Forums Latest Members

Trying to get my first speedmaster

1. DoctorA Oct 17, 2019

I have several rolexes, including both white and black ceramic ss daytona (for reference on my existing Chronos)
    I would like to add a speedmaster to the collection
    I have a 7.6” wrist so prefer42 or 44mm cases

I’m torn between several ones

I like the iconic hesalite and like the clearest back and scratch resistance on the sapphire model

I like the look of the Apollo 8 anniversary and like the history of the Apollo 11 anniversary

I like the GSOTM dial and consider the blue 2020 olympics

I know I feel like a kid in a candy shop! But any advice or consensus would be appreciated

I tried them all on except the Apollo 11 and I would be super happy with any of them!

2. GMTspeedmaster Oct 17, 2019

Apollo 8 is perfect for your wrist size

3. Martin_F Oct 17, 2019

Just start at the top of the list! ;)
    For me it would be Hesalite.

Speedy2254 likes this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 17, 2019

5. RazorFrazer Oct 17, 2019

I would go with Grey side of the moon or Apollo 8 … Both are in bigger case sizes !

6. RazorFrazer Oct 17, 2019

Its a great watch. I didn't expect to bond with mine as hard as I did. Mine is the classic hesalite black dial. I rarely take it off . I would imagine those Daytona's have a similar affect ! ( I hope ) .

7. BradleyJ. Oct 17, 2019

My vote is on the GSOTM.

8. Pilot85 Oct 17, 2019

Apollo 8 is a beauty:)

9. Bp1000 Oct 17, 2019

I’m struggling to answer this. And yet I’m a bit of an omega collector.

Reason why I’m struggling is I would always advise anyone looking for their first speedy to go with the hesalite on leather. It’s very versatile, looks incredible on the leather deployant and is a classic.

However I own various other chronos by omega that have so much individual charm. The Apollo 11 is one of them.

Thwre is no point in me naming the rest, most are 39mm and will be too small for you. But I do find that curious as you are a Daytona fan, they wear on the small side of 39mm.

I’m not a fan of gimmick watches like the Apollo 8. However if it’s your thing, it’s an incredible and intricate design that if it works for you, would be a lovely addition.

My fav speedy is this but it’s 38.6mm

[​IMG]

But I would recommend the Apollo 11, my second fav

[​IMG]

Against the Daytona from similar angle it doesn’t automatically look tonnes bigger

[​IMG]

Then there is the classic hesalite

[​IMG]

You can of course go with the bracelet and add the leather which is cheaper if you want / need the bracelet. The reason why I keep saying hesalite is because it’s unmistakably speedy. That domed Crystal even in profile and in clarity is just lovely. No doubt it scratches but it’s easy to fix and cheap to replace.

Marty McDawg likes this.
  10. Duckie Oct 17, 2019

The Apollo 8 is indeed a most interesting watch.
    I would be inclined to prioritise it if one is after a larger variant.
    The classic Hesalite Moonwatch should be a must.

11. SeanO Oct 18, 2019

I'd probably roll with the Trilogy or the FOIS.

but if you're going to buy a sheepmaster then the classic is still the best option on a bracelet.

It'll also be the easiest to offload (with the least depreciation) if it doesn't flip your wig.

12. Pilot85 Oct 18, 2019

Can you still find an Apollo 11 50th???