Forums Latest Members
  1. EdtheAussie Jan 7, 2017

Hey guys,

I posted over on the discussion thread about my adventure to an Antiques fair, which I will be heading back to today to possibly purchase some of the cheaper pieces, but would like your opinions on this snowflake one of the dealers had.

I know the bracelet is a fake, however would like your opinion on the watch. My concern is that i know the 7021/7016 are susceptible to dial rot, and not sure if this is a service dial or an original in really good condition.

Currently offered at 6500 aud, but the dealer said he was willing to deal.

Anyway enough of me talking, here are the photo's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EdtheAussie Jan 7, 2017

Here are some extras from today

IMG_20170108_123057.jpg IMG_20170108_123049.jpg IMG_20170108_123041.jpg

3. omitohud Jan 7, 2017

If you can post pictures between the lugs. But based on those pics, it looks good. The bracelet is obviously aftermarket. Interestingly it has roulette date wheel, so it's an early piece. Yet the insert is from early 80's and it's cracked. Blue inserts r hard to come by nowadays. The hands are correct. Overall a nice looking head. I guess it depends on the price.

I blame it on the autoconnect.

4. EdtheAussie Jan 7, 2017

Thank you for the reply @omitohud - yes before buying i would ask to see the movement and between the lugs, but was hard to do at the busy centre we were at and I had already been twice to takes photo's. The bezel insert looked in good nick, however saying it from the early 80's seems correct as the pearl in the top still glowed slightly but the triangle looked worn.

What would you think is a fair price? i've seen a few offered for 5k+ (usd) on different sites

5. omitohud Jan 10, 2017

Hi Ed. Maybe it's too late but given the condition if you can get it around $4000 to $4500 US it would be a good deal. Make sure you check the movement and the engraving between the lugs. Good luck.

6. EdtheAussie Jan 10, 2017

Thanks @omitohud , the fair has ended but I will keep in contact with the dealer. On TRF they had stated I should be wary of rubbing the ill sized bracelet may have caused so that will also be assessed with lug shots. They also had other quams but I think overall they were very negative.

Is the cracked bezel a big issue? And what is the going rate for one?

7. omitohud Jan 10, 2017

That's the problem with aftermarket bracelets, they were not made to spec. Take it off n see if the end links scrape the engraving or cut into the lugs. The TRF crowd is a very picky bunch. Can't blame them since some senior members have seen thousands of watches pass through them. I don't think the watch is a safe queen but at least from the pictures, the head looks legit imo. Here is mine for comparison.

As for the bezel, no it's not a big issue if it's tight n it doesn't bother you. It's a genuine Rolex part. A nice one is hard to come by n the cost is usually $500 n up to over 1k depending on condition, fade, etc.

[​IMG]

EdtheAussie likes this.