Forums Latest Members
  1. Lxsman1 Nov 27, 2016

I'm new to the watch collecting and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I know that Rolex have some dials that will age and become"tropical". Do Omega do this also. There is one listed on eBay that is stated it has a tropical dial and it does look like other tropical dials I have seen. Any info would be appreciated. I just don't want to get burned on my first Omega purchase.

2. Davidt Nov 27, 2016

Yes tropical dials are found on Omegas. There are countless threads on the subject. Some are stunning. Others are just worn out dials that dishonest sellers try to sell as tropical to increase value.

Use the search function in the forum to find threads on the subject.

MPWATCH likes this.
  3. Lxsman1 Nov 27, 2016

Here is a pic of the dial if that will help. I'm considering on making an offer on it I just don't want to get burned. They're asking $550 or best offer. $_3.JPG

4. cristos71 Nov 27, 2016

Save your money, I don´t think the dial or the watch in general are either particularly attractive or offering good value for money.

I don´t know what it is but I do know that it certainly isn´t what most here would describe as a tropical dial. Perhaps nicotine and it also looks to have been re-lumed. The case has been severely overpolished. The seconds hand doesn´t look right as it has a very blunt tip. the dial says Seamaster but is that a Seamaster case? We would need a reference number from the inside of the case back to know more. To me it also has more the look of a 50´s hand wind or automatic with the curve of those lugs.

5. Lxsman1 Nov 27, 2016

Here is the case back. $_3 (1).JPG

6. Davidt Nov 27, 2016

So when you google that reference number, does this dial configuration come up on original watches?

Tropical should look attractive and increase the desireability and value. Generally faded from black. That just looks like muck to me and certainly would not increase the value over a standard version.

7. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 27, 2016

To add to this,

Here are a few links that will help you a long!

https://omegaforums.net/threads/tropical-dial.49093/

Example of a commonly accepted tropical example
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/tropical-2998-2-at-matthew-bain.49121/

I'd also just run a search through the forum for additional resources. Also research prices realized to see what tropical dials are achieving high prices and which are falling through.

Best,

Thomas

8. Swissgmt1675 Dec 4, 2016

Tropical and shitage...Long story...:D