Forums Latest Members
  1. neilmd Nov 30, 2017

Is this dial good or what is wrong with it? It looks similar to the dial on the watch my wife got me.

Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 30, 2017

What do you think?

3. Lucas Nov 30, 2017

Definitely a not so seen version with baton indices.. condition speaks for itself but I believe it to be original.!

4. neilmd Nov 30, 2017

So here is mine, the difference I noticed is the lower sub dial on mine the numbers touch the lines where the one I posted do not. The day dial is centered better and all the numbers look more crisp.

20171127_111355.jpg
  5. Mlafra Nov 30, 2017

Dial is original but clearly in pretty bad shape. Moon-disk red hand too short, hence probably a replacement or broken/shortened.
    All other hands look fine and original to the watch.

viwa64 likes this.
  6. Mlafra Nov 30, 2017

I clearly referred to the OP dial, the one lastly posted by neilmd is reprinted without the shadow of a doubt.

viwa64 and BenBagbag like this.
  7. neilmd Nov 30, 2017

Now with the original dial posted, if you had that can it be cleaned? Or once a dial gets like that it is trashed?

8. bgrisso Nov 30, 2017

I think the basic rule of thumb is that no good will come of messing with a dial. There are exceptions obviously, and reluming can be done sometimes, but I think there is nothing that can be done for the first dial posted at top.
    Also, if you are looking for a replacement, because there is no absolute dial/case association with UG, you are not restricted to the same type of dial, unless you want to. Obviously it needs to fit the case and movement, but the style is up for grabs to some degree. There are more associations between the hands and dial than case and dial, so if you keep those hands you would want a dial with no lume. And gold numbers, applied or otherwise, probably make sense. Anyhow, point being it doesn't have to be that exact type of dial. But the chances of finding a good dial, on it's own, for a decent price, that could be tough.

Larry S likes this.
  9. Mlafra Nov 30, 2017

I quote everything. Completely agree.

10. rolokr Nov 30, 2017

Nice original dial, a bit strong on the patina, but nice !