Tudor wristwatches in spaceflight missions...

Posts
7,059
Likes
13,026
Normally I carefully post a question in an existing topic, but this time I went for a catchy thread title to get some extra readers as my Please help to identify the wrist watch - spaceflight ! only got minor response ... but response for which I'm grateful to a few forummembers such as @ConElPueblo and @bags1971 and @Seamus4 and @michael e who helped out identifying a few spaceflown wristwatches in mission photographs... thanks again!
馃憤
As there're probably more forummembers interested in Tudor wristwatches I've made a separate topic about this cosmonaut wristwatch I'm trying to identify.
It was worn by the first Japanese-in-space, Tokyo Broadcasting Service TV-reporter/journalist Toyohiro Akiyama
Selected in 1989, Akiyama started cosmonaut training in 1990 and was photographed wearing this watch during training and in the official Soyuz TM-11 crewportrait (photo: RosCosmos). He flew 7 days 21 hours aboard the Soviet-Russian Mir space station as a research cosmonaut in December 1990. During the mission he was pictured wearing a Soviet-Russian Air Force Sthurmanskie pilotwatch.
In this official 1990 RosCosmos photograph his wristwatch surely has a steel bracelet similar to Rolex/Tudor and the watch might be a reverse-panda Tudor OysterDate ?
馃槙
.

 
Posts
7,059
Likes
13,026
Although the crownguards are not correct, I initially thought an Omega Speedmaster Automatic triple date if these existed in 1990...
 
Posts
5,336
Likes
75,995
It looks like a Tudor Big Block to me , Picture from the web. And Two that I used to own , but sold on.
images
 
Posts
16,900
Likes
48,108
It looks like a Tudor Big Block to me , Picture from the web. And Two that I used to own , but sold on.
images



Yep Tudor big block, you can鈥檛 miss those lugs.
 
Posts
7,059
Likes
13,026
R.I.P. Toyohiro Akiyama...
The first Japanese cosmonaut & journalist passed away on wednesday Sept 2, 2026. He scooped the super powers as the first journalist in space and I wrote an article on his 1990 Soyuz TM-11 mission and on its tenth anniversary.
An experiment with Japanese rain frogs tried to see how these amphibians used their suction pads feet in zero gravity.
AFAIK he was also the first spacefarer to train with a TUDOR wrist watch. Lots of Starcity - Moscow training center photos show a TUDOR 79160 reverse panda dial big block chronograph at his wrist!.