Forums Latest Members

TripAdvisor for watches - interesting idea?

1. TDotWIS Jul 7, 2015

Hi Everyone,

A little while back while researching vacations with the wife on TripAdvisor, it occurred to me that something similar for watches could be really useful. Specifically, a place where it would be easy to find multiple watch specific reviews left by people who have tested/owned the watch. Unfortunately, many great reviews on forums and blogs get pushed to the later pages of Google search results, and are effectively lost. Personally, reading reviews plays an important role in the 'watch research' phase before I acquire a new piece.

Thought I'd post a thread here to see if others find authentic owner reviews important, or if its just me.

For fun, I built a site that gives an idea of of what a TripAdvisor for watches could look like (www dot WISReview dot com).

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,
    TDotWIS

budgie likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 7, 2015

I took a very quick look at your site, and it seems that you've followed the TripAdvisor formula down to a 'T", even posting other sites review with links.

Here's my issues with the concept.

1. Watches have a specific function, to tell time. Most new watches from the major brands do this very well out of the box. I wouldn't expect this to be a good criterion for review.

2. The look, size, etc. of a watch are by their nature, subjective. What I like, you may not. Watches are for the most part jewelry items for most people, even some WIS's. People spend a lot of money for this and sometimes feel the need to justify their purchase. So again, not a good criterion IMO.

3. After-care. What happens on the off chance something goes wrong? Now that is an excellent criterion for review. It's objective, and something everyone would want to know before shelling out big bucks for a new watch.

4. The Swiss are probably the second-most litigious people on earth, after the USA. If you used a brand name in the wrong context, published a review that the "powers that be" didn't like, etc., you might be looking at a strongly worded letter from an attorney or even a lawsuit. These folks play rough. Ask the independent watchmakers of the world, if you have any doubts. You need some big backers to avoid this, or stay very small and informal, like you are now.

5. Last is advertising. Are you planning to accept any? Omega Forums is a second job to the people that run the site. To date, there is no advertising (other than for watch sales) allowed here. If you are planning to accept any from a watch company, then all the credibility goes out the window and you will be expected to do as they say. Go look at any of the watch magazines. They all are nothing but PR for their advertisers. But that's who keeps the lights on at the publishers.

I wish you luck in your new venture!
    gatorcpa

STANDY and lenny like this.
  3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 7, 2015

It is an interesting concept, but I wonder how useful it would truly be. I do read forum reviews by owners and I appreciate the details and the real life photos, but the problem is almost every single review is over the top positive. There are several reasons:

1. These reviewers are using their own $$ to buy the watch, so they inherently are reviewing a watch that they already like enough to buy
    2. Because watches are expensive, they rarely buy on a total whim so the watches are unlikely to surprise them in any negative way (meaning, they've researched prior to buying)
    3. We all like to think of ourselves as savvy shoppers with impeccable taste and will go to great lengths to justify all of our purchases as the best thing ever.

These factors tend to give forum watch reviews a certain "sameness". Nearly every review points out that watch X looks better IRL than pictures can do justice, keep quartz-like accuracy, look great with jeans or a suit, the winding is buttery-smooth, wears bigger/smaller than the specs indicate, etc. Whatever thing the owner was slightly hesitant about (polished links, ceramic bezel, color of date wheel, etc.) surprisingly doesn't even bother them!

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 7, 2015

i get more out of bad reviews as it gives you points to look at as a second glance that others have picked up. Then you work out if you can live with said issue or if it is really a issue.
    Amazon reviews I always go the one star first and read up.

lando likes this.
  5. TDotWIS Jul 7, 2015

Great feedback Gator!

The site is purely a hobby at the moment - one of the main reasons I started it was that I noticed many of the sites I read have started accepting money to write reviews. As a result, impartiality has gone out the window.

Great idea re: 'after care'. Definitely something I'll consider adding on to the site!

You're 100% correct that watches are subjective. What I hope to one day see when large numbers of people start leaving reviews on the site are the reviews by long time owners who have lived with the watches for years (rather than put them on the wrist for a few minutes to write a review). I believe that you can't really know a watch until you've lived with it (i.e. I've had watches I loved at first but fell out of love with after a few months/years because of small details I didn't notice at first).

6. TDotWIS Jul 7, 2015

Thanks Andy. I think that youre correct about the 'sameness' of reviews - especially when it comes to the big sites or forum 'incoming' posts. Unfortunately, not many people write a review after years of owning a watch. Hopefully WISReview changes that!

7. blubarb Jul 9, 2015

Yes, I like the idea, but can't add much more than has already been said by Andy K. I suspect that you will get a 'sameness' in reviews as there are limited variables to compare and points of comparison beyond a few technical and design issues. That's why I like vintage pieces as I can explore the depth of the historical context that the watch was functioned for.

8. TDotWIS Jul 13, 2015

Good points blubarb. Thanks!