Forums Latest Members
  1. Superpacker Apr 18, 2013

If this is the wrong place for such a thread please let me know (New guy). Starting to look at vintage Tudors, and my question is how dressy can these watch go? If I were looking for a suit specific watch, are there any Tudor models that would fit this? Or as Rolex variations as they still a bit too sporty? Pictures and model suggestions are great!

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 18, 2013

Vintage Rolex would work just as well as vintage Tudors, the key is which models. Adam and some other members I'm sure will be willing to post some nice examples here.

3. Superpacker Apr 18, 2013

Good point. My attraction to Tudors is a feel like they are the covert Rolex. Everyone can recognize the Rolex crown. But I like that when many see the Tudor rose or shield, they are unaware that it has Rolex guts inside

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 18, 2013

A couple non-oyster Tudors.

IMG_3149.JPG IMG_3148.JPG

5. Superpacker Apr 18, 2013

XJ50 XJR, those are great. Being new, can you or someone else explain the difference with non-oyster. If I understand correctly, Oyster is Rolex's waterproof casing technology, and as such is on the more sport oriented models. Is that correct? How much could a watch like these be expected to go for?

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 18, 2013

Yes, the oyster case, typified by a screw down back and crown, is usually the style associated with the sporty type Rolex and Tudor watches. The two I posted are snap back cases with non screw-down crowns.

Value, perhaps $500-$700.

7. Superpacker Apr 20, 2013

By the way, can anyone comment as to what vintage Tudor dials are made out of? They almost seem to have a paper texture to some, and I have seen several with an impression left on the dial that matches one or both hands, I guessing from where the watch was left unwound for a long period of time. Are these dials more fragile?

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 20, 2013

I have always felt that the dials tend to be in a better state than many of a similar age. As you say occasionally some burn from the lume on the hands or markers but not a lot of patination compared to others.
    Any others agree ?

9. Superpacker Apr 20, 2013

Oh, its from the lume! That makes sense. And burn is a more like what I was looking for a description. I do agree Alpha that other than burn most Tudor dials look quite nice, however, they still seem to be a bit delicate, resembling a textured paper.

10. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Apr 20, 2013

You will find quite a few watches with textured dials, this is one of mine
    IMG_2970.jpg

Is this the effect you are describing?

Hijak and Dablitzer like this.
  11. TXOMEGA Aug 17, 2013

Here is my dress Tudor with band.JPG vintage Tudor from about 1946-47. 18kt gold numerals and markers.

Still looking for a vintage strap.

12. TXOMEGA Aug 17, 2013

and out in the sun

IMG_2065 (Copy).JPG

SeanO and kyle L like this.
  13. Superpacker Aug 17, 2013

I do like that!