Forums Latest Members

Trouble in Paradise....Globemaster...am I over-reacting?

1. Superdoc Jul 31, 2015

OK .... a little known secret is that I have a deposit down for the Platinum Globemaster....

(Reserved number 007)...yes I am a geek...I accept that...

Just look at this masterpiece...

IMG_8247ff.jpg IMG_8249.jpg

Just perfect I love the date on the SS, but the clean dateless dial on platinum is a nice subtle nod to the exclusivity without screaming it..... However, I recently learned that the Powers that be, in their infinite wisdom, decided to add a DATE to this model...

I like to consider myself a very easy going fellow... I rarely lose my temper, and am generally very hard to phase...

But I am PISSED!!!

considering pulling the chute on the whole purchase...

Am I over-reacting? I haven't seen it yet.... I did see the catalogue Pic ( Of which I could not take a picture)..

A photoshop might look like this:
    IMG_8247ffg.jpg

Its such a small detail... will I love it as much.... Personally I prefer a Date function on most of my watches... I just liked the fact that this separated it from the SS offerings...

How many others would cancel the order because of this?

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 31, 2015

I don't know if I would because of this, but that's irrelevant. If I was in love with a watch of certain characteristics and ordered the watch i expect to get it to find out that it's a different watch, for whatever reason; date, bezel, dial... I would not get it. Life's to short and these little buggers too expensive to waste time and money on something that is not what you want. You've been around a long time....you know something else will sing to you.

That being said, since you're reserving a specific serial you might as well wait to see how you feel about it before cancelling altogether. God forbid you cancel only to find out you actually like it but cannot get the 007.

And yes...you're a gick

noelekal likes this.
  3. anselmw Jul 31, 2015

If it was a feature that would make it more exclusive and that was why I was purchasing it, I would not be happy. Best comparison would be how Rolex has the Arabic numerals only available on the gold daytonas. It makes them more excusive and desirable to the point where a lot of people swap the dial and hands into S/S models.

PS. when are you going to put that order in for a Patek Complication watch ;-)

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 31, 2015

Fwiw, I wouldn't be happy. I'd probably still take it, try it, knowing that I'd probably pass it along, but then, ya never know. There is something to be said for having a piece that's the same, but different (platinum).

Much like the white gold sparkle seamaster I will one day have.

5. andrewd Jul 31, 2015

not cool to change the watch released at Basel. I would cancel and go for the steel model.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2015

Stick to your guns and ask for a no date, they can do it for the money they are worth and will make it even more special.
    When I a was in the Dubai Omega Boutique the guy was saying that you could get anything as long as you pay a bit more and are prepared to wait. $4000 was the rough price quote for a guy that wanted a red PO dial or bezel that he was dealing with before we spoke

MMMD likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Jul 31, 2015

The dateless version was a little cleaner, but if they do put the window at 6 it's still a balanced presentation.

Point taken about it not being different from the plain old SS models though.

8. Superdoc Jul 31, 2015

This was the argument I made to the PTB... Although I used the analogy of the glacier blue dial Rolex reserves for platinum models...

I think I have them second guessing themselves... We'll see how influential I really am...;)

As for Patek.... Does nothing for me...

noelekal likes this.
  9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 31, 2015

Would be a deal-breaker for me as I don't care for a date feature on any watch. Don't want a watch to tell me the date and feel that a date feature is an ugly ulcer on an otherwise attractive dial. It may be such a small detail but it looms large in my mind.

"I think I have them second guessing themselves ..."

Keep up the good fight Doc and let us know how it turns out.

10. wsfarrell Aug 1, 2015

A bit off topic, but that's about the nicest second hand I've ever seen. It might hypnotize me into not noticing the date........

Paedipod likes this.
  11. Df13 Aug 1, 2015

The fact that they left off the date was what bothered me about the platinum model in the first place, so I'd personally be happy about it, if I were in the market for that watch. That being said, for that kind of coin, I'd have a hard time buying an Omega over a Patek, so I'd still go with the steel Globemaster, which is probably my favorite Omega to be released since the PO 2500.

12. base615 Aug 1, 2015

Get rid. Massively out of order to get people to reserve and then change the features IMO. I hope everyone cancels on them to show them it's not acceptable.

13. SeanO Aug 1, 2015

It's a lot of money for something you didn't want tho'. Still with the kooky number it won't be hard to move on.

14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 1, 2015

I'd try to reach an understanding with them whereby, when the watch arrives, you can walk away from the deal if you don't like it and they return your deposit.

15. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 1, 2015

+1. Your goal should now be to have the only no-date platinum Globemaster.

Geo!, George.A, JohnSteed and 4 others like this.
  16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 1, 2015

The difficulty is that it was the lack of date that appealed to you and it's a lot of money to spend on something that is almost, but not quite, what you want.

That usually ends up meaning that you won't wear it so much, or will eventually flip it at a huge loss, because the emotional attachment just isn't there for you enjoy your new purchase as much as if it was exactly what you thought you were buying.

If it was me, I'd either insist on getting exactly what I ordered or cancel. The exclusivity of the no date + platinum could be a strong factor in the purchasing decision. Once that is reduced, it loses its appeal somewhat. Maybe if I still really liked the overall watch, I might get the SS version instead & forget about the pleasure of having something limited or exclusive.

Hope that helps !

Geo!, George.A, Mothra and 4 others like this.
  17. maxtor71 Aug 1, 2015

@Superdoc That damn date window is about the only thing I didn't like on the stainless steel date Globemaster. I too thought it was a nice touch not having it on the platinum model but I'd never buy the platinum Globemaster , since it breaks my rule about the upper cash limit on an Omega. If they've now bought that damn window to the PT Globemaster, I'd say thanks but no thanks. The only way to properly voice displeasure is to vote with your feet.

If they can do a unique one for you, they should do it for free - you put your money down on a watch with no window, in good faith, assuming that's exactly what you would receive at a pre-agreed price.

Max

noelekal and Nobel Prize like this.
  18. Superdoc Aug 1, 2015

This is the struggle... I love the Globemaster... Like @maxtor71 said, I had also instituted a ceiling on any Omega...when I saw the SS Globemaster I loved it, and almost thought it was underpriced... When I saw the platinum it was one of those moments where price ceased to be a consideration...

The no date was a big part of the appeal...

This may be a sign that I should pass, but it is so disappointing because I loved so much about the idea of this one... The first Metas, the new model, the limited edition, the reserved number...

As a compromise, I suggested at least frame the date window with white gold...
    I hate the 'punch out' that they gave the master coaxial Aquaterra...

We'll have to see...

19. Superdoc Aug 1, 2015

The problem is that I know of only 2 others who have ordered to wear it ..
    (They're upset too)
    Most orders are from their wholesalers who purchase to have in the display, or sell to their own clients... The vast majority of the orders are from people who couldn't care less about date or not...

A focus group probably concluded that it should have a date... But it makes no sense to me to make this last minute audible, especially since the platinum has gotten a fair bit of exposure already.

20. Wetworks Aug 1, 2015

As much as I love the look of the platinum, there is no way I would've considered purchasing it without the date. I learned my lesson early on when I bought the Railmaster chrono; loved the look of the dial, the balance, the symmetry. Then the first time I reflexively looked at it to check the date I was like "WTF" and vowed then to never let my love of an aesthetic overshadow a function I like/rely upon. Sounds like you're in the same boat more or less, so I would say be happy about the serendipitous addition to a gorgeous watch.

jcmartinez98 likes this.