Forums Latest Members
  1. Sergeant Pluck Nov 10, 2013

Hi all

First post here, although I’ve been a reader for a while. I’m interested in 60s and 70s Constellations and Seamasters, and although I know that they are not to everyones’s taste, I like the C-shaped cases. I’ve been fascinated by the discussions on the MOY test, fake cases etc, and I have no doubt that if I had not been a reader of this forum I’d have had my fingers burnt by now!

I’m on the lookout for a good Constellation in this case style, preferably with a textured or linen dial, and if possible with the coin-edge bezel. So with that in mind, I keep an eye on what is on Ebay. I have a couple of queries on items currently on my watch list and I’d value your thoughts. Two very different watches, even though both refs begin with 168.

First up is a WG model:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121200610942?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It’s a reputable seller of course, and I am not intending to doubt the authenticity of the watch, but I am curious about a few things:
    1. The dial does not have OM on it, and the indices seem heavier or more crude than other WG models I have seen in this case shape.
    2. The ref itself, 168.027. Is that ok for a WG watch?
    3. The engravings on the case back. To me (and I am no expert) these seem very different in character to the imprints etc. on most Omega case backs, it’s almost as if they have been engraved rather than stamped. What do you think?

I do quite fancy a WG version. I’d like something special but yellow gold doesn’t look great on me.

The second watch, very different I know, is a day-date steel example from a low-feedback Polish seller. I’m in the EU so location and postage is itself not really an issue for me. I was considering making an offer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350920931694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Now, to me the watch looks pretty good. I was puzzled by a couple of things in his description - he refers to a cream dial and to it being date rather than day-date. So I looked at his feedback, and as far as I can see this is the third time he is selling the same watch. There is at least one other item in there that he appears to have sold and received feedback for more than once. Am I right to be suspicious of this? I suppose he could have taken watches back in part exchange for subsequent items, but I am wondering if the watch was returned as faulty or if it is a feedback-building exercise. On the other hand some of the feedback received is from high-feedback buyers.

A pity as I really like that textured dial. Not so keen on day-date though - as well as making the dial a little unbalanced, a day is a right pain if you have a few regular wearers, unless you have a winder.

Advice appreciated!

2. ulackfocus Nov 10, 2013

Hi there.

That means it's (1) a man's watch with (6) an automatic center seconds and (8) a calendar chronometer.

The reference number is right for a knurled bezel date only C-case. It should be 168.029 if it's a day/date version. The metal doesn't affect the reference number - stainless, gold capped, YG and WG models all have the same.

This looks like a correct watch, with a nicely & lightly redone case. The price is in the ballpark IMO.

Given the condition, it's too high of a price. With all those dings and the rotor scraping the case back I wouldn't pay more than $500 / £312 for it, then add on the things that make you suspicious and it's one your should take a pass on.

3. Sherbie Nov 10, 2013

I never question Dennis's expert knowledge, but if you thinking of dropping £2k on a connie, I,d run it past Desmond first, as I also have concerns about the movement, and the inside case photo isn't that sharpe.

Nice watch though

re OM - they only put OM if the dial was gold, and I cant remember if this should have an gold dial or not - of course, it could be a redial

4. Sergeant Pluck Nov 10, 2013

Thanks Dennis and Sherbie.

Regarding the WG Constellation, I remain slightly uncertain about the case back - the uneven character sizes and the quality of the stamps. I know there are variations in how case backs are marked, but I’d like to have seen one or two that look like that before being convinced. However, white gold examples are so rare that it is difficult to see other examples on the net. As for the OM on the dial, well, all I can glean from my Googling is that the dials either weren’t all gold, or that some that were gold weren’t marked OM. It would be good to be able to see the back of the dial. Sherbie, what are your thoughts on the movement?

The day-date - well I asked the seller and he said that the buyer hadn’t paid so he had simply re-listed the item. That might be believable, except for the fact that in the two previous sales of this exact watch, he has both received and given positive feedback. So even if the watch was a better example I’d be giving it a miss!

5. Sergeant Pluck Nov 12, 2013

Just as a quick little follow-up to this, there are others with very similar case backs, with the same uneven characters in the hallmarks etc., it seems, although the ones I’ve now seen are yellow gold. Perhaps that was a characteristic of a particular case-maker that Omega used, who knows.

My main criticism of that WG Constellation, now that I’ve looked carefully at some others albeit in YG, is that the polishing is perhaps a little coarse and the bevelled edge has been lost.

6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 12, 2013

The white gold version has a reasonably clean movement and the case finish, importantly, is pretty well spot on. I think it could be the photographs because I feel I saw the bevelled edge intact or mostly still intact. Radial brush finish is pretty good as is the finish on the case sides. Perhaps a brighter pic to make a final inspection? The watch doesn't appear to have had much wear, but you would need to factor in the price of a service. The case back is fine and the important gold marks are genuine.

The second piece I Have reservations about. The rotor is well scuffed indicating either that there are issues with rotor bearings or post or that there were issues with rotor bearing or post. Case finish has all but disappeared.

Cheers

Desmond

7. Sergeant Pluck Nov 12, 2013

Thank you, Desmond, much appreciated.

One final thing: does the absence of OM on the dial mean that it is not a gold dial?

8. ulackfocus Nov 12, 2013

No. I've seen gold dials without the OM markings.

9. 105012 Nov 13, 2013

I have a ref 168.027, never redone, so you can see how the bevelled case edge should look:

[​IMG]

lando and alam like this.
  10. ulackfocus Nov 13, 2013

::love::

105012 likes this.
  11. Sergeant Pluck Nov 14, 2013

Nice! I think that polished bevel is essential to the look of the watch and makes it distinctive and attractive from mid-distance. And once it's gone, it's gone.

My Constellation f300 has a similar case, except with a polished bezel and radial brushing on the top, and thankfully the bevel is intact.

105012 likes this.