Forums Latest Members

Tudor BB Pro GMT or Moonwatch

1. reverbtime Jul 23, 2022

Right now my only high-end watch is a black, non-wave SMPc (212.30.41.20.01.003). Looking to get a chrono or GMT watch (never owned a watch with those functions before).

Really like the classic Moonwatch (Hesalite version, 3861 mov.), and the new Tudor BB Pro GMT (my AD has both). These are some of the pros/cons so far I've seen:

I know these two are quite different, but which one would you go for? My wrist size is 6.5 in

BTW: value retention is not an important factor since I very seldom sell my watches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Omega Speedmaster 310.30.42.50.01.001:

Pros:

Classic and timeless design, with a rich history
    Better proportions for my 6.5. in. wrist
    METAS certified

Cons:

More expensive
    Has non-sapphire crystal
    50m WR, with printed logo

Tudor Black Bay Pro GMT:

Pros:

In house-movement
    200m WR
    Less expensive

Cons:

Very thick and heavy
    Not a homage per se since Rolex owns Tudor, but is less original design wise than the Speedy; since it resembles very much the vintage Rolex Explorer from the 70's.
    Has riveted bracelet, which I'm not a huge fan of

Edited Jul 23, 2022
    Ron_W likes this.
  2. ConElPueblo Jul 23, 2022

If you need to dive 50M+ with your watch, wouldn't you take the Seamaster anyway?

Btw, the BB Pro has a sapphire crystal as well ;)

reverbtime likes this.
  3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 23, 2022

I really like the BB Pro, but I would get the Speedmaster over the Tudor. Just me.

4. bmpennington Jul 23, 2022

I would go with the Omega personally, but it really depends on your intent with the watch. I own Omegas, but have never owned Tudor. I would go with a Rolex instead.

5. Ron_W Jul 23, 2022

If there is no NEED for a GMT, then Speedmaster all the way !

6. YY77 Jul 23, 2022

For me decision woould be based on how much use you'll get out of the GMT compared to a chronograph in your daily life.

7. Twocats Married... with children Jul 23, 2022

Buy the Speedy with hopefully a 10% boutique discount and use that discount to buy a new Seiko 5 GMT masterpiece.

Tudor is a great watch brand but a speedy is a speedy at the end of the day. I have a few watches and my speedy is my go to watch 99% of the time.

TwinPeaks, Om3ga321 and reverbtime like this.
  8. stevec14 Jul 23, 2022

I’m amazed you find the Tudor ‘very thick and heavy’. It’s less than 1mm taller than the speedy and wears smaller than the speedy.

i have both, and they are very different watches. What do you need/ want more - a gmt with a bit of water resistance or a chrono. Ultimately that will be your decision maker rather than cross brand comparisons.

watchyouwant and reverbtime like this.
  9. Faz Jul 23, 2022

I have the hots for the Tudor Pro lately so my vote goes there.

10. reverbtime Jul 23, 2022

I have an eye on a Seiko Orange GMT. Future classics!

Twocats likes this.
  11. KeithS Jul 23, 2022

I really wanted to like the Black Bay Pro, but a snowflake hour hand with round indices looks off to me. I wish they would have used a different hour hand or at least square indices. My vote goes to the Speedmaster.

12. omegawatchlover Jul 23, 2022

The BB pro GMT is simply a homage watch, a wannabe Rolex 1655. The speedy however, is an iconic timepiece that stands on its own.
    If you do like Tudor, the BB58 is the better choice.

Tudor bracelets just suck. The finish isn’t there and the links are chunky. I’m sure you’ve heard how much Omega has upgraded the speedy bracelet.
    Get the Omega, it is perfect in all ways.

Twocats and OMEGAWD2020 like this.
  13. Strat25 Jul 25, 2022

Just sold a BB GMT as I have an appt with Omega AD in a few weeks and I have a feeling a Speedy is coming home. I just felt like the Tudor isn’t as iconic as the Omega.

