Forums Latest Members

Trying to learn, a first excercise

1. jljl123 Dec 16, 2016

Hello, I've always admired UG from afar, now I'm trying to learn. Thought I'd bring up a watch I saw and learn what's wrong or not wrong with it, I'd greatly, greatly appreciate any teaching points and corrections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what I read, Uni-Compaxes, as this one is listed as, were produced starting 1936. The case number seems to match that, putting the watch between 1930-1938. The fact that there is no second serial number also apparently puts the watch to at least before 1937?

Yet the seller lists the watch as being from the 1950's. Is this based on the dial? Is the dial from another UG watch?

Below are the resources I used that others have generously shared here already.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    UG Noob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 17, 2016

More like the seller is a lazy f..k who has no idea what he is selling. You are doing your homework.

keywerd likes this.
  3. 10H10 Dec 17, 2016

Hmmm, I think he perfecly knows, considering that he correctly dated all the other UG he is selling... Curiously he dated this one from the 50' instead of 1936, why ?... Maybe it is because the dial is IMHO a redial, note the font thickness difference between the two subdials, some others expert opinion would be appreciated, if it is a redone, 6.700 $ is a rip-off.

Larry S likes this.
  4. jljl123 Dec 17, 2016

Thank you guys for your valuable input, I went ahead and DM'd the seller to hear their explanation, will follow up with you on what they say. Thanks again! And any other thoughts at all are welcome!

5. jljl123 Dec 18, 2016

Ok so they agreed that it's from the 30's and not the 50's.

In regards to the dial, the scales and sub dials seem to match other images I've found of Compurs. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This brings me to the question, what exactly is the difference between a Compur and a Uni-Compax? I read a great post outlining Uni-Compaxes, stating they succeeded Compurs in 1936 and typically had a 285 movement.
    Since this watch is likely from 1936/37 it would be right at the cutoff point I guess, but is there a distinct difference?

In regards to the 285 movement, watch wiki states that it didn't come out until the 40's but the top example above is a compur also from 1936 with a 285 movement. Anyone know what the correct year is that the movement actually came out?

If I get these issues sorted out I might actually make an offer on this watch, but how steep is the $6700 asking price? I've seen similar models listed as low as the $1-2K range, granted with worse condition dials or malfunctioning movements. In other words how much does condition boost the price with UG's?

Sorry this post is so long, thank you if you read this far!

Edited Dec 18, 2016