Forums Latest Members

WITHDRAWN Triton Spirotechnique

1. danomar Dec 6, 2016

Someone might want a special something for the holidays, so I offer my Triton Spirotechnique for sale.

Triton Spirotechnique. If you do not know about it, feel free to fall down the rabbit hole conducting research. It helps to understand French.

The photos below will explain most of what you need to know. The crown is, as far as I can discern, original. Dodane stopped using the cap-over-crown arrangement early (after a year or two) in production of the Spirotechnique. Most come with the single crown. The remnants of the original flat gasket are still visible on this example.

I do not know its service history, but the ETA 2452 movement is accurate and starts with a slight shake. Power reserve is very good, approximately two days. This is not a quickset movement.

The date wheel is not perfectly aligned with the date window. I was going to get it fixed, but it does not bother me and there are no obvious issues with the movement. I planned to leave it be until the movement needed a service. Some Spirotechniques have red date wheel colors, others black. The movement is accurate to the vintage and there is no reason to believe the black date color is incorrect.

The bezel is on nicely tight and clicks precisely. The bezel is as good as they come. The lume on the dial and hands will glow briefly. There is minor blistering of the black dial paint which is typical of nearly all authentic Spirotechniques.

The case measures 37mm across (the bezel measures 38mm), lug-to-lug the distance is approximately 50mm with the top hinged part flat, and it measures 14mm thick.

WITHDRAWN

Sale only. No trades, sorry.

Edited Oct 18, 2017
    donkii, Giff2577, lwong and 5 others like this.
  2. danomar Dec 11, 2016

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
    Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;
    Little we see in Nature that is ours;
    We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
    This sea that bares her bosom to the moon,
    The winds that will be howling at all hours,
    And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers,
    For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
    It moves us not. —Great God! I'd rather be
    A pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
    So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
    Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
    Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
    Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

Larry S likes this.
  3. wsfarrell Dec 11, 2016

One learns something every day. I thought "spirotechnique" was a sub-brand of the vintage U.S. Diver's Mistral double-hose SCUBA regulator. Maybe it's a more generic term, like "breathing method"?

spiro.jpg

4. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Dec 12, 2016

La Spiro is a legendary French brand of premium diving equipment, some of its products historically used by militaries, and smartly co-marketed by marketing (and to some extent, diving... :D) legend JJ Cousteau. Still exists today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_Lung/La_Spirotechnique

free bump for a fantastic watch!

5. omegastar Dec 12, 2016

Actually, the date should alternate red and black. The fact that the date does not align in the window is because it is not the right date disc. As the crown is positioned at 12 and the date at 3, it is the same as having a date at 6. In that case the teeth of the date disc are not in the same position or the printing is not the same, depends how you look at it. It is a common problem with this watch for the original date disc is very hard to find.

opahman, Tubber and Lonestar like this.
  6. bill5959 Dec 14, 2016

Interesting observation on date wheel. Do these screw down CCW like the ZRC?