Forums Latest Members

True Test of the Market - 60's Tri-Compax

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 30, 2015

We can watch the auction results all we want, but to me, this is a true indication of the market's appetite for specific references. This presents an example that is rough in a lot of ways (bezel is eaten up, case is scratched to hell, crystal needs to be replaced, lume is pretty dirty looking, and the movement shows visible rust in multiple spots). If this goes for $5K+, which is conceivable given that it has 9 days left and is already at $3.55K, I feel sorry for the winning bidder. This thing is going to need a lot of TLC to reclaim it's glory days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-G...Wrist-Watch-Rare-Dial-281-Wind-/252011810706?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

upload_2015-6-30_15-18-16.png

2. x3no Jun 30, 2015

Wow.. Is it just me or does anyone else see a late 60's tri-compax dial, thrown into a speedmaster case/bezel. Maybe from a "Speedmaster reduced 38mm" ? Dunno, maybe I'm just looking at too man speedies on here. :taunt:

3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 30, 2015

My goodness! On this watch, which end is up?

4. E-diddy Jun 30, 2015

How did they get the bezel rotated on that one? It doesn't rotate on mine.

I'll be watching this one, wonder what the final price will be.

5. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jun 30, 2015

No, the UG Compax/Tri-Compax cases from the sixties had the same bezels and similar curved lugs to the Speedy Pro's. This case and dial setup is legit...just in questionable condition (although the dial is almost completely obscured by all the scuffs).

It was probably knocked around at some point. These bezels, like Speedy bezels, pop on and off. Conceivable that it hit a ledge or something and was popped off and then sloppily snapped back on. Long story short, it's easy to re-align as long as it's not damaged.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 30, 2015

Is that a DON bezel? ::stirthepot::

7. ezlau Jul 2, 2015

Looks like this watch was just posted on Hodinkee ::popcorn::

nicolas07 likes this.
  8. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jul 2, 2015

Wow, quite the glowing endorsement from Ben. Not that I disagree that you could end up with a $10K watch eventually, but the rusted movement scares the crap out of me (given the scarcity of 281 parts) and it looks like there actually is some damage on the dial near the 6 o'clock sub-dial. Total dice roll though since you can't really see.

9. ezlau Jul 2, 2015

The article wasn't written by Ben, at least I don't think.

10. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jul 2, 2015

You're right, my bad. I was scrolling quickly on my phone and assumed it was Ben (like the past couple weeks). Either way, ::popcorn::, is right. Will be very interesting to see where it ends up going.

11. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jul 2, 2015

Havent been too impressed with their recommendations for a while now. This one is only for the truly desperate. There is potentially nothing salvageable in this watch - I spy a chewed up bezel, ill-maintained movement, and missing lume plots... It looks like it's never been polished though! :thumbsup: although that probably means it's also never been serviced :thumbsdown: I imagine it can be restored to about 80% of its former glory by throwing money at it, but the question is, is it worth it?

12. Dre Jul 3, 2015

We all want Eric Wind back!

13. ELV web Jul 3, 2015

He is a member here (did a big thread on Universal Sub 1st gen, very educational), @georgetownhoya , Mr. Wind, personally I think it is okay to still be writing watch recommendation articles (since you are so good at it) even when you are working for a prominent auction house!

georgetownhoya likes this.
  14. Dre Jul 3, 2015

I reckon it'd be a conflict, especially if one of the watch that he features in the article is getting auctioned in Christie's!

15. HeuerLoon Jul 3, 2015

Conflict of interest is the reason why he had to stop writing at Hoodinkee. It's a shame as his picks were interesting and his knowledge of the market excellent

16. Fer Seamaster Jul 3, 2015

It is clear that those days when getting a Tri in good condition under 5K was relatively easy have passed, specially for the pandas and reverse pandas.

Lucky to have bought mine a couple of years ago:

[​IMG]

Eric_navi and bazamu like this.
  17. x3no Jul 3, 2015

$4,950 with 6 days left... :eek:

18. HeuerLoon Jul 3, 2015

Damn that Hoodinkee bump. It's become a double edged sword for those hoping to bag a bargain

bazamu likes this.
  19. E-diddy Jul 4, 2015

Yeah, I have a love hate relationship with their bump. Very much appreciate the knowledge they share, but sometimes get frustrated because they feature watches I've discovered on my own.

nicolas07 and bazamu like this.
  20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 6, 2015