Forums Latest Members

Trying to get a ballpark valuation and repair/restoration advice 1940-1943 CAL:30T2, REF:2169

1. Scotttocs Sep 23, 2014

I have just received from a great-uncle a 1940-1942 Cal30T2, Ref2169, which is not currently operational. I believe it was purchased by him new, probably East coast of the US.

I took it to a local Omega Boutique, and they confirmed that, as well as the face that the bracelet is a completely non-original, and I would likely replace it.

However, before I spend on trying to repair/refurbish, would like some opinions. I've not seen a dial like this one.

IMG_20140923_195008.jpg IMG_20140923_195030.jpg
    initialjh likes this.
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 23, 2014

Looks like a correct 2169 to me. The dial and hands are original. Bracelet is not

initialjh likes this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2014

Hi Scottocs,
    Welcome to the forum!
    Scottocs doesn't rhyme with buttocks does it?

Just joking here, we are all friends at a pub, having a great celebration of the art and craftsmanship of fine watches, especially Omega.

You have a wonderful WWII era (military was the 2179 caliber, not 2169) watch that appears that it may have an original dial.

The bracelet is of no value but I would love to see inside the caseback and a picture of the watch movement.

I just watched a similar piece 2179 sell for $460 and yours has little military connection and possibly lesser condition quality (all speculative without seeing in-hand).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201168639758?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

To sum up, we need complete pictures to tell for sure, we need to know why it's not working (maybe a biggie!), but I think you have a nice watch that would be valued about $3-400 US.

I would do nothing to the watch head except clean and oil and fix what's not working, I would find a nice '40's strap and then I would wear the hell out of it as a super cool, historic piece!

Your watch + strap($30) + service($150) = $4-500 or so to this dude!

As is, $3-400ish.

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 23, 2014

Dear UncleBuck

Ref 2169 does exist powered by a 30T2 , Ref 2179 is a bit thicker because it hosts a 30T2SC.

This is my 2169 and the other one belongs to Mike

2169 1.jpg 2169 2.jpg

Waynepjr and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  5. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2014

Scott,
    I failed to mention how cool it is that your uncle owned this and I failed to mention how cool it is to wear a vintage watch and dream about the world that your watch has seen before it got to you and to where it is going after you!

As a family heirloom, values are doubled or more (maybe priceless), but realize that these memories don't mean a thing outside of your family.

Waynepjr and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  6. CdnWatchDoc Sep 23, 2014

Pics aren't the best, but I think it may be an original crown (would need shots from the sides). I find those hands to be a great design feature...
    I just received a similar piece from Dablitzer, in fine vintage shape and working very well. It is a case number 2165 with a 26.5 T3; not the same genes, but a cousin for sure!
    [​IMG]
    Pic courtesy of Dablitzer

Waynepjr likes this.
  7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 23, 2014

Greetings, Hoi!
    Was the 2169 ever a military issue?
    I felt the sub-second 2169 was the base model for civilians and the 2179 was for our finest!
    This isn't based on research but on pure gut feeling.
    I would love to learn more!

8. Scotttocs Sep 24, 2014

The crown is a completely clean, no emblem. Personally not sure what original was for this obviously.

Thank you UncleBuck! I've got to shop around for repairs then - The Omega Boutique quoted $1200 to repair it, which doesn't seem to make much sense.

I haven't actually opened it up, they did that and got the numbers for me.

9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 24, 2014

$1200 is insane, especially considering they don't know what is wrong or if parts are available. Sounds like a "let's cover our ass (arse), we don't really want to do this" quote.
    Find a good, older, local watchmaker, let him tell you what he needs and then let us help you find it!

I'm a sophomore collector and I may be missing something, but I have seen these movements around and I don't think you should have to spend anywhere near that amount.

I also feel the crown is good, the older pieces didn't have the emblem.

10. Waynepjr Sep 24, 2014

If you are ever down, suicidal, just about to give up, then go into the Omega Boutique and ask for a vintage watch estimate. You are guaranteed to roll out laughing uncontrollably and know your are not crazy, it's them!! :taunt:

Wayne

Stewart H, Mothra and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  11. TexOmega Sep 24, 2014

Wow, that one on ebay looks great. Is it all original? Clean dial and movement.

Great pictures or a great specimen? or Both?

