Forums Latest Members
  1. wareagle35 Feb 26, 2017

I just purchased a used Tudor black bay and was curious about others experience with them.

Kreindog24 likes this.
  2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 26, 2017

Experience as in what exactly?
    Accuracy?
    Comfort?
    Style?
    Water Resistance?
    Lume Duration?
    Or experience with Tudor as a company?
    I haven't heard anything too bad about them.
    There was a Hodinkee(I think) video where they went to the museum/HQ and got some history of the company.

I don't have a black bay... or any tudor for that matter. But it seems like most people like them. Which one did you get? Pics? How are you liking it so far?

Hkolka, Kreindog24 and watchme like this.
  3. wareagle35 Feb 26, 2017

Overall experience with the particular watch. I will post pictures as soon as I receive the watch. It is the first version they came out with.

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 26, 2017

Great watch, reliable and beautiful. Never had any issues with time keeping or performance.

However the proportions are a little of IMO. way too thick and bulky and when worn with the NATO which looks amazing, the side view is a little disproportioned. Not a daily wearer for that reason since it is more of a tool rough rider

It was one of my favorites to take to the beach or use as a beater.

Ironically many choose this Tudor as an alternative for a sub since they are shy of wearing a Rolex. My experience is that it's proportions and beauty attracted a lot more attention than my 5512 or 14060M on a Nato or leather ever have. Same on steel.

Veredict: I sold mine as I rather wear the subs or my trusty old tag as a beater...instead I got the Blue heritage Chrono that, which also wears well at the beach or boating but is so radically different from anything I have that it made it more fun to wear.

IMG_1364.PNG
    Edited Feb 26, 2017
  5. Brandon_Dexter Feb 26, 2017

They are ok.
    IMG_5678.JPG

Comfortable, reliable and very easy to read. Great value to boot. Enjoy your new purchase!!

6. Andreas Feb 26, 2017

I never owned one but it looks like tudor has figure it all out with the black bay line. That's why (i think i've read it somewhere) its their best seller line.
    The only thing that i didn't like about it when i tried it on its how the side looks. Too shiny and a bit disproportionate as @Nobel Prize said.
    Also i don't know why but i've notice that a lot of people flip them after a while.
    Personally at that price point i would have gone for a seamaster 2254.50.
    Enjoy and share pics :thumbsup:

Nobel Prize likes this.
  7. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 26, 2017

Love these straps @Brandon_Dexter may I ask where they are from?

8. wareagle35 Feb 26, 2017

I can see Mr.Dexter is a fan

9. Freshprince357 Feb 26, 2017

I was thinking of buying a Black Bay red bezel today. People seem to really love these especially the Black Bay. I don't fully get it. I know they are owned by Rolex. It's like Rolex just made a cheaper knock around Sub and people went bonkers over them. Maybe I'm missing something?

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 26, 2017

Yes, you are

11. omegaaddict Feb 27, 2017

Love my Black Bay Blue. I find it a bit understated and classy and versatile all in one and love wearing it on a night out or at the office.

Here's an old shot when I was in Mt. Kenya

IMG_2845.JPG

And lume of course

IMG_2814.JPG

Buckeyes#1, Hkolka, noelekal and 6 others like this.
  12. kangajack Feb 27, 2017

While Tudor fans may disagree, you are essentially correct.

Freshprince357 likes this.
  13. Kreindog24 Feb 27, 2017

Absolutely love my Black Bay! I get more compliments on it than any other watch I own. Huge fan. It's my daily wear. Still haven't even put on the bracelet. Love the look with the black NATO. Good luck and enjoy your Tudor!!

image.jpeg

Kmart, Omega1, Buckeyes#1 and 5 others like this.
  14. WatchVaultNYC Feb 27, 2017

Its a joy to wear.

Kreindog24 likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 27, 2017

Not sure why this would be off putting to people - they make some very nice watches, and yes they are less expensive than a Rolex branded watch.

To me it's nothing different than Swatch Group, Richemont, LVMH, or Kering Group having brands at different price points within their portfolios...but I guess because it's Rolex (!) it somehow throws a certain group of people for a loop and now they don't understand it.

Not sure if this is more of a US reaction, because Tudor was only re-launched there fairly recently, but for countries where they have always been around, there's nothing to "get" about it. In my view more than ever Tudor stands on it's own as a brand, and quite honestly compared to the shiny and often out of proportion watches Rolex is turning out, Tudor is doing a much better job.

Cheers, Al

16. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 27, 2017

@Archer as long as you are commenting here, and I trust your opinion. Would you agree or disagree in saying that purchasing Tudor is essentially purchases a Rolex quality watch without the Rolex price tag? I've heard this relation be made a few times and am curious.

17. Schmedsc Feb 27, 2017

Thanks guys! This is a timely thread. The Black Bay red is also on my list for this year. I saw one in person recently and it looked chunkier than I was expecting. Now I'm on the fence. I'll think on it a little longer. :confused:

noelekal and Kreindog24 like this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 27, 2017

I suppose it depends what you value. Clearly there are people who value the Rolex name, so if it doesn't have Rolex on the dial, they don't see the point of them. I have not worked on a modern Black Bay, but having serviced a lot of Tudor watches, they are certainly well made.

Up until very recently they used stock movements made by others, but now have gone "in house" on some newer models. I can't say if they use the "precious 904L" on the cases, but honestly I don't really buy into the steel thing anyway.

They are clearly not a Rolex, so I don't know that I would say they are 100% the same for quality with a lower price. I would say you get 80% of the Rolex at 40% of the price is maybe a better ratio...

The new Pelagos is very nice. If it wasn't a destro I might even get past the "in house" movement and get one. If it had an ETA inside, I would probably own one.

Cheers, Al

Edited Feb 27, 2017
  19. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 27, 2017

IMG_0935.JPG IMG_0975.JPG IMG_1054.JPG Was with mine in hawaii got the most wrist time on vacation ... held up well , not as bling as a sub
    Plus on the forums you can get these at or a smudge 2k, there is a lot here for that much... eta tells the time as well as an inhouse so why pay price premium

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 27, 2017

Funny second shot as you just have to google " Rolex on Money " :whistling:

image.jpeg image.jpeg