Forums Latest Members

Two more winter car questions

1. calalum Aug 29, 2018

All-Thanks a LOT for the responses re my prior winter driving post for my son's car and driving in the winter in New England. I am finalizing the car purchase and the dealer is pushing me to "simonize" the car for $695. Is that worth it or just a dealer profit push? Also, they are offering a remote starter for $495 to start the car and get it heated up if it is cold outside. If the car is parked right outside the house that may be good, but what if my son moves to Boston next year for work and is living on the 10th floor of an apartment building or if the car is parked two blocks away?

Thanks again for the input.

Nick

2. SteveZ28 Aug 29, 2018

I personally love my remote starter for my truck. It has a 15 minute timer and can be used two times before you have to put the key in the ignition. When we get the fantastic -30 C cold snaps in Alberta, I let it run while I am getting ready in the morning and come out to the windshield being fully defrosted and toasty leather seats. I also have the luxury of parking right out in front of my house though.

Depending on the type and/or year of vehicle, you can get a remote start that works off you phone. Good for when you are parked further away.

They arn't cheap, but worth every penny for the winters that my truck has to endure.

3. Dan S Aug 29, 2018

Where I live, they call people like you "puffers". :)

larryganz likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 29, 2018

IMO, the first one is unecessary and purely benefits the dealer’s bottom line. The second is a “nice to have”.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2018

FIFY

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. time flies Aug 29, 2018

As above

have fun
    kfw

7. SteveZ28 Aug 29, 2018

We all enjoy different things in life. I prefer not to be sitting on a ice block and like having the feeling my face :D

EDIT* Had to urban dictionary it, Luckily my truck stays locked while running. Have seen a few on my street go missing in the early hours of the morning though.

8. Dan S Aug 29, 2018

In the winter, TV stations air PSAs urging people not to "puff", and the emphasize concerns about theft, but also about unnecessary tailpipe emissions. Our Colorado state law against puffing was recently changed for cars with remote start systems, but many local cities still have ordinances that ban idling without a driver in the car.

Archer likes this.
  9. many Aug 29, 2018

I love remote start but if the car didn't come with it, it's not something that I'd spend 500 bucks adding.

10. JPE.88305 Aug 29, 2018

Apparently this excludes law enforcement and military--when you get a deuce & 1/2 ton started, you don't turn it off.
    FWIW, two 15-min 'warm ups' is unnecessary though a few minutes in extreme cold is good given how many plastic parts are in cars nowadays.
    Friend of mine has shearling driver & passenger seats he uses in winter--not terribly cheap but insanely comfortable if you don't have heated seats.

Dan S likes this.
  11. gostang9 Aug 29, 2018

Starting a car before getting into to drive it is a waste IMO. All starting early does is cause mechanical wear for minimal (if any benefit). I have remote start in my winter car. I don’t use it even though it is outside in the cold and snow. I do have heated seats and steering wheel and I use them often when it’s cold.

Don’t get either of those dealer suggestions but do get heated seats and steering wheel.

Vercingetorix likes this.
  12. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 29, 2018

I would definitely skip the simonize. Total rip off, imo. As far as a car starter, you can see the different opinions. I had one installed in Mrs. Blufinz's new Highlander and she uses it on the extreme cold mornings. Happy wife...

13. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 29, 2018

There is a reason remote start is aftermarket. The best thing to do for a cold started car is to get it warmed up as quickly as possible. That is not achieved by idling. It is achieved by starting and driving off as soon as possible. Catalytic converters like to run hot.

Mcvictory and WatchWalker like this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 29, 2018

First is a waste. There is a perfectly good coat of sealant from the factory. A REGULAR car wash is better. I have the remote and have never used it. Friends however swear by it.

Dan S likes this.
  15. calalum Aug 29, 2018

He is getting heated seats but thanks for the other guidance.

16. destroid Aug 29, 2018

Get the car properly ceramic coated at a reputable detailer and optionally paint protection film(PPF) first.

Remote start would be nice but garage parking is best. Have a reputable stereo/electronics place do the remote start if desired.

None of the above should be done at the dealer. I use these guys
    http://uccboston.com/
    https://www.jkautomotivedesigns.com/

E665BD2B-1E88-46F6-8D43-A3F47F06A740.jpeg

SteveZ28 likes this.
  17. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 29, 2018

Tell car dealer to give those for free or you are not buying the car.

akshayluc420 likes this.
  18. Mtek Aug 29, 2018

You may want to look up the idling law there. Many states have laws regarding the time allowed to idle, outside temp when doing so, etc. Some states don’t allow it at all. Many imports don’t have this feature as a factory option as other countries don’t allow it either.

Edit: looks like 5 min max for idling in Boston

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter90/Section16A

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 29, 2018

Heated seats rock!

20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 29, 2018

Drool.