Forums Latest Members
  1. lbrwn Sep 6, 2013

I am a retail jeweler & have been asked to appraise a vintage Omega watch for a customer. It belonged to her late husband and she says it is a "limited edition". I would appreciate any information that members could give me about this watch. Model, Dating, Value, etc. The same watch was in a July 2012 posting on this forum (the photo of the watch in an Omega box). It is in very good condition. omega_14k_bracelet_5.jpg tri omega (480x640).jpg tri omega 2 (287x640).jpg [​IMG]

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 6, 2013

Its a US market watch from around 1956 (Omega imported movement, US made case/bracelet). Its worth a bit more than melt really, whether that's 10% or 50% or 100% I'm not certain, if its a small ladies watch its on the lower end of that, if its 34mm or larger maybe a bit more but not much. Its not really a collector watch and nobody would really wear it today unfortunately.

3. sohail Sep 7, 2013

Can't say about the valve but its a good looking dress watch

lbrwn likes this.
  4. lbrwn Sep 7, 2013

It is a mans watch. Not sure of exact measurement right now, but at least 34mm. She is mot interested in selling, just wants insurance value. Since I am not an Omega expert, I was trying to be sure the watch has no added value over it's gold content.AlthoughI would think the Omega movement would add some value. Thanks for your response & information. quote="dsio, post: 87362, member: 2"]Its a US market watch from around 1956 (Omega imported movement, US made case/bracelet). Its worth a bit more than melt really, whether that's 10% or 50% or 100% I'm not certain, if its a small ladies watch its on the lower end of that, if its 34mm or larger maybe a bit more but not much. Its not really a collector watch and nobody would really wear it today unfortunately.[/quote]

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 7, 2013

It is ashamed that this special watch did not get better value. Indeed it is a technical breakthrough at that time. Probably similar to Ceragold today.

Here is the special case exhibition for tribute to this tri colored gold in Omega Museum:
    H6 Case 76 Multi color gold material.jpg

1jansen and lbrwn like this.
  6. rick42650 Sep 7, 2013

If for sale-The watch could have some good interest in Asia....

7. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 8, 2013

I think insurance replacement value, as opposed to bricks and mortar dealership and global internet auction value, would be substantially higher than melt value. Insurance replacement relates to what it would cost today to actually purchase a new example of the same piece.

The example posted is part of the Montre Bijoux tradition of Omega releasing limited quantities of design pieces, and differs markedly from 'ordinary' dress pieces. Properly described and marketed this watch could do quite well in an auction by one of the big houses. I would hazard that insurance replacement value would be in the vicinity of 8000 - 9000 USD

To identify the model and production date, we need to see pics of the movement and inner case back.

Cheers

Desmond

lbrwn likes this.
  8. lbrwn Sep 8, 2013

Thanks so much to Desmond & Privateday7 for your helpful responses.

9. lbrwn Sep 8, 2013

I will post internal photos when I get to the office on Monday. I truly appreciate all of the wonderful information I am receiving. This forum has been very educational and I am enjoying learning about so many interesting watches. Lately, I have had several clients bringing me vintage watches for appraisal and this forum has proven to be my best resource.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 8, 2013

Please do........... we learn as much as you do when someone bringing interesting case in here, which force us to look out to our references and invite the real expert (like mondodec/ Desmond) to give their opinion.

11. lbrwn Sep 9, 2013

Here are photos of the inside of the watch. The measurement of the face is 27mm and the measurement of the entire case is 34mm.

omega movement (2).jpg omega back (2).jpg
  12. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Sep 9, 2013

Good. Movement is a hand-wind caliber 302, used in a number of "US Collection" pieces. Unfortunately, this one isn't listed in the Omega database, but that is more the rule than the exception for U.S. cased pieces. Norman Morris, the U.S. agent , imported the movement and commissioned a local case maker to produce the case. Morris did this a lot and was very interested in watch and case design, so much so that he established the Norman M. Morris Endowment in Jewellery Design at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City. The endowment provides for the inclusion of watch case design within the program of study for the Jewellery Design department.

The model number is N 6633. I can't read the movement serial number, but if it's an 18 million number then production of the movement would have been in around 1961, which fits exactly the period when these pieces were produced. The number 169573 is the case serial number and is subordinate to the model number.

If Privateday7 can blow up the decsription card in his Omega museum pic, that information would just about complete the description of the piece :)

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 9, 2013

I still try to find the original master file. This is the badly blown version:
    H6 Case 76 Multi color gold material.jpg
    My best effort to read it:

The 18K Multi Color Gold Compression
    Reviving the artistry of ancient goldsmiths, OMEGA designer created yet another world premiere in the world of watch design.

In 1960 OMEGA presented a line of very special watches that blended a multitude of gold shades to create unique masterpieces that magically fuse the beautiful (paralell tinted) of blue, pink, yellow and white gold. A (nine) techniques allowed fusing of alternating layers of this (parallel tinted) gold in (mono like pattern) giving a finely textured (finish to admire beauty subdued masterpiece).

Note: I am not sure the words inside the bracket.

14. lbrwn Sep 9, 2013

Wow! I couldn't ask for more. Thank you all so very much! Browsing through the forum has definitely sparked my intetest in Omega watches. I spent quite a bit of time in the sales pages this weekend-a purchase may be in my future.

Hijak likes this.
  15. ladydjho May 21, 2020

16. mac_omega May 22, 2020

?????

17. DON May 22, 2020

My thinking exactly. Why?

18. 1jansen May 23, 2020

Hi fellow members, I have a leaflet (same as the one at the Museum show case ) to share. From the leaflet, one thing is sure. The watch valued US$450 in 1962. Cheers,

20200522_223203.jpg 20200522_223305.jpg
  19. 1jansen May 23, 2020

@mondodec
    Hi Desmond, I found the leaflet posted as above. Hope it helps. Cheers,