Forums Latest Members
  1. tcsasser Dec 1, 2015

Hello and thanks for taking a look.

Continuing my education on vintage pieces and wanted to get opinions on whether the luminous material found on this watch (dial + hands) was luminova or tritium. Based on my review of big blues on this forum and others, it seems that this specimen lacks the patina and texture that tritium on most watches of this age display. And based on the wear found on the bezel and case it doesn't appear that this watch was kept in a safe (at least not for a portion of its life). Having seen examples with obvious replacement dials and handsets this doesn't quite have that look to me either.

It may be the lighting or my subconscious desire to own this hunk of steel, but I still can't stop thinking (hoping) that this specimen might have the original dial and handset. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time and help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Concorde Dec 2, 2015

This has luminova all around, except bezel.

3. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 2, 2015

+1. I would exect the dial to be marked "T - Swiss made - T" or similar if it was a Tritium dial.

4. Concorde Dec 2, 2015

Even tritium dials for big blue are not market T swiss made T, but are different in other aspects of luminova. Tritium dials has a diffent tone of blue, the compound is applied more flatter, and has a different texture, this is more bulky and glossy.

5. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 2, 2015

I accept that I am no expert on these. I like them, but never chased one.
    Any idea as to why the normally meticulous Swiss should discard their long established principles for marking of dials containing Tritium?

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 2, 2015

It wouldn't be the first time. For example, the Holy Grail from 1987 doesn't have the T marks either, just Swiss Made.

Northernman likes this.
  7. tcsasser Dec 2, 2015

Thanks for your replies and the education! Sadly, my heart is set on an original example and will have to wait till another shows itself.

Northernman likes this.