Forums Latest Members
  1. Wilddyan May 4, 2014

Hi guys

Thinking of getting a Tri Compax, love the watch and have found these opitons. I like the vintage look of both however I cannot find this 1st numberless (although slightly showing in parts) dial anywhere else online and was looking for a second opinion if is gen.

Any help would be appreciated- also what price should I be looking as considering everything is working fine.

I am also looking at a more faded model and would love an opinion on this one also- again a price would be great with everything working fine.

Thanks 3.jpg tri.JPG

2. woodwkr2 May 4, 2014

From the two pictures that you've given us, both watches appear original (would want to see casebacks, reference numbers, and crowns to say for sure).

Both dials appear original as well.

Servicing costs on these complicated pieces can be hefty, so factor that in to your price comparisons. From a dealer (ie de-risked and serviced) I'd say that you're probably looking at $4000-5500 depending on the condition of the piece. The biggest drivers being the dial, sharpness of the case, and originality. You can find less expensive examples on eBay from time to time, though you're taking a gamble depending on the value of the repairs that are needed and in finding the correct replacement parts.

If you buy anything from Italy (your first picture is watermarked Caso), be sure to pay up for courier shipping with full insurance from FedEx, DHL and the like. The Italian postal/transit service is notorious for pilfered packages. If you're importing to the USA, these shipping methods are also the most likely to be charged import fees (from FedEx and duties). There are other threads on this topic, but just fyi.

3. Wilddyan May 4, 2014

Thanks for your response- yes both are in Italy- will make sure I get insured package.

I have a pic of the back of the 1st watch- I have asked for life images of the second. Have you seen that 1st dial before? I cannot find it anywhere...

Removing aesthetic preference (I seem to like each equally) which do you think is the better watch (I know is hard to say without more info)...?

5.jpg

4. woodwkr2 May 4, 2014

Yes, I have seen examples of both dials before. There is a good reference book by Pietro Sala on the complicated Universals that you may be interested in if you decide you're serious about collecting UG. I'd also advise you to spend some time reading through the older posts in the UG section of the forum. You'll likely absorb quite a lot.

The top watch appears to be correct for ref. 22258. Though the turned central portion of the caseback may not be factory original (these are usually seen smooth/shiny). Note how the graver appears to have gotten caught in the "4" and smeared it. Likely there was a caseback inscription or engraving that someone wanted removed.

Pick the one that fits your budget and makes your heart beat a little faster. Realize too that with vintage watches, part of the fun is in the hunt. If you're not enamored with either of these, there're always other tri-compax examples that will come along.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 4, 2014

Don't worry about not being able to find the exact dial. UG used hundreds of different dial designs, and not all are documented. The aspect that draws my attention ore is that the markings on the running seconds and minutes subdials are too small for the subdial - compare with the ones on the faded example. Even so, I'm sure this is an original dial.

I will point out that the 22258 case is an imposing one, and while not of the rarest, is certainly not common.

Regarding relative values of the two examples you present, the faded one is a sub-$3000 watch. Think very carefully before you spend a dollar on it - the dial condition is such that I would not consider it at all, and I am not even the most exigent collector when it comes to quality. You would have a great deal of trouble reselling it. As for the other, woodwkr's got it about ight for dealer pricing.

6. Wilddyan May 4, 2014

Thank you LouS, are you saying therefore that the hands may be wrong on the 1st?

Also I agree about the dial on the 2nd watch which is why have asked for normal images- am hoping their lighting was very poor

Thanks

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 4, 2014

No, not at all. Just a vagary of Universal's mix and match parts bin.

8. Wilddyan May 4, 2014

Ok so you think they are original correct? Sorry to be a pain, have been collecting watches for a while and have never come across a model that has so many different variations...

Thanks

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 4, 2014

Yes, correct. Welcome to the world of UG. Think of UG watches like an horological Mr. Potatohead. Begin with a movement, slap on a dial from grab-bag A, add hands from grab-bag B, and then put them all in a case from grab-bag C. I exaggerate of course, but it is not an accident that their reference numbers (which refer just to the case, BTW) go from 00 to 99, AND they had to add an extra digit, AND they had to add suffixes to that.

It does create some challenges when assessing for originality:rolleyes:

10. woodwkr2 May 4, 2014

Without more complete pictures, we can only comment on what we see. But yes, both watches appear to be completely original/correct.

Universal is one of the trickier brands to collect precisely because of the number of variations that they put out--it also makes them an expensive brand to collect, because there's always another variation to bag. You're wise in doing your homework and in asking around for help!

Enjoy the hunt!

11. Wilddyan May 4, 2014

Amazingly well described- love their watches though, so original and great heritage (their new ones are a bit rubbish though aesthetically)- the compur too are beauties, but seems very difficult to find 2 which are the same. Used to the blandness of Rolex and JLC I guess...

12. woodwkr2 May 4, 2014

Couldn't agree more. It's almost criminal what the current owners of the UG brand have done with it, particularly considering the rich history and looking over at the Phoenix story that is the modern Zenith brand as an example of what could/can be.

13. Wilddyan May 4, 2014

In a strange way though its what makes appealing though- people who know nothing of watches have seen/heard of Zenith. I love the understated value of these vintage watches and their style is second to none- stick a Patek logo on them and they would be 100k +

13ZN and woodwkr2 like this.
  14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 4, 2014

As a Zenith collector for 5 years, that is an amazing thing to read. When I started, no one had ever heard of Zenith. If what you say is true, I guess Dufour did his job.

15. Wilddyan May 4, 2014

Its true to a certain extent- in London there has been a massive push on Zenith, adverts seems to be in Watches of Switzerland/Selfridges/harrods/Frazer Hart windows all the time.

They have been doing pop up stores in Canary Wharf and both Westfields malls . Of course not everyone will know them, but certainly a lot of people here will have noticed them recently- even had my girlfriend who knows zero about whats ask about an El Primero about 2 weeks ago...

Still beauties though- especially the vintage chronographs

16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 4, 2014

Zenith has had a big pilot watch on the second or third page of the Wall Street Journal every other day for a while now... they seem to be finally spending a couple of CHF on marketing.

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 5, 2014

Well there you go - I never make it to page 2. I only read it on my neighbor's doormat...can only go below the fold when the elevator is slow.

J-Luc likes this.