Forums Latest Members
  1. MRJ300 Oct 28, 2017

Hi everyone -- I'm trying to ID my dad's old 1960s Seamaster Deville pictured here. I've read the guidelines for posting and apologize in advance that I only have the two (rather poor) photos. I dropped this watch off at my local Omega shop for servicing the other day and only after that did my curiosity get the better of me. Thought I'd be able to get info from the people at the shop or dig it up rather easily on the internet but so far I haven't been able to find a photo of this exact model. I've also asked if the Omega service department can provide info but thought I'd run it by the forum in the interim (was told it might take up to six months for the service!). Anyway ... the backstory is that my grandmother bought this watch for my dad (now deceased) on his 21st birthday in 1964. It's all gold, engraved on the back with a date of March 1964. He wore it often on an omega bracelet (which I also still have--see photos--but which the people at the shop told me was likely not the original but added slightly later). I'd love to know the reference and movement, just for my own curiosity, and of course anything else interesting that anyone may happen to know. I wonder what the original strap likely was. I've asked Omega for some suggestions on a replacement that would be in line with the original but haven't heard back from them yet. The photos here are taken against a page from a large book they had in the shop with many different vintage Omega ads. These were the closest I could find to my dad's watch but still not the exact model I think. One other thing: of all the photos I've looked at on the internet of 1960s Seamasters, I've never noticed one with the date magnifier on the crystal. I suspect that maybe my dad had the crystal replaced at some point. Thanks in advance (and again sorry about the photos!).

Mike
    IMG_7019.jpg IMG_7020.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0342.jpg

2. kreyke Oct 28, 2017

Generally, we don’t advise servicing with omega as they are not very sympathetic towards vintages.

Their aim is to refurbish it to a brand new condition and they do not really aim to retain its originality. This might not matter to you but collectors mind that and it affects how much we are willing to pay for a watch. Moreover, omega tend to charge a lot more for servicing as well.

With regards to this model, I believe it is a monocoque case where the movement pops out from the front. Removing the movement will show you its model number stamped at the back of the case.

Your watch looks to be in good condition and the dial still has its original finish so that is a plus.

With regards to the crystal, I’m not sure if omega does one with a magnifying window. I heard they do but I don’t own any. Original omega crystals should have a tiny omega logo in the centre of the crystal.

That’s about all I can contribute. :)

frederico likes this.
  3. DON Oct 29, 2017

Bracelet is incorrect. Would have been a 7 link model similar to this one

DON

[​IMG]