Forums Latest Members

Tudor Snowflake Experts Needed

1. Zuke Dec 30, 2018

I’m looking for a little help from our Tudor Experts.

Before I ask the questions I should say that I’m contemplating doing something that is outside of how I normally hunt / purchase vintage pieces. Like many of you I absolutely love the hunt, and along with great patience I’ve been able to pick up some outstanding pieces. To me condition is everything, and my existing collection reflects that.

That being said, I’ve had the Tudor Snowflake on my list for quite a long time. The unfortunate part about the Snowflake is that to pick up a good example now you’re looking at $9k+++. And sadly at that price point there are a few other watches that I would rather own first.

I have found a pretty beat up example of what I believe is a 9411/0. Feel free to chime in, but the dial is in rough shape. It’s not just the lume as I could probably live with this crazy lume. But there appears to be a central ring on the dial that is raised and pitted. The hand lume is aweful, the case is polished, and the bezel doesn’t click it just moves smoothly. There also appears to be slight damage on the bezel by the pearl (which appears to be a replacement). I will have to confirm the bracelet type / number, the case #, movement and serial #’s to make sure everything looks good. I’ll likely post more pics once I have them.

Here’s the thing I can pick this up for approximately $3,300 with a guarantee of authenticity (I can take it to my watch maker a Rolex expert to confirm). Assuming the case # and serial # are in the sequence as expected. Assuming also that the movement is okay I could have the hands relumed and keep my fingers crossed for a new dial. What do you think are the chances that I’ll be able to find a dial, and how costly do you think it will be?

Here are the pics, please feel free to give your comments (call me crazy if fitting, it will get me off the ledge). Or if you think that it might make a decent project watch for the money let me know. Nice thing is that for a potential project watch it is currently working, and would look quite good to the naked eye having to only relume the hands at first.

Thanks in advance
    J

Here are the pics
    Tudor1.jpg Tudor2.jpg Tudor3.jpg Tudor4.jpg

Moonalf likes this.
  2. sdre Dec 30, 2018

Imho there's nothing appealing to me with regards to this coffee stained markers. Hands look replaced / serviced.

My 2 cents, a snowflake always comes across to me as having a nice light blue dial with matching insert. The markers are usually eggshell patina that matches the markers across the hands.

Zuke likes this.
  3. bags1971 Dec 30, 2018

im no expert but is that a kissing 4 bezel insert worth a pretty penny?

Zuke likes this.
  4. Tempus Dec 30, 2018

If it weren't for the dial I would contemplate but damage is quite heavy and, my eyes at least, would be drawn to it to distraction. Looks as if hands have rubbed at some point.
    Not totally sure but I believe on early versions the bezel was friction only, should be easy to ascertain with a little research.

Zuke likes this.
  5. ndgal Dec 30, 2018

To say that this 7021 is an ugly duckling would be the understatement of the year (or what's left of it).
    That being said, at $3,300 this is a no-brainer buy. You're basically buying the watch for the price of the faded kissing 40 insert. The rest is gravy.

6. watchlovr Dec 30, 2018

^^^********beat me to the punch *****^^^
    No brainer at that price

Zuke likes this.
  7. ndgal Dec 30, 2018

The bracelet looks like a folded 9315.

Zuke likes this.
  8. ndgal Dec 30, 2018

Check out a very similar one that just sold on eBay.
    Keep in mind no bezel, no insert, no bracelet....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TU...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If I were you I would buy this watch for $3,300, sell it for about 7K on eBay. Add another 5-8K on top and get yourself a killer Snowflake that you can actually look at and smile when you're wearing it and you'll be way under the money into it.

Zuke likes this.
  9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 30, 2018

as said before, the dial is ruined. hour hand will be the reason. the hands do not seem to be tudor hands. the frame is too thick. but maybe it is only the angle. bezel is friction fit, so good. bezel insert appears to be damaged a bit at 12. we sold our last used dial in blue a few months ago. was $ 1400. so, you might find one over time. need a pics. of the back as well. inside mvmt. all ok? still a buy in my view. kind regards. achim

Zuke likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2018

Likely a poor relume of the hour hand has left a b lob of lume on the underside that is scraping on the dial. To say the dial is "ruined" is a bit too far for me. Yes it's damaged, but it may clean up better than it looks here.

Zuke likes this.
  11. Zuke Dec 31, 2018

Thanks for everyone's opinion so far.

@bags1971 Thanks for picking up on the kissing 4

Here is some more info and pics
    Ref # is 7021/0 and not 9411/0 as I originally thought
    Serial # is 741xxx which dates it to 1970's
    Caseback reads IV68
    End links are 380
    I don't have enough experience to know the ref for the bracelet. @ndgal suggests a folded 9315. More pics are below, perhaps that will help to confirm the ref #

IMG_8189.JPG IMG_8190.JPG IMG_8191.JPG IMG_8192.JPG IMG_8193.JPG IMG_8194.JPG IMG_8199.JPG IMG_8201.JPG
    IMG_8203.JPG IMG_8204.JPG

12. Zuke Dec 31, 2018

I can now confirm that the bracelet is 9315 with divers extensions.

13. Zuke Dec 31, 2018

Okay I'm pulling the trigger! Last watch of 2019.

Thanks again for everyone for their advice.

Baz9614, Albe100 and NT931 like this.
  14. ndgal Dec 31, 2018

Looks good! Buy it immediately!

15. ndgal Dec 31, 2018

PATETED diver extension & a faded kissing 40... That's a score at $3,300 my friend... As tired as the dial is, you are buying this watch at 50% off... (at least...).

Zuke likes this.
  16. Zuke Dec 31, 2018

Thanks for all your help @ndgal

And Yes I just told the seller to consider it sold

bags1971 likes this.
  17. ndgal Dec 31, 2018

You're welcome. Original twinlock & original plexi. Case looks pretty good too. Solid solid buy.

Zuke likes this.
  18. ndgal Dec 31, 2018

If this is anything other than a F2F deal, please make sure it's not one of these "Too good to be true" deals... Because it almost is...

19. Tempus Dec 31, 2018

Well done Zuke, seems you bagged it at a bargain price. Gives you plenty of room to buy parts as you come across them if that's how you choose to go.

watchyouwant and Zuke like this.
  20. redpcar Dec 31, 2018

2019? :confused:
    ;)

Looking forward to more pics and a story.

Zuke likes this.