Forums Latest Members

Tudor with inhouse movement or with ETA movement ?

1. mayankyadav Jan 16, 2018

Hi All
    So I have decided to buy a Tudor BB Heritage.
    However I am not able to decide which one should I buy!
    The one with the ETA movement OR the one with the inhouse movement.

I dont want a used watch (unless its vintage or in like mew condition). I also do not particularly like the look of one watch over another.

So which watch is more robust watch in terms of the machine inside it ? In other words which watch will still be running solid after 50 years (ok 20 years :) ) ?
    I guess the answer to this question will help me choose the watch I want.
    Also, what are your thoughts on below points -

1- BB with ETA isnt available brand new now and going used is the only way, right ?
    2- Is there any truth in rumours that Tudor will just replace the movement instead of servicing it ?
    3- How long this new movement can run without servicing ? Have read stories of Rolexes running for 20 years without any service.
    4-Servicing eta is cheaper but Service cost of Tudors movement shouldnt be too high considering the watch itself is only around 3K usd (i know it wont need the servicing for a long time I am
    just gathering data points to help me choose the watch :) )

I know I have asked too many questions and I highly appreciate your time to read this post and to andwer it.
    Love.. cheers !

sdre likes this.
  2. Balthazaar His mother warned him he'd go blind. Jan 16, 2018

You might be lucky and find a new ETA still around, picked mine up new just last Oct and there were still a few at ADs.
    I went with ETA because of service costs but also prefer the 'rose and smiley' face. Found the new face too busy with all the writing. The in-house is also a thicker watch.

Foo2rama and mayankyadav like this.
  3. sdre Jan 16, 2018

Most folks think the smiley face with eta is a better watch however the in house has a better power reserve. And like mentioned it's also thicker.

Buy what you like, I had a smiley Tudor but sold it after a while. Couldn't bond with it.

mayankyadav likes this.
  4. Balthazaar His mother warned him he'd go blind. Jan 16, 2018

Couldn't cope with the incessant grin?

5. sdre Jan 17, 2018

Actually it's the height and size and weight. Too thick and 41mm doesn't sit well on my wrist. Scratches too easily

6. Balthazaar His mother warned him he'd go blind. Jan 17, 2018

Yes, I've picked up a couple of small scratches on the polished faces. Nothing too bad though, just tell myself it adds to the character of the watch...

Edited Jan 17, 2018
  7. RS89 Jan 17, 2018

I rushed out to buy the ETA version as soon as the new in-house model was announced at Basel.

Why?

I find the new in-house model devoid of all the character that differentiates it from the original ETA version: the large rose logo, the "self-winding" smile, the rugged everyday charm that comes with knowing its running on a simple, easily serviceable, ETA movement.

I feel Tudor has made the BB more "Sub" looking with the new model, and in doing so makes me think "why not just get the Rolex Sub?"

The ETA version stood on its own as something unique, now the BB is a Rolex Sub for people who don't want to spend Rolex Sub money.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Also, interesting note, it's my least expensive watch and the one I get comments on the most!

IMG_1972.jpg
    asrnj77, Kmart, mayankyadav and 4 others like this.
  8. Egatdagi Jan 17, 2018

In 20 or 30 years it may also be easier to find ETA spares than discontinued in-house parts.

Foo2rama, mayankyadav and sdre like this.
  9. Seacow Jan 17, 2018

Black bay ETA for sure.

1, thinner in case size.
    2, ETA is a very robust movement. Old Tudor Mil sub are all ETA movement.
    3, BBN (black) was only available for 10 month in market and got replaced by in house.

you can still find a mint condition ones with box and paper for 2500 to 3000 USD

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mayankyadav likes this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 17, 2018

Eta

11. jaguar11 Jan 17, 2018

ETA for me. I prefer the dial and as mentioned servicing less of an issue... Good luck!

mayankyadav likes this.
  12. 77deluxe Jan 17, 2018

I prefer practically everything about the ETA version.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 17, 2018

I'll chime in with what I know...

1 - I have no idea.

2 - Yes - I know a watchmaker who works at a Rolex service center and if an in-house Tudor movement requires anything but regulation, the entire movement is replaced. This is the plan going forward as well, so not just a policy for watches under warranty. The movement that was removed will be sent back to somewhere to be refurbished, and then sent out to service centers around the globe to be installed as replacements in the future. More brands are using this model to speed up service times and centralize movement servicing.

3 - The service interval is the same as the ETA - should be serviced roughly every 5 years. I've also heard lots of stories about watches running for decades without service, but I also service some of those watches and they are completely chewed up inside.

4 - The point about servicing isn't just about cost. Since Tudor will not even let their own watchmakers around the world service this movement, no parts will be out there to allow anyone but Tudor's main factory to service these. You will be 100% captive to them for all future service needs. When companies have a monopoly on something like this, they usually leverage it by raising prices...if service in the future gets to be very expensive, then you will be stuck. With the ETA parts for the movement will be readily available for a long time.

Cheers, Al

Maganator, dialstatic, Kmart and 4 others like this.
  14. mayankyadav Jan 17, 2018

Wow! Thanks Archer. Because of your answer to points 2 and 4, i suddenly have a strong doubt if I want this watch or not now. I specifically wanted to know what you answered as look and feel ( thickness, smiley text, rose vs shield symbol, domed back, fake rivets etc were not a major factor vis a vis these points and specifically no 2 and no 4). Also I definitely dont want to be captive of a company.

Thank you everyone else also for their time.
    Have a good one.

15. dialstatic Jan 17, 2018

Of course if you want any of the newer models, such as the bronze one and the flavors released at Baselworld 2017, then you’re pretty much stuck with the in-house movement. Which isn’t necessarily all bad: it does add to the charm of the brand that it is now a “manufacture” and, speaking for myself, planning for future ownership and service needs (...or future anything else, really) is more or less a stab in the dark anyway.

mayankyadav likes this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2018

Eta. Looks better, thinner, more rare, easier to service.

mayankyadav likes this.
  17. ICONO Jan 17, 2018

I have the 79350 Heritage Black Bay Chronograph with the inhouse movement - Bought in Barcelona, last June

It is sensationally accurate, & built like a Panzer Tank - Real prescence on the wrist, but heavy.....like the IWC Fliegerchronograph, 'heavy'

270.jpg

strick9 and mayankyadav like this.
  18. Kmart Jan 17, 2018

ETA, 100%. Not just because of service costs, but mainly because the in-house movement makes the watch comically thick. The ETA version is still a chunky watch to be sure, especially with that slab-sided case that Tudor loves, but it's definitely a lot more wearable.

19. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jan 17, 2018

Happen to be wearing my first Tudor as I type. It's an all original 1998 Matte Dial Prince Date 79190 Submariner that's beginning to grow on me. Other than the original sales receipt it came as a 100% complete set. Only "time" will tell how long I hold on to it?

Ya, I know: Pictures or it didn't happen. As soon as I learn to load my bad scans on my new iMac, you'll have them.

20. SuperHero Feb 3, 2018

I’d love the ETA but...with the new dial and riveted bracelet.

Since that’s not available, I’d go ETA.