Forums Latest Members

Trolling through ebay, wondering if this is worth a purchase

1. Rallis Oct 9, 2014

Hey guys,
    So I was spending my Thursday evening downtime before a Friday 8am accounting exam scrolling through ebay, productively looking at vintage watches. This thing popped out at me: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361072746029?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

My knowledge on vintage Omegas is pretty pedestrian, but the piece is located close to my geographic, and it got me rationalising a bid. Although it's obviously not a military issued Omega, it looks well enough the part with the arabic numerals and the patina to match a good 50 or so years in the trench. I did a quick search of the Omega archives and it states it's from around the 40's, so I was planning to strap it with a green nato and take it on vacation to a no longer Nazi controlled Germany, (I'm joking).

But basically, I just wanted some input on the piece, what it's worth bidding to, does it look somewhat authentic, or is it just a re-dialed, frankenstein-ed mess of WWII proportions? The lume on the hands looks a little suspect, but who knows, (I don't, that's for sure).

So yeah, any input would be appreciated, I'd rather read watch related opinions over "The fundamentals of Audit control".

Thanks Gents.

2. yande Oct 9, 2014

So yeah, any input would be appreciated, I'd rather read watch related opinions over "The fundamentals of Audit control".

I like that.

So no ones had a go at this, and I am the least qualified but, here goes...

I'm no font of knowledge regarding vintage, but I always wonder how these threads go? If it is worthwhile, you have just about handed any member interested the red carpet to it.. and increased your competition.
    If no one bids on it, you know it is not worthwhile, otherwise, if there is a mad rush in the last minute, you will now know it was worthwhile. :eek:

Seriously, I regret not being able to help you more...

Having said that, I just spent the last 40 minutes or so trawling thru Omega, A Journey Through Time, (for you, I am not interested in vintage vintage) and although I did not find the reference 2394, I got pretty close. Mid 40's is my guess, but as to authenticity, I have no idea. That inward facing 3 and 9., that's pretty classy. Seems to be close to the 30mm models. What are the Teddingtons?
    Movement I would guess is a 26.5 T2 (T3?) 15P. What ever that means. I just looked at a lot and spotted the ones that looked like that photographed.??

I really hope someone can share their time and knowledge on this. Personally, the more I looked at this watch, the more I loved it, but I have no idea.. :)

Best of luck Rallis

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 9, 2014

How big is your wrist? This watch is quite small (30mm) and the case back was damaged with a wrong crown

I would not buy it

Northernman likes this.
  4. Rallis Oct 9, 2014

About 6 1/2 inches around, so I'm on the "Possibly pulling off a 30mm watch" end of the spectrum. I noticed the case back, but was not sure if it posed any great threat, aside from a potentially damming particle of dust breaching, and ruining an apparently "serviced" movement. Thanks for the reply HoiPolloi!

5. Rallis Oct 9, 2014

Thanks for your time Yande! Yeah I also speculated on the potential premium people put on the watches their stalking on ebay by result of posting on this forum, and potentially drumming up some competition. But I figured majority of those enthusiasts in the market for vintage pieces probably check ebay 5-10 x more frequently than I, so chances are, they had already seen it. I probably should of specified, I'm new to vintage watches, and am not at this stage, really trying to amass a collection with the intention of capital appreciation. I'm kind of more in the "Oh that looks cool, I'll buy it for a strap on if it doesn't exceed $500 stage". However, by the same token, I don't wish to overpay for junk!

Also excuse my laymen's knowledge, but what do you mean when you say, "
    What are the Teddingtons?"

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 9, 2014

Wise counsel

7. Rallis Oct 9, 2014

A strong consensus is building, that I like.
    Thanks guys!

8. yande Oct 9, 2014

Yep, that's what I mean by I don't buy vintage vintage..

As far as Teddington Rallis. The best way to explain that is to Google "Omega Teddington" Interesting, as this whole exercise in history is...

Rallis likes this.
  9. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 9, 2014

I like the dial patina but the hands appears to have been relumed and the caseback is a disaster. Not being properly sealed will cause all sorts of issues with dirt and condensation.
    I would not buy it.

Rallis likes this.
  10. Rallis Oct 9, 2014

This is great! If only I had you guys to talk me out of my last girlfriend, the world would be a better place!

11. Georgieboy58 Oct 9, 2014

You should request our opinion on the current one or future prospects, but remember we need detailed photos (including the case back):whistling:

Dch48, Rallis and Darlinboy like this.
  12. ConElPueblo Oct 9, 2014