Forums Latest Members
  1. BradKlein Oct 1, 2018

Greetings. I am a rather typical newbie to the forum, except that I'm not trying to buy or sell anything. I have these two legacy watches that haven't been worn much in the past 20 years, and I'm planning to treat them to servicing and new bands or stainless bracelets.

I've begun searching the forum for advice and info, but I'm happy to receive any from members who have experience along these lines. Both were serviced at some point in their lives, probably in the 1990s, and have probably seen only a few months of use since then. Both working fine.

Any suggestions for cleaning and lubricating, and whether that is even necessary?
    Any pointers on buying modern reproduction bands - they seem to be available online? (these are the unusual 'tool 107' backs that require special bands)
    As for a stainless bracelet, perhaps it's better to look for a vintage one on ebay rather than a new repro - assuming those are being made? (I have not found one yet)

I'm located in NYC which may be an advantage or not. There are two Omega Boutiques in town, though I have not visited them.

Thanks for any info. BK

Omega Geneve BK.jpg

ahsposo and Vitezi like this.
  2. dragoman Oct 1, 2018

They both are considered Dynamics, as they have the funny strap.

It is not difficult to get leather, or faux leather, straps at ebay. I wouldn't bother in getting an orignial vintage one, as they are now so old that they tend to self destroy after two or three uses, specially the suede ones.

As for the stainless steel bracelets, I would take for granted that all that are now on sale at ebay are modern aftermarket ones (fakes, if you want), and that your only chance to get an original non-beaten up would be to get a ring and then look for a vintage bracelet that fits:

[​IMG]

There was also an adaptor to fix regular leather bands, but it is unobtainable now.

BradKlein and Vitezi like this.
  3. Vitezi Oct 1, 2018

Welcome to the forum! If you plan on wearing them - and who wouldn't? because those are a pair of awesome watches - then you should get them serviced by a watchmaker who is used to working on vintage watches. NYC has plenty of shops that can do this; the Omega boutiques really won't know what to do with these. Ask for a "clean, oil and adjust" service, with a hand-polish only to the case. Too many well-intentioned folks use a machine to polish watch cases, and that process tends to round over the sharp edges and eliminate the graining of the original factory finish.

Search for "Geneve Dynamic" on this forum and you'll find lots of love for these.

BradKlein and ahsposo like this.
  4. BradKlein Oct 1, 2018

Thanks for the helpful information. I'm perfectly content with a modern, aftermarket Bracelet and will do some searching, for those. I'll still need to visit a professional to install since the rings on the back are not movable with the plastic tool I have, and I don't dare riskk scratching with a proper metal tool.

As for clean, oil, adjust I appreciate the advice. And I'll happily accept any suggestions in NYC or elsewhere. I notice that the milling of the SS case is carefully done, so the faint lines radiate out from the center, and I would not like to lose that to over-buffing.

Thanks again for the info. Appreciated.

5. Vitezi Oct 1, 2018

Yes, it's exactly those fine factory details that you don't want to lose. Search on this forum for watch shops in NYC. Some folks here have used Central Watch as a repair shop. Try this search to find an AWCI (American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute) professional near you specializing in vintage watches. You may also try the NAWCC (National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors) search page.

BradKlein likes this.
  6. Sherbie Oct 1, 2018

I personally wouldnt even take a hand polishing cloth anywhere near the dynamic on the right - it looks sharp enough as it is, and still has the graining to the top case

Search omega constellation blog, desmond wrote an essay on these geneve dynamic series -tells you everything you need to know

BradKlein likes this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 1, 2018

I'm one of the folks that really like these Dynamics. The square you have is one I've not seen. I'd like to see some more pictures.

You have the most important part of the band, those buckles. Look on eBay for some straps, they will be aftermarket and not very expensive but they'll work. Don't bother with the Omega Boutiques as @Vitezi mentioned. Also be very firm about no polish. The brushed finish is the best part.

Here are 3 of mine:
    Dynamics_022217 5498.jpg

BradKlein, Vitezi and dragoman like this.
  8. dragoman Oct 1, 2018

Here you are

[​IMG]

Reference is 166.081, and I have seen it mainly with BradKlein dial in different shades

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but also as a Deville
    [​IMG]

and funnily, as a Racing Dynamic like one of yours

[​IMG]

BradKlein, ahsposo and Vitezi like this.
  9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Oct 2, 2018

Thanks, @dragoman I really like that square on the bracelet.

Now I gotta find one.

10. BradKlein Oct 3, 2018

Thanks again everyone, for the friendly welcome and sound advice. I'll report back with fresh photos after I obtain my new bands, because... why not?!?