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 24, 2014

Well, it sounds a personal experience we are talking ;) Care to share?
    After 6 months joining this forum I can explain better about new Omega watch in boutique than their sales person :D. Then they called their supervisor and we have a good chat. When talking about Omega history and vintage watches they know very little. I am bit surprised since I thought it is one of their strong selling point (I might be mistaken, WIS is only less than 1% of buyer population I heard). I could be better sales person there (or worse......."don't buy this sir , it is not collectible :p )

13. Waynepjr Sep 26, 2014

Oh I got a hoot the last time I went to my Omega Boutique. Now we just got one here a year ago along with a Breitling, Rolex and Tag in the same venue all within a of each year of each other. Now I am not a boutique hawk, one to sit on the rails outside the stores waiting for the newest Dark Side of Your Wallet to come out. I do know a few in town like that. ::screwloose:: I am not into the new pieces at all. Well, if I had the funds I when I was working I would have a Bullhead, I cannot fib. :unsure:
    So, I roll in the store. Those who know me know why, and I see this lovely Asian woman. She nods, I nod back. We are greeted!! I start to look at the Dark Side of the Wallet in the Brink's 5000 12 key case and she walks up. Wawawawawawa. What? Wawawawawawawa. Did I just me Charlie Brown's teacher?? The store manager comes up to say this is their newest employee from China ( NO!!!! ) and her English is not that good. ( NO!!!! ) Omega thought since we were are such the world tourist Mecca with Mickey and all we needed a Chinese speaking person in the Boutique. They need all Spanish, not Chinese!! And English is a must, HELLO!!!! Stick with watches....... ::facepalm1::
    On the quote aspect, I wore in one of my Connie's one day and was happily told that Omega can do my service on it and she could give me a quote if I would let her. Ohhhhhh, this I have to have!!! She takes down my information and wants to have my watch. Nope. Ok, I can get you a quote without it. I gave her my watch info, you guys know what Im talking about. Off the top of the head like Rain Man.
    Get the call a few days later, Mr. Sucker I have your estimate for the service. If it is nothing but a simple service with blah,blah.. It wil be $900. And does that come with the Happy Ending??? I told her what my guy charges, oh well it is not an Omega Certified Service. Your very correct, it is BETTER! You no toucha maaa watchaaaa. HeeeeeYaaaaaa!

Wayne

14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 26, 2014

Wayne, no pictures?

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2014

Not much to see here but if you look you can see Wayne rolling with laughter on the floor of the Orlando Omega Boutique

Omega_Millenia_Mall_09.jpg

Waynepjr likes this.
  16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 26, 2014

I think your problem will all be solved if he/she was Spanish :D.
    Seriously Chinese now is the biggest buyer of expensive luxury item in the world. Watch stores in Lucern, LV flagship store in Paris all employs Chinese speaking sales person. It is smart move. In LV Paris people line up outside their boutique to get opportunity shopping inside. If language barrier solved and it reduce transaction time by half then it is a good business for them.

17. Waynepjr Sep 26, 2014

How quickly I have been spotted in my hometown Omega Boutique!! I must ask the NSA how my cover was blown so easy. Must have been the Chinese spy. Happen to 007 all the time. Damn, she got my watch too!
    As for the Chinese/Orlando connect I must laugh. You have not been to our little Mousedom before or lately. We don't get all that many Chinese the see Mickey here. We get Brazilians. Much better to look at but not the Chinese speaking cliente.

18. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 27, 2014

It's way back in 99 when I visited Miami, so I know nothing about tourist statistic there :) . But if I follow recent graduate student statistic, Chinese is the highest among international student all over US beating japan, india, korea and saudia.

19. Scotttocs Sep 28, 2014

Being as we have firmly established that the Omega Boutique is not the way to go... any recommendations of trustworthy shops in NYC?

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 28, 2014

I'm not surprised that Omega is hiring Chinese speaking personnel in all US Boutiques. China is considered the number one market for Omega. Many travel to the USA to purchase as the exchange rate is favorable. Just so long as they have the connections to get the watches into China when they return, they can save considerable money on the purchase here.

BTW, Miami is over 200 miles (300 km) from the Mickey Mouse/Orlando area. We have very little in common with Orlando other than the hot weather in the summer.
    gatorcpa