Forums Latest Members
  1. EdtheAussie Sep 23, 2018

Hi Guys,

I had someone contact me wanting to sell a 321 speedy, but I haven't had much experience with tropical dials. I have read through the Speedmaster101 article on chocolate dials, but was hoping for some advice here :) !

The watch seems to be a 145.012-67 due to the serial range. The case back is from a CB 105.012-66, however the mid case does not have the facet lines so leaning towards this was a changed part. Not sure if pushers are service, but the crown definitely is.

The DON is very worn, but is a DON nonetheless.

For pricing I would think to go from the 145.012 pricing, but not sure what value the dial adds. There is a small 'bump?' at the 1-2 o'clock marker and the lume is quite faded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!
    Ed

2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 23, 2018

Over and above the mismatched bits, what I find most odd is the discoloration of the word 'professional' on the dial...smells like bakery?

The remnants of the CB facets appear to be there (i.e. the angle of the reflection looks like a CB to me)
    [​IMG]

...they might be polished though (CB to the right above)

As always, I speak under correction :thumbsup:

Edit : as to the question of value...very very subjective, especially if one has concerns. If the dial really speaks to you and is super attractive, then perhaps its worth a premium to you. But if it is just ugly, well...

Edited Sep 23, 2018
  3. ICONO Sep 23, 2018

Definitely a waft of fresh bread…

What’s the provenance ?…Private individual or ‘dealer’ ?

eugeneandresson and EdtheAussie like this.
  4. sdre Sep 23, 2018

I won't say who, but i have this very same seller offer a very good friend of mine a watch that he was selling.

I told my friend to refuse the offer. The bezel looks too worn and its too much of a hassle.

Save your money for something better.

dubois and EdtheAussie like this.
  5. EdtheAussie Sep 23, 2018

The seller contacted me through a local classified website, but I had thought they were a private individual, until @sdre mentioned he knew who the seller might be.

I don't think Im too interested to be honest, the browned text looks a bit off putting and doesn't necessarily speak to me @eugeneandresson

Edited Sep 23, 2018
  6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 23, 2018

Not a particularly attractive example in many respects. I’d move on.

sdre and EdtheAussie like this.
  7. ICONO Sep 23, 2018

Seller probably has a couple of perfectly aged ‘Fat Font’ GMT’s as well…

Provenance is everything…so often ignored by those desperate to join the ‘Club’, before the doors close

8. Vintagewtchzilla Sep 23, 2018

the DON has sentimental value
    the dial is simply ugly as hell

so nono there are better ones there .... keep on hunting

sdre likes this.
  9. toddle321 Sep 23, 2018

Dial seems strange to me, it also has a re-attached dial foot between 1 and 2 that damaged the dial

Edited Sep 23, 2018
    sdre, joso and cristos71 like this.
  10. Davidt Sep 23, 2018

That's not a polished CB mid case either - it's a HF.

Dan S and Vintagewtchzilla like this.
  11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 23, 2018

I'm always amazed when this sentence is used: The DON is very worn, but is a DON nonetheless.

Gefa, Axel and Vintagewtchzilla like this.
  12. Vintagewtchzilla Sep 23, 2018

....means it's a don and it has a lot of value event it looks like it was overrun by a train

13. boogedyboo Sep 23, 2018

When people use words like "bakery" and "fresh bread", are you implying that it is possible to fake a tropical dial by literally baking the dial in say, an oven?

Serious question.

14. Dan S Sep 23, 2018

Yes, that's what people are implying.

boogedyboo likes this.
  15. Sharp Sep 24, 2018

Hi Eugene,

These dials have come up before and are an accepted variant from what I know, I would not associate it with baking, never had any interest in looking into it deeply as I have not handled one but here is a thread with a couple:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/yellow-professional-text-on-66-speedy-dial.59958/

OP watch is in horrible condition either way IMO (you know how I fussy I am :D)

Best Wishes,

-T

EdtheAussie and eugeneandresson like this.
  16. Seaborg Sep 24, 2018

Looks like a cooked dial...

dubois and Vintagewtchzilla like this.
  17. Vintagewtchzilla Sep 24, 2018

the term baking was not related to the disoloration of the speedy writing ....

no matter what the dial is it is simply destroyed and leads to the degradation of the value for one in good condition

Edited Sep 24, 2018
  18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Sep 24, 2018

Hi Tom

Many thanks for the pointer, and lending your good eye!

Now that you point out that thread, I remember seeing it, and thinking 'how odd'. And agreed, if it was cooked, I guess more white markers may be off-colour ... although, perhaps the cook was 'good' and aligned it perfectly with the oven grid :rolleyes:

I agree with your assessment ... not a great example at all ... and yes, its clear how fussy you are! Rightly so...condition is king.

Kind regards,
    Eugene

Edited Sep 24, 2018
    EdtheAussie likes this.
  19. sdre Sep 24, 2018

Overall, great to have the experts chime in :) good to glean on.

20. Axel Sep 24, 2018

Is it even a DON? The dot is barely recognisable.

If you were going to fake a DON perhaps this is the way you would do it? Beaten to hell and barely recognisable.