Forums Latest Members

Tudor Black Bay 58 - Good and Bad AD Experiences

1. giorgio.a Oct 22, 2018

I decided to get on the list for a Tudor Black Bay 58 because if it fits my wrist I will probably buy it. So yesterday I went to Westfield Stratford in London to do some shopping with my partner and I checked out two different ADs. And this brings me to one of the worst and one of the best AD experiences I've ever had.

The first AD I checked out was Ernest Jones (obviously Westfield Stratford branch). First spoke to a lady who told me I could get on the list although there are 33 people already so it might be a while. Then she called a guy who made me try the Black Bay 41. And this guy was basically a very proud bullsh*tter. He immediately started to show off (who cares? I'm here to buy a watch!) and told me so much absurdities about the Black Bay and my Omega (which he noticed on my wrist) losing credibility. For example first he thought I was after the GMT and I had to really explain that the 58 was not the GMT because he had a hard time understanding what the 58 was (!!!) - and then he told me that the 58 comes with more than one strap. You can really tell they don't know their product. Then he told me that their waiting list is made of more than 80 people and you can't get in. At which point I left because it was clear the guy was incompetent and didn't know what he was talking about.
    Mind you, I have nothing against Ernest Jones, I purchased my Omega there (in SW London) and had a very decent experience.

Then I walked out and went to Fraser Hart (still Westfield Stratford branch) and the experience was the total opposite. I spoke to 2 different salespersons who were very clearly passionate about the product, polite and friendly. They were simply great people to be around: respectful, passionate and positive. They gave me clear information: there is a list, it takes about 12 months (but it could take less) and to get in you have to leave a £500 refundable deposit. You change your mind at any point, you get your money back. Before, I saw a problem with leaving a deposit for a Tudor but then this experience changed my mind. I now struggle to see what's wrong with it. It is a highly requested watch and asking for a deposit narrows it down to the really interested customers. Plus, there is no risk as you can get your money back at any time. So I decided to leave the deposit and left grateful for being in contact with such nice people.

But the point of this post is the bad and good AD experience.
    Some dealers are just bad dealers. They are prone to narcissism and snobbery, they believe they are important and treat their customers as unimportant. I think this is even more so when there is a waiting list involved. They will create obstacles and tell you it's impossible. They will play the exclusiveness game. Not true.
    We have the power to ignore the bad dealers. We have the power to just politely walk away and go somewhere else, where they treat you as a valuable customer and asset. I believe it is worth it for your experience.

In the end, this was not about the watch at all, who cares if I end up buying it or not. When it comes to salespersons and ADs we have the power of choice, and that's wonderful!

Edited Oct 22, 2018
  2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Oct 22, 2018

I bought my Tudor GMT at Ernest Jones in Stratford Westfield. The customer service was pretty poor.

They were polite when talking to them, but didn’t even offer me a seat while I was waiting to collect it (so I took one anyway, as I was waiting a while).

Thinking of buying using their finance? Don’t ask questions as they don’t have a clue about the terms (to the extent I bought it outright instead).

I know it is an AD which sells lots of different brands and types of jewellery so it can’t give you that boutique style dedicated service, but still a bit disappointing. Definitely not a great experience, but the watch is lovely and that’s the main thing.

3. arcadelt Oct 22, 2018

There's a video of these incidents? I'd like to see that, especially in the "bad" AD.

4. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 22, 2018

Should have had each shop change your strap out and see had the least scratches.
    Hope your 58 is speedy in shipping.

5. amiriqbal Oct 31, 2018

Also had a good experience at Fraser heart in Edinburgh when buying my GMT in July.

Was on holiday, and walking around local watch shops, while the wife did her own shopping when I spotted a BB gmt on the fabric strap out in the window. I thought it must be display model, with the wait lists and all, but would be good to check it out.

Imagine my surprise when it was in fact the real deal!! The sales attendant was a young chap who was really into Tudor and knew the brand history, and range, inside out. He was actually trying to buy this very watch himself but could not get funds together, so he was slightly put out I bought it!!

Apparently everyone who had pre-ordered/on lists had specified the bracelet version and this was a totally unexpected delivery to the store. Had been sitting for only 48hrs before I snapped it up.

While there got chatting with him and another sales assistant about the BB58. Both had added themselves to the preorder list also.

They were all really into the brand and clearly knew what they were talking about which made it all a pleasant and confidence inspiring process :)

Edited Dec 31, 2018
    giorgio.a likes this.