Forums Latest Members
  1. Phranz Aug 4, 2016

Dear Sirs!
    Here some seller pics of a rather beaten up Tri Compax, that I found today. I will have a look at this very patinated one in flesh the day after tomorrow.
    But till then I would kindly ask you scientific researchers and horological detectives, what you think about it?
    I „think“, it is within the range of being correct, in spite of some extravagancies?

I have studied in Sala about it, but these variations and details in configuration are tricky, as I have learned again and again here.

It is a S/GP ref 42406
    ser.nr. 1.131xxx

cal 287 / mvm nr. 246201
    seller says with crown 39mm

Sala has the same ref on p.362, but looking pretty much different. Some other configrations look almost completely alike, but have different case materials, different range of ser. numbers, different tachy scales, and so on and on…..)

The best match is on p.348, almost identical, very close ser.nr., same ref, same s/gp case, same cal 287,
    ……but is black, and has e.g. at the 30min register 10-20-30, whereas the object of my longing has a segmentation of 3-6-9-12-15-18-21-24-27-30. I really love that sequence and find it incredible amazing. Now this 3min intervals are to be found on others, but then other details do not match completely…

Yes, UG was in creativity and aesthetics always top!
    Now please, dear Sirs, do not disapoint me with this one :)

I am hoping and fearing at the same time, cause I like the patina, do basically not like goldplated, but this one I could afford for probably about 2k EUR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Uni Compax should not stay alone any longer?
    [​IMG]

thx for your attention!
    _phranz

Edited Aug 5, 2016
    Diabolik and ELV web like this.
  2. ulackfocus Aug 4, 2016

My sister-in-law is named Tina. She's getting older (late 40's) and a few wrinkles are starting to show...... most likely from all those years of putting up with my brother. Anyway, would it be okay to call her PaTina? Or should I wait for age spots to show on her face?

Edantony, Deafboy, Phranz and 3 others like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 4, 2016

Looks like it might be right. I will defer however to the experts.

4. timjohn Aug 5, 2016

The numbers tell of a gold-plated, large-size Tri-Compax from the 40s, which would fit with the dial and the faded smiley moon phase. Someone has mauled the case trying to open the back and get the bezel off, but that's reflected in the price. A better picture of the dial, particularly the minute recorder, would help but going on what you've got, it looks good.

5. gop76 Aug 5, 2016

Looks good to me. For 2k i would go for it, you don't find many originals with that price

6. Phranz Aug 5, 2016

Well, to my experience with my own wife probably better do not call her like this. And hope, your brother is not talking her into a complete refurbishment, as nowadays is common all over the place........specially with such wrinkled, beaten wretches like the Tri Compax discussed here.

7. Phranz Aug 5, 2016

Thx,gop,that is what I am thinking about. There must, even for such one with a damaged case, a green line, where no one could withstand (I mean should one let it go to the garbage? Its the fine line of a "fair" price, considering all these complex aspects. General market prices, condition, availibility near by, the urge or patience you have, the budget, the other watches in line...etc

8. Phranz Aug 5, 2016

Thx for answering, tomorrow I will try to make a pic of the minute recorder, and BTW, what are the things I should pay attention to, when checking it. I have a little experience with my 7 chronos of different brands, but e.g. I do not know how to check the side pushers setting function for the moon, day of the month and month of the year.
    How to do it? With a toothpick?

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 5, 2016

Problem is this watch is a Tri Compax, ticks all the Sala boxes. It's condition is presentable and UG is red hot right now. 2k is not unreasonable.

10. Phranz Aug 5, 2016

thx for your input!

11. Phranz Aug 6, 2016

Finally had it on my wrist today and took some quick mobile pics. Dial looks beautiful to my naked eye, but the case (36,5mm without crown) feels smaller on the wrist than I had expected. I have read everywhere, it should have 37mm. But 36,5 was probably within UG tolerance threshold to house a cal 287 with 15 Lignes?

There are some technical issues:

* With fully wound watch the small seconds at 9h and the central chrono hand are running, but stopping after 2-3 minutes.
    * Reset of central hand not to 12h, but sometimes 2 sec left, sometimes 1 sec to the right side, sometimes exactly at 12h.
    * Minute recorder resets, but sometimes you have to push twice.
    * Time setting almost with no resistance, crown turns to easily.
    * All 3 quickset pushers for moon/day/month are working correctly.
    * Weekday switches correctly, when turning over 24h.
    * All functions needing more than some minutes running to manifest itself could not be tested.

I have experience with service costs for chronos with less complications, but no idea how to calculate this one. Only the warnings, that it could become expensive and even risky, if parts should be needed.

Could get it for 2K EUR straight or a little less….. .
    Some of you kindly wrote, that its worth to go for it…..still valid regarding the technical issues given above?

Here my wrinkled wrist shots & additional seller pics of the movement

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

milwatch126 likes this.
  12. milwatch126 Aug 6, 2016

I likeS very much Pa Tina :)

M

13. bgrisso Aug 7, 2016

I don't know at lot about the tri compax yet but to my eye and for that price sounds good. If you needs movement parts tho, just don't know how hard or expensive that could be.
    If it were SS instead of gold and the larger size, pretty much exactly what I am looking for.

14. a7tl46 Aug 7, 2016

New to UG, but some of the functions work the same as other brands. You have a bent minute registry pawl that could be effecting the minute reset. Also may effect the sweep second reset. I would say that could also be a loose post but ordinarily the reset will vary wildly. If the movement continues to run after the seconds counter stops I would suspect a loose 4th over wheel, or all of what I mentioned could simply be a minor eccentric adjustments Also I have a similar piece with the same S/PG number.(please tell what that references)
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

Phranz likes this.
  15. Phranz Aug 7, 2016

Thx, a7tl46, for trying from far distance to do a diagnosis!
    I could not always observe the exact same behaviour. When I remember right, the watch first kept running after the sweep second had stopped. Then the running seconds stopped also together with the chrono second. After the reset the same thing started always again, only to stop again about 1-3 minutes later. (well this was by no means a scientific research I undertook ;-)

Yours has the same reference and close serial nr. than the one discussed in the thread. Would be nice to see also the front ;-)
    Here the UG reference system according to Sala:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Phranz Aug 7, 2016

Well I think you are not the only one with these criteria *grin*

17. a7tl46 Aug 7, 2016

The case appears to be correct, as do the mechanicals. I've been told its a redial. Dont know if it can still be correct
    287 dial.jpg

18. timjohn Aug 7, 2016

That running seconds subdial looks a bit too far over to the south-east to be original...

19. a7tl46 Aug 7, 2016

Do you mean the printing in the recess? Are these redials screen printed?

20. timjohn Aug 7, 2016

The printing in the recessed subdial at 9 isn't centred, you've also got a bit of uneven inking on the minute recorder at 3 (and a round-topped 3), and the '31' on the date dial would normally be in red. Not sure how redialers go about their business. I've seen a lot worse than this.