Forums Latest Members

trying to stay focused. how do you do it?

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 13, 2015

Hey guys,

I've got a short list of pieces I'm looking for, two watches actually.

I'm checking the sites, sniffing out new ones, etc. And not having a lot of luck. I know, patience is key.

Every now and then, I come across one that is close, or even something new. It's hard not to compromise with something that is close, or giving in and dropping funds into something I probably didn't really want anyway.

So, question is: how do you stay focused?

2. RCAFBuster Feb 13, 2015

Good things come to those who wait. It can get demoralising when you don't get to add to your collection in a long while (we all like gratification), but stick to your aim.

citizenrich and oddboy like this.
  3. redpcar Feb 13, 2015

I use tequila ;)

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 13, 2015

Well, we don't always. Sometimes another watch catches our fancy or distracts us. This can cause a sudden draining of watch funds and a delay of goals. Then just your luck a long targeted watch comes along when you don't have the funds. It is all part of the game.:D

5. 250scr Feb 13, 2015

Depends what you are looking for. You are obviously looking for something that is on the rare side, so that will take time as it's "rare". I've been lucky to get several watches in the last month, as the things I am looking for, are not that rare.

Edited by a mod Feb 13, 2015
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 13, 2015

Please write out your words, we have many non English speakers here and it makes difficult for some to follow you if you are using, 4, r, u , etc., instead of words.

7. 250scr Feb 13, 2015

Ok, sorry. I am so used to texting and I abbreviate everything so it doesn't take so much time. I will write everything out. Thank you

Tritium, Spacefruit and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. SeanO Feb 14, 2015

look at whatever it is that has distracted you,

look at your watchfund,

decide if you have enough money to get both.....

if you do fine, if you don't then sigh and make the tough decision.

9. Davidt Feb 14, 2015

It's Sod's law. When you're looking they aren't avalable, but as soon as you buy one or something ele, a glut comes along. Buy a new box/strap etc to put you on. The chase is half of the fun!

citizenrich likes this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2015

You have to keep funds on hand for the epic impulse purchases too, if you deplete your reserves, the exact watch you want will pop up at a decent price.

citizenrich and 250scr like this.
  11. alfanator Feb 14, 2015

If you enjoy focusing, focus. If not then do not. This is just a leisurely hobby to indulge in.

dougiedude, pitpro, x3no and 2 others like this.
  12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 14, 2015

The Watch Gods do like to amuse themselves.

sxl2004, Larry S, citizenrich and 2 others like this.
  13. x3no Feb 14, 2015

Just like any hobby, no amount of research is considered "too much". Keep patient, keep researching, and know what you like so that when the time comes and the perfect piece comes along, you have a plan, and can purchase it. Otherwise until then, the watch fund can never get too large either :D

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 14, 2015

No, no, it can't. It can hardly get large enough. :(

Stewart H and x3no like this.
  15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 14, 2015

I guess the key is to just find more $$$

fundraising-1.jpg

sxl2004 and dougiedude like this.
  16. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Feb 14, 2015

Simple ;)
    Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 21.16.26.png

oddboy likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Feb 14, 2015

Did somebody call me? :p It takes YEARS to get discipline in this hobby, and even then it's possible for the Golden Squirrel of Distraction to bite you once in a while.

GSoD.jpg

These guys know this first hand - and add me to the list of collectors the Watch Gods have snickered at. However, it's amazing how much money you can find for the right specimen. :whistling: Eating 3 meals a day is overrated anyway. ::facepalm2:: Spring of 2011 comes to mind - snagged some EPIC vintage pieces (Omega pie pans, AP ultra-thin, a few sweet Longines) and had to let some pretty nice examples go to partially fund the new purchases. It's a function of replaceability at first....

oddboy and micampe like this.
  18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 15, 2015

Simple. Never look at the WRUW thread on this forum. Or the "And What Did You Buy Today" thread. Or anything posted by the likes of MSNWatch or LouS or MattS or several other local miscreants. Or any thread in an Italian forum that says anything like "Oggi al polso" or "Censimento." Or any German thread at all. You'll end up very, very, distracted and off course. Ignorance is focus.

LouS and oddboy like this.
  19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 15, 2015

Dionysius know what he speaks, this goes back to generations of distraction where Dennis (aka Dionysius) is directly linked to golden squirrel royalty.
    squirrel-acorn-bling.jpg

MMMD likes this.
  20. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 15, 2015

New forum mascot at Casa MMMD. A Sugar Glider, i.e. an Australian marsupial flying squirrel.
    What's more ΩF than that? Will be fitting him for a golden tux as soon as he's fully grown.

[​IMG]