Forums Latest Members
  1. Lars33 Jun 10, 2015

Bought a pre owned speedie with tritium for an ok price I thought ... Markers are evenly coloured ... Hands are somehow darker and brighter spotted .... Is this normal ... I checked online and most speediest of that vintage have also evenly coloured hands .... Is this just individual patina .... What is more sought by collectors buyers ? Thanks for anyone's reply I'm am really new to vintage omega .....

image.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2015

Looks fine to me, congrats on your new Speedmaster!

3. SeanO Jun 10, 2015

Tritium often doesn't age "evenly". You will also need to monitor the quality of the lume on the hands for signs that it is about to fall off. If it starts to look dodgy get your local watch guy to stabilise the lume plots.

NFW by the way :thumbsup:

4. Fer Seamaster Jun 10, 2015

From my point of view, tritium with an even colouration is more desiderable than those showing spots or cracks.

It is important to stabilise the tritium when aging (I do not know how to do). If tritium is old and degradated, may leave the indexes or the hands, become a "dust" with many particles going around your dial and even coming into the movement, entering in the gears and making some disorder or damage. This should not happen to your watch, but it us not rare in premoons and other old watches.Take care of that.

5. Lars33 Jun 10, 2015

thanks ! so a serious collector would likely buy watches with even colored tritium since it shows less degradation and some might find it optically more attractive ... si such watches might be more sought after and have a higher re sell value ?

6. SeanO Jun 11, 2015

everybody has a "sweet spot".

7. Lars33 Jun 11, 2015

?

8. Lars33 Jun 12, 2015

you mean everryone has his taste ?

9. emilio Jun 12, 2015

Yes!

I even know people who like watches to look as if they have been on the bottom of the ocean for 10 years..

Spacefruit, Bienne2998 and Lars33 like this.
  10. Eric_navi Jun 12, 2015

Its really a minor detail. More important is how the whole ensemble goes together, the originality, and the overall "feel" of the watch.
    You have a very nice piece, the hands belong with that dial, and I would 100% buy it instead of the same watch with replaced but "perfect" hands.

11. Lars33 Jun 19, 2015

thx everyone this is another picture changed strap .... what do u think ?

image.jpg
    SeanO likes this.