Forums Latest Members
  1. Diabolik Mar 8, 2016

I keep on coming across case backs on compax / tri compax models that have been re-faced (probably with a lathe). I can accept a case back that is worn and lost model and serial numbers but machined, is a big no-no. Why would you want to do this ? Regardless how good the face is, a refaced case back really puts me off the watch as well as making any chance or restoring the serial number, virtually impossible ...
    ::facepalm1::

caseback1.jpg

caseback2.JPG

Gatsby likes this.
  2. Severin Mar 8, 2016

Indeed, while I can't speak for the compax/tri compax, the serial numbers on the three-handers I tend to watch are often the first casualties.

3. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 8, 2016

A lot of the serial and ref #'s on Compax/Tri-Compax casebacks I've seen with normal wear end up looking very faint. Wouldn't be surprised if a good percentage of casebacks like this are unobservant watchmakers that don't even realize the serial and ref #'s are there. Total shame.

4. novina Mar 8, 2016

Could also be engravings. Never know as these have lead a long life. But if a serial number did exist, it is really a shame on whomever did this.

Diabolik likes this.
  5. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Mar 8, 2016

Casebacks that have been lathed by apathetic, lackadaisical watchmakers are certainly not exclusive to UG, but I feel your pain brother.

6. aap Mar 8, 2016

This was from a Polerouter Sub being offered to me before ::facepalm2::

image8.jpg

7. Diabolik Mar 9, 2016

Much rather have case back with a dedication or engraving that a refaced one. I have a few watches with dedications. I believe they give a watch character as well as giving you an insight into its history. If it is there , keep it. Let' s face it, you would not be grinding "Louis Armstrong's" name of a watch would you?

8. aap Mar 9, 2016

Couldn't agree more. Do you really have a watch with Armstrong's name etched?