Forums Latest Members
  1. Yogi Nov 16, 2016

Was taking a look at both of these watches and was wondering if anyone here on the forums had any opinions on the differences between the two or owned one?

Aesthetically speaking I feel the 79220n has a nicer look with the rose logo and curved print. However the 79230n packs the in house MT5602 movement. I have been reading reviews and comparisons on both, but haven't seen much here on the forums.

I'm on the fence between the small aesthetic differences and the value in having a solid in house movement. I understand the ETA has stood the test of time, just looking to see what a few others think. Any responses are much appreciated. I'm very new to the watch scene, but value the knowledge and input of the members here.

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 16, 2016

PPPPP....pppppp....ppppp...pictures?

mikechi22 and oddboy like this.
  3. gr8sw Nov 16, 2016

I prefer the older ETA model... I understand the new in-house movement also makes the new case thicker by ~1.5mm

BlueBoy and Foo2rama like this.
  4. mattonthewater Nov 16, 2016

ETA. Frankly the point of Tudor was to have all of the quality of Rolex but WITHOUT an inhouse movement. The new ones kinda buck that tradition (I understand the reasons, but heritage sake tells me Tudor's should have ETA's and yes, I know WAY back they did use some Rolex calibers, but that stopped rather quickly)

ossfm likes this.
  5. Jking something intelligent and witty... Nov 16, 2016

I prefer the dial of the 79220N myself...I almost pulled the trigger on one a few months back but unfortunately my car ate my watch budget. Honestly I'm fine with the ETA as it's a known workhorse. Sometimes you never know what issue may appear with a new movement (here's looking at you Omega 2500a/b/c)...couple that with the fact I find it more visually appealing with a lower cost and to me it's an easy choice. But I'm sure you'd get an outstanding watch no matter which you choose.

Hans the Wolf likes this.
  6. Yogi Nov 16, 2016

@Nobel Prize, it was actually your sales ad that originally grabbed my attention on this one, attached are the two dials. Appreciate the info and opinions. @gr8sw yea the newer model is a bit taller, the bottom of the case has a bubble to it rather than straight. Going to touch base with local AD hoping they have the 79220n to do a side by side.

IMG_2838.JPG IMG_2839.JPG
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 16, 2016

Aesthetically I'd go with the ETA. Also it will be easier to service and the movement is proven and reliable

Edited Nov 16, 2016
    Foo2rama, ulackfocus and Drawarms like this.
  8. ossfm Nov 16, 2016

Nobel Prize said it. The ETA should be serviceable by just about anyone. I'm really loving the Heritage Black Bays right now. I would really like to have one. The whole reason is the case shape/quality and the snowflake hands. Then of course there's the price. You get all that coolness for a lower price! How can you beat that.

If you now throw in the in-house movement, I feel that will just increase the price in the end for no real gain. I know, I know; everyone drools over in-house movements. I mostly understand why. But I have to say, I have 2 ETA watches that are 10 and 20 years old respectively. They keep the best time of any of my watches so far. I'm very happy with that. Maybe after another 10 years in the hobby, I'll reach the level where I demand the in-house. Maybe you'll get there too. Until then, enjoy the ETA.

Plus, as mattonthewater says, everyone knows Tudors have ETA movements so you're not taking a hit there in any way.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 16, 2016

Here's a spin....ETA ARE IN HOUSE MOVEMENTS! Just a slightly bigger house.

George.A and watchme like this.
  10. ulackfocus Nov 16, 2016

After 10 years in the hobby, you'll be so sick of paying outrageous service fees on in-house movements that you'll go back to ETA. ;)

ossfm likes this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 16, 2016

Yeah but it's the neighbors house.

Seacow, ConElPueblo, George.A and 4 others like this.
  12. ncstate1201 Nov 20, 2016

Eta...

13. ncstate1201 Nov 20, 2016

Otherwise you get sucked into the parts game

14. CharlesGenta Nov 20, 2016

My 2 cents preference is with the ETA 79220N. Having worn both, here's why.

First, ETA 79220N was introduced in Oct 14th, 2015, and before you know it, the 79230N was introduced in March 2016 @ BaselWorld. Only about 6 months later. It will likely be the most scarce of the current Black Bays (barring future limited editions etc.)

Second, the extra thickness of the 79230N really does make the watch feel top heavy. I found the ETA felt more "natural" on the wrist. As my "every-day" watch, I felt the ETA was more comfortable.

Third, anecdotally, folks seems to like the rose more than the shield and I do too. If Tudor continues with the shield for all future models, it makes the rose all the more special.

Fourth, maintenance should be cheaper with the very reliable and proven 2824 movement.

Seacow likes this.
  15. Yogi Nov 21, 2016

Thanks for all the info and opinions! Contacted local AD and they have 79220N in stock. Stopping in this week and will hopefully be able to strike a deal and have some fresh pics. Been lurking here for a while so will be nice to finally get in the game and get a collection started.

16. Balthazaar His mother warned him he'd go blind. Sep 3, 2017

Great thread. I've been wanting a Heritage Black Bay since my friend tried one on last year and I fell in lust with them. Finally got the finance and excuse to justify one a few weeks ago but have been tossing up over the 79220B or 79230B, trying to figure out whether the extra reserve and COSC balanced out the extra weight and aesthetics (prefer the old text/rose to the new face). The points many of you made about the ETA being a proven workhorse and easier/cheaper to maintain has sold me. Pulled the trigger on one of the last 3 79220Bs in Sydney yesterday. Got a great deal with the help of my mate Ruftyroo and some great service from Adrian at Watches of Switzerland (I hope I'm allowed to mention the AD)

Foo2rama likes this.