Forums Latest Members

Trees, Teeth, and Time: The Mathematics of Clock Making

1. shishy www.hpmor.com Sep 26, 2018

akshayluc420, Eve, Deafboy and 2 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 26, 2018

shishy and gostang9 like this.
  3. gostang9 Sep 26, 2018

My wife is an Engineer - I am not - I did Economics ;)

Often when she wants to shut me down in an insulting way during an argument, she’ll simply look at me and say “... cuz MATH!”. I have not found an effective response and so I concede the point. <shrug>

Paedipod, shishy and Larry S like this.
  4. BenjaminT Sep 27, 2018

5. kkt Sep 27, 2018

I thought economics was full of math!

Vercingetorix likes this.
  6. gostang9 Sep 27, 2018

Of course, but it’s not as intense or in-depth as Engineering math (per my darling wife).

During a third year Econ math course, my professor commented that “economics math is more difficult than engineering math. In engineering they set all unknowns to zero and in economics we have thousands of variables!” I thought this was quite funny and so I say it to my wife and father-in-law regularly (he’s a Civil Engineering Professor Emeritus UNO), all in jest.

Her “cuz math!” is like a simple snack-down version of QED, and it’s very effective. ;)

7. Wryfox Sep 30, 2018

I understood so little of that I think I've gone full retard.:confused:

8. airansun In the shuffling madness Sep 30, 2018

Damn that’s an interesting article. I’ve always been curious about the calculations for movement train engineering.

But trying to read the article also embarrasses me. I’ve forgotten so much. :(

I went to M.I.T. in the mid 70’s, and the article is way over my head too. (Part of the problem is it’s been sooo long since I had to think that way. My career means I study people, not numbers.)

9. Professor Sep 30, 2018

I had wished to build one of the totally wooden construction open wall cocks that are several feet wide with gears the size of trash can covers etc. These days I don't have enough open wall space for the project.

IIRC instead of springs they used a very long lever with a suspended weight and geared down transmission . Each day or week depending on sizes you'd raise the weight by hand to re-cock the mechanism.