are going to look great after the repairs. But they have posed me a question I can't answer, and here's where I'd appreciate your advice. The dials are far from white (if this was their original colour), and they say that simply cleaning them, which they'll do anyway, will scarcely be appreciable, and that Omega cannot supply new dials for these older models. What they can do is to restore the dials, which as far as I've understood means basically renewing the enamel. This will make the watches, they say, look like new, and is the solution most clients chose when they want the watches restored for their personal use. They know my intention is to offer them for sale, and don't have an opinion about what the potential buyers may prefer. My guess was that it would be better for these mature guys to look their age, and in the forum I've read also pro-patina opinions. But, although I must apologize because the photos I'm posting are not so good, I'd say it's not just patina what these dials have, and that if I don't get the dials restored any eventual buyer will feel I should have. What do you think? Thank you very much for your attention,

hsu

h_mec01.jpg h_mec02.jpg h_mecosa01.jpg h_osa03.jpg h_osa06.jpg h_osa08.jpg h_osa11.jpg
  2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 3, 2018

::popcorn::

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 3, 2018

Where do I start?
    Welcome to the forum.
    You bring much to your first post.
    I will start with questions. Are these watches solid gold?. 14K, 18k,?. Do you have pictures of the movements?. Side views, case-backs?.
    As you mentioned, the first watch needs the hands situation rectified. Probably a new crown. Until we see the movement we can only assume a service. The dial appears to be original and if it is, I recommend you leave it alone.
    Second watch. It is a redialed watch. The crown has issues of some sort. Lume is missing from the indices and the hands. The date wheel may have some issues, as the date does not sit square in the window. I suppose it could be that the dial is misaligned.
    You should know that your post might appear to some as an attempt to circumvent the sales policy of the forum. You need 200 post to sell on the forum.

hsu likes this.
  4. hsu Mar 4, 2018

Hi kingsrider, thank you for your answer. My apologies if my post looks like I'm offering for sale here, I just wanted your opinion on the redialing the shop suggests. About your questions, the watches are solid gold, 18k. Sorry, I do not have photos of the movement but both watches work exactly. The back of the seamaster has no inscription at all, they told me it's because it's an old model. The missing lume in hands is going to be restored, but they have not mentioned the indices, thank you. The date wheel works fine but as you say is not well squared, I'll keep it in mind when they give me the watches back. What came as a surprise is that you find the seamaster has been redialed. It has not, as far as I know, but in any case it would have been a long time ago, still in the 50s - 60s. How can I tell? Should I have it restored? Thanks again,
    hsu

5. Lucasssssss Mar 4, 2018

If you are selling them, there is no need to do anything, just take some clear pictures of the movement and face. The buyer will be best placed to service the watches with their watchmaker and decide if they want to redial it. I wouldn't advise re-luming the hands as it will detract from the value and add to your cost.

I agree with the Seamaster redial, it was often done at service. What gives it away is how the O of Omega does not sit in line with the rest of the font, as well as other inaccuracies.

hsu likes this.
  6. hsu Mar 5, 2018

Thank you very much. Big surprise the redial, I had no idea till kingsrider saw it. Well, I've just called the workshop and fortunately they haven't touched the watches yet, so. I'll follow your advice and pick them up this afternoon. About the photographs of the movements, I guess it won't be a big problem to open the mechanical one, but I remember trying to open the seamaster and having to desist, not without scratching the cover in the process. I'll ask the guys in the workshop to lend me a hand, and tell you how it goes.
    Thanks again,
    hsu

7. hsu Mar 6, 2018

h1_osa01.jpg h1_osa02.jpg h1_osa03.jpg h1_osa04.jpg Hi guys, I have to (again) eat my words. As I told you, I fetched the watches yesterday, just as I had left them. I asked the watchmakers to open the seamaster cover for me, but did not want to impose on them and said nothing about the other one ("not a big problem" see above. Ha!). OK, I cannot open it, so here go a couple of photographs of the seamaster only. I'll post some of the mech as soon as I can get someone to open it for me. Please forgive me (and ignore my request) if I contravene the forum rules for asking, but any opinion about the price I may ask for this one?