14. themattedial Jul 25, 2022

The slab case makes it look thicker than the speedy pro for sure.

15. arkman Jul 25, 2022

For me it would be easy. One is a nice watch. The other is a classic.

16. stevec14 Jul 26, 2022

Agreed, but it’s it’s not a slab like the 41’s for sure. It wears like a 5 digit sea dweller.

Once on the wrist the thickness becomes a non-issue IMO.

vbrad26 likes this.
  17. themattedial Jul 26, 2022

Yes — tried one at an AD recently. Agree on the comparison… def feels larger and taller than a speedy pro IMO. Fun watch though and feels indestructible.

18. vbrad26 Jul 26, 2022

Doesn't matter much. Because give it a year or so and you will probably end up buying whichever one you originally didn't lol.
    At least that is what happened to me....sort of.
    I was looking at a Tudor Black Bay (with the ETA movement) and the Speedy back in early 2018, when both could be had for roughly the same price.
    I ended up with the Speedy, because I knew deep down that's what I REALLY wanted. I loved the look, the history and I knew it was a watch that someday I would have.
    Then, later that year the Black Bay GMT is introduced, and I immediately decided that I wanted that one too. I wanted a GMT as well (I like tool watches) and I knew the 16570 that I REALLY wanted was probably not in the cards.
    But with availability being an issue early on...and then the date wheel issue presenting itself, I ended up holding off for a while til I got one at the end of last year.

Now that the history is out of the way...my thoughts on the two?
    I like the Speedy more, but now the GMT gets more wrist time.
    I don't baby my watches, but I was always worried about the Speedy. With it being hesalite, I was always very mindful and cautious of banging it on stuff, to the point of almost annoyance. And then the whole water resistance thing. I know, I know. It would be fine. But I still was always very cautions about getting it wet.
    So all of the above left me wanting something that I felt was a little more rugged. Something that I wouldn't be so "worried" about.
    Enter the Tudor GMT. like I said, it has taken over in terms of wrist time. But for me it just serves a different purpose.
    As for its wrist presence? It definitely feels thicker than the Speedy though technically it is hardly just. And I think that has everything to do with the case. It's just a thick, polished slab of metal, where as the Speedy gets its thickness from the domed caseback and crystal.
    Maybe I'm not as picky as some, I don't mind any of the characteristics that people usually see as a negative. I don't think it is too thick or heavy, I don't care about the crappy bracelet and its rivets, and I sure as shit don't care about people saying it is just a Rolex wannabe.

Just realized I've typed a damn book. Sorry.
    At the end of the day it comes down to what YOU want. Will you use a chrono more than a GMT? Do you want something a little more casual than dressy? Do you care about water resistance?
    But I still stand by my earlier comment that if you are anything like me, you'll just end up with both at some point.

reverbtime likes this.
  19. Strat25 Jul 26, 2022

I immediately loved the BB GMT when I saw it. Being so frustrated on getting a Rolex (I do have a 5513) and how ridiculous the whole a$$ kissing just to get on a wait list...? I would never do that. BUT, I did want something that was an update of the a sub, and that is where the GMT came in from Tudor. (I had previously also had an Exp II and I like the GMT capability) The Tudor is understated, bit a of a throwback. But after wearing it, admittedly with the bracelet on, it just felt clunky. The size didn't bother me, but it just felt heavy slightly sliding around on my wrist. Enter the Vanguard rubber strap and it was a total game changer. Loved the watch on that. However, in the end, as a legacy watch to hand down to one of my kids, I just wanted something a little bit more iconic, with some history...and now I've really set my sights on the Speedy, so I recently sold the BB GMT. Still not sure hes or saph, but as I tend to wear my watches and don't put them in the safe...I'm leaning towards sapphire. As I've never tried one on I'm excited to see them in person in a few weeks. (I live in an area where there are no AD's)

vbrad26 likes this.
  20. longlifegoods Aug 15, 2022

Buy both :D

crd likes this.