Forums Latest Members
  1. JayVL11 Aug 29, 2016

I have only had one Seiko ever in my collection. I have started to read more into Seiko through this forum. Just wanted to hear thoughts about Seiko watches?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 29, 2016

Try a forum search ;)

They are well respected and many members here have SKX or 6309 turtles for beater watches. The Seiko 5 line has some great watches in it all the way down to $60. Grand Seiko are also well represented here as you can see by the wwruw thread. More then a few members collect vintage Seiko also.

Also look into Orient same value and quality.

JayVL11 likes this.
  3. JayVL11 Aug 29, 2016

Thanks for all the help! Been trying to learn more and more about watches. And I know everyone here thinks my questions I ask our dumb lol

4. micampe Aug 29, 2016

Mad Dog and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 29, 2016

Seiko watches ROCK...see pics below. :thumbsup:

NOTE: There is a cool site dedicated to Seiko watches named www.seikoholics.yuku.com. It's a forum (although not nearly as active as OF) as well as a huge database of Seiko information.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

dubois, Darlinboy, philh and 4 others like this.
  6. timjohn Aug 29, 2016

Seikos attract a band of fanatic supporters, but they are still one of the great sleeper brands. In terms of new watches, they provide better value for money across almost all price points than almost any other brand. From the super high-end Credor watches, through the Grand Seiko line, which are finished better than almost any watch at twice the price, down to the beaters of the SKX and Seiko 5. They've never been quite forgiven by the WIS community for being among the first and most successful manufacturers of quartz watches. There was a long discussion here about whether their headlining Spring Drive mechanism is still a quartz despite being driven by an automatic-like rotating weight.

Grand Seiko wristshot.jpg (My titanium SGBR059)

Seiko SKX011.JPG (An SKX011, a great beater, if not exactly discreet. If you want discreet, follow @Mad Dog and get a turtle -- he's a master of discretion )

Their vintage watches also provide serious bang for the buck. I began collecting their late 60s, early 70s 45xx movements after noticing that they had beaten all comers at the final Neufchatel Chronometer competition in 1967 -- there's an excellent account by SJX here -- and you can still get a world-beating movement in an extremely attractive case for less than $500. If you want to get a bit more creative and move upmarket, try the late 60s 6159-7000, a pioneering dive watch which was leagues ahead of Rolex in terms of sophistication and accuracy and is much rarer but can still be had for less than the cost of a 5513.
    King Seiko Hi-Beat Black.JPG
    (A 4502-7000 hi-beat King Seiko from 1969 on a horrible strap)

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 08.13.20.png
    (A 6215, 6159 and a modern SBDX003 -- photocredit to Timetapestry)

As you may have gathered, I'm a recent convert to that band of fanatic Seiko fans...

Edited Aug 29, 2016
    dubois, philh, red crowned and 5 others like this.
  7. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Aug 29, 2016

8. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 29, 2016

Negatory...they are file pics that were taken over the past several weeks...following the fairly recent purchase of my Seiko SRP777K1 on 23JUL16. :D

Jwit likes this.
  9. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2016

Dude. DUDE! A Dunkin Donuts hat and a Starbuck's coffee?!?!?!?

Double Agent! :eek:

rcs914, RegF, Mad Dog and 1 other person like this.
  10. ulackfocus Aug 29, 2016

Oh, and to answer the OP's question: I've never gone more than 5 or 6 months (I think) without owning a Seiko of some sort. 2 dive watches as beach / fishing beaters (Orange Monster and Pepsi) and one vintage Grand Seiko.

Mad Dog likes this.
  11. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 29, 2016

In times of weakness, I've been known to stray from Dunkinville and wander to the dark depths of Starbucks. Don't tell Dunkin'. :eek:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

dubois, AveConscientia, pascs and 5 others like this.
  12. sky21 Aug 29, 2016

MSP Starbucks? Just a guess, not too familiar with all the Delta cities. Where's the orange lanyard today, you guys still doing that?

13. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Aug 29, 2016

No, sir...PBI (Palm Beach International) Starbucks if I remember correctly. That's an older pic prior to the issuance of the orange lanyard...the orange lanyard is still in effect.

sky21 likes this.
  14. philh Aug 30, 2016

I fully agree with the other posters regarding the watches but the brand also has a fascinating history which makes collecting the watches all the more enjoyable
    There is masses of information available but the 60s/70s is an era which produced some classic watches for the brand and has great history such as the rivalry between the 2 subsidiary brands Daini and Suwa
    The King Seiko was produced by Daini and the Grand Seiko was produced by Suwa and both sought to be Seikos flagship brand .This intense internal rivalry drove innovation and produced some outstanding timepieces which can be collected today for a relatively modest outlay

rcs914, RegF and Mad Dog like this.
  15. RegF Aug 30, 2016

What everybody else has said ( except for the stuff about Starbucks :eek:) but its not just the 60's and 70's they have a long, long history of making timepieces that goes back to 1885.

They also now ( from 2001) own Orient, which has a shorter history, going back to 1950 and they do several cheap mall brands too.

Not only excellent value, they are usually rock-solid performers in their respective pricepoints.

Once you move past the fairly bland styles sold in mall-level retailers, there's some great designs right across the range.

Not to mention an intersting mix of technologies, from quartz and mechanicals, to solar and kinetic and their fascinating spring drive.

Currently three in the watch box plus an Orient.

Foo2rama, Mouse_at_Large and Mad Dog like this.
  16. timjohn Aug 30, 2016

The other thing to remember if you're going modern is that Seiko has a tendency to keep its best models for the Japanese domestic market (JDM in Seiko-speak), and they make a lot of lines like SKX in both Japan and other places (Malaysia/Korea). I'm unconvinced that there is a huge difference, but most collectors prefer the Japanese-built watches. But you should definitely extend your search into JDM models on the internet.

Mad Dog likes this.
  17. pascs Aug 31, 2016

It was Seikos that got me into my love of watches. Firstly just owning a few vintage Seiko divers, then modifying the poorest ones and then learning servicing. Now I own quite a few Seikos, as well as Omegas.

One of my favourite Seiko divers, 6159-7019

[​IMG]

dubois and Mad Dog like this.