Forums Latest Members
  1. a7tl46 Aug 6, 2016

Finally jumped into UG. I've been getting familiar with the movement, and have found a couple spare 287's in in need of TLC . Eventually plan to find a nice correct keeper, but I would never educate myself on such a piece.
    Until the reference book arrived, I am finding I need to ask questions and apologize in advance.
    I have a 287 movement without a case and was wonder what the numbers on the train bridge reference, and if that would date the piece? Thanks in advance
    287 parts 1.jpg

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 6, 2016

That is a movement number, but there is no reference to date these. Based on a correlation with case numbers, this would date to about 1943-45, very approximately. The correlation is not perfect, nor linear, and the case number dating is pretty approximate to begin with.

3. a7tl46 Aug 6, 2016

Thanks for the reply. Would there be any part changes as with a valjoux 72c month corrector as to early or late? Also have a dial with this movement, but may or may not be what was supplied with this movement.
    2873.jpg

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 6, 2016

No idea about that.

5. rolokr Aug 6, 2016

I was going to bid on that, for spare parts, and the dial ! I would say the two were probably original to one another. I have collected for 40 years, to find an original case to match might take you a decade to find one. It may have been in gold, but most likely SS given the luminous dial.I really NEVER see a Tri-compax case only for sale, happy hunting !

6. rolokr Aug 6, 2016

Dibs on that one. if your hunting is unsuccessful! I could use the movement!
    Here are a pic of my spare dials !

20160806_211045.jpg
  7. a7tl46 Aug 7, 2016

I actually bought it for the parts. I have a mostly complete 287 with a snapped off conveyor screw in the bridge, and snapped off moon disc in the main plate. Well, also missing all the hour registry pieces. Did manage to source all the parts but someone butchered the bridge attempting to get the broken screw out.
    This movement appears a bit finer in the finish.. Have to make a choice on which to make complete once I recieve it. Thanks for the reply

Edited Aug 7, 2016
  8. a7tl46 Aug 7, 2016

Dials look nice. Seems the redial thing gets ALOT of mention. What I notice is the different spacing. Is one for a 287 and the other a 481?