Forums Latest Members

Trying to "buy the seller" for 38mm vintage Omega - opinions

1. dave steele Oct 24, 2016

I'm new/noob to the horology thing and am worried that the engineer in me is causing me to oversweat my search for a 38mm vintage Omega to wear as a "daily driver" for work (typical attire in avatar). Everything I've read is that I need to "buy the seller", so I've found two watches I like and am trying to do my homework... I would love any opinions on the watches, or the sellers?

Omega_addict - my googling him finds many references to frankenwatch, which scares me. And this particular watchPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network looks so clean it makes me suspicious. I assume the case is polished and the posting mentions a new crystal and crown, but the copper parts of the 265 movement look "off" as well. He hasn't responded to me emailed questions to this point, so I'm not sure what to think.

Derek Dier "Watchestobuy.com" - he mentions sourcing watches for Mad Men, but I'm not sure if I think that's good or bad. I assume the TV show would want watches that LOOK brand new and wouldn't care whether the watch is genuine. This 38mm looks more it's age, but again... I'm looking for expert input.

My goal is something that looks good and isn't fake in case I want to resell it going forward.

Finally, 38mm seems few and far between - what is the going rate for the vintage "oversize" watches? I wish I could wear 36mm, but that size seems to look like a penny on my wrist.

Thanks,

dave

2. mac_omega Oct 25, 2016

Hi Dave,

wellcome to the forum.

The first watch is not bad - it is a pretty rare reference (model) and one of the largest among the hand wound WW with a movement out of the 30mm family.
    The dial seems untouched to me.

The only flaw I can observe at first sight is the winding crown which belonged to a Seamaster...

But this issue can be fixed easily

maybe you can get a little discount - it is a watch to consider

good luck

3. dave steele Oct 25, 2016

Hmmm... can't seem to find a way to edit my post, so adding a note on the Derek Dier watch -- the crown looks "off" to me, it looks almost like it's chrome and doesn't match the case. When I asked Derek about it (at least he promptly responds to emails), he said that everything was original and that all Omega crowns of that era are unsigned.

When I pressed him on it (and pointed out that the 56 Seamaster, 50 Seasmaster, 56 Constellation, & 59 Constellation for sale on his site all had signed crowns), he came back with "I'm sure this crown was replaced".

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2016

Keep in mind if daily driver means water resistant many of these are going to be lacking in that era.

5. dave steele Oct 25, 2016

water resistant as in even walking outside in the rain? didn't even think about that...

6. wsfarrell Oct 25, 2016

Omega_addict does top-notch work on movements, often replating the parts. Many of his dials are repaints, but he always points it out. If he says this one is original, it is. He polishes the cases on all of his watches. This one doesn't look as over-polished as some. I think frankenwatch fears are unfounded.

7. wsfarrell Oct 25, 2016

Walking in the rain is fine. Don't wear it in the shower though.

8. dave steele Oct 25, 2016

I replating the parts a good thing? I assumed that original would be better...

As for water... I have a cheap Seiko SKX as a beater watch, so all the vintage would have to do is be able to handle rain

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. dave steele Oct 25, 2016

question... is there a reference somewhere for cases/dials/movements (ie., what belongs in what?). I found the movement PDF file in a thread here, but can't seem to figure out where to find info on what belongs inside of what...

thanks,

dave

10. dave steele Oct 25, 2016

One last post and I'll stop my diarrhea of the keyboard... The Omega_addict condition that no other watchmaker can open the case or his warranty is void seems a little extreme to me. Upon receipt, I assume a reasonable purchaser would want to take the watch to get it confirmed. Not being able to crack the case to check out the movement seems like an attempt to hide something. But maybe I'm just paranoid after reading all the threads here about fake watches...::confused2::

11. ConElPueblo Oct 25, 2016

What is it you'd want to get confirmed by opening the watch that you couldn't confirm by the photos? Not saying that the terms are reasonable, which I don't.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2016

It depends on the watch, some of the snapback models and chronographs have literally no water resistance at all so you really won't want them to get wet even in the rain, generally speaking if it can't even pass a basic pressure test I don't get it wet at all. Even if it doesn't look flooded some moisture intrusion is all it takes to cause corrosion or dial degradation on these vintage pieces.

Archer likes this.
  13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 25, 2016

I'm pretty sure anyone giving a warranty -especially watchmakers - would say the same thing
    It does mean you can't check the watch though as you say

14. jurisevac@ Oct 25, 2016

New watch is option for you?

15. dave steele Oct 25, 2016

A new Omega? no, out of my current budget.

Less expensive new is an option , but I'm' looking for a light colored dial and haven't really found anything that I like. I've looked at the usual suspects... Hamilton, Tissot, etc.

Actually, at all the places I've been looking opinions on new, someone had suggested vintage Omega. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I get suggested new when I come here, lol

Edited Oct 25, 2016
  16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 25, 2016

You won't get that response from many on this particular section of the forum
    Although I suspect plenty have new watches too
    Strictly vintage all the way for me

UncleBuck and noelekal like this.
  17. bravojonybravo Speaks 2915,2120,89 & collects canned time watches Oct 25, 2016

Can't we see current watch you have.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 25, 2016

What's the upper end of your budget?

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 25, 2016

I'll say I'm not personally familiar with the quality of their service work, but plating those parts again costs money (disassembly of items you don't want plated, proper preparation, plating, then reassembly), so for me that's potentially money that's not spent in other more critical areas of the service.

It also presents an opportunity to conceal parts of different movements being placed in one watch, where colour differences may make that obvious with the original plating. Again not saying this is what they do, but the potential is there certainly.

Last concern would be the quality of the plating itself - I have seen plenty of Omegas (and other brands) where the plating is flaking off, and flaky plating can cause all kinds of problems in the watch. How well this new plating adheres would be a concern for me.

Cheers, Al

X350 XJR and TNTwatch like this.
  20. dx009 Oct 25, 2016

38mm vintage really makes it quite difficult to find but not impossible. You shouldn't rush it since what you're going to buy is going to cost quite a bit of money.

Are you dead set on the 50s ? If you want higher chances of finding larger watches and you want them to be a bit more "durable" in various conditions you could try looking for a 70s Omega dress watch. Much higher chances of getting a watch with a screw down case back. I still wouldn't go in the rain with a vintage Omega unless it had a screw down crown and case back.

Out of the 2 I'd get the 1st one although it's a bit bothersome that you have to get the correct crown for it. Also I think the crystal is not Omega as it doesn't state that it is...