Forums Latest Members

Tudor Black Bay - help needed, any tudor guys able to assist?

1. NikoMartinez_SYD Jun 21, 2020

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to track down some information the a black bay - I am looking to buy one locally, watch only. Its currently with my watchmaker being checked. Currently its keeping + 2 secs a day and amplitude is at 300 so thats good so far.

Anyway, I am unsure of its year but the ref is 79230. It has the following features:

- Rivet Bracelet
    - Dial: shield and flat line text (not the rose/smiley dial)
    - Movement: case back has been opened and it has the ETA 2824 fitted

QUESTION - is the above combo a true variant?

I am getting lots of conflicting information across the interwebs.
    Your insights are appreciated, TIA ! :)

2. Dsloan Jun 21, 2020

I'm no expert, but that sounds odd. The 79230 should have an in-house MT5602 movement. The 79220 with the rose/smiley dial has the ETA movement.

3. queriver Jun 21, 2020

The ETA BB came with a smiley dial and on a non-rivet bracelet. The ETA case is thinner than the one for the later BBs with in-house movements but I don’t have the dimensions on hand. There was a BB thread here ages ago that had the case thicknesses for comparison.

4. asrnj77 Jun 24, 2020

I think you’ve already received the appropriate responses but just in case you’re still not sure, I’ll add my two cents. The 79230 should NOT have an ETA movement. If it does that would be strange. These watches are abundant so I would avoid strange purchases of any Black Bay and find one that has the movement that was intended.

All that being said, apparently Tudor will swap a “new” movement into a watch that comes in for service and send your old movement into a pile for refurbishment where down the road it will end up in some other watch. I suppose since they aren’t serialized to the watch it doesn’t really matter but I know it still bothers some people

5. stuart70 Jun 26, 2020

How does that work with COSC watches? The North Flag has a clear caseback thus you would be able to see the movement number?

6. asrnj77 Jun 26, 2020

It’s a hotly debated topic over at TRF.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=747471

To answer your question, I don’t think the movement number is linked to the case number. So long as you got another COSC movement, nobody would know if that movement was the one that originally came with it excerpt Tudor/Rolex