Forums Latest Members

Travelling with your watch

1. Leftinthelurch Aug 8, 2015

Hey all, just want to get your opinion on this. When going overseas do you take your watches or prefer to leave them at home? I have a manual wind Deville that I am quite fond of that has a BOR bracelet. I'm going to Europe for six weeks in the winter. Would you as a watch owner leave your pieces at home or are they there to be worn? Would love to hear your opinion. Oh, and here's a picture of the watch. Purely for the reason of having a picture.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. lillatroll Aug 8, 2015

I am currently doing a 2 month trip round Eastern Europe, I took my 70s Omega Dynamic with me, before leaving I did wonder wether to take my seiko watch but decided that if I get robbed then I get robbed. I definitely would not take some of my watches that are harder to replace, or have personal meaning to me, like my wedding watch or the first omega watch I bought. The chances of getting robbed are slight, how many times have you been robbed in your life?

3. Leftinthelurch Aug 8, 2015

Well that's the truth. I'd have to say never. It's just a thought that crosses the mind though. I might replace the BOR bracelet with a leather one, which would maybe be less conspicuous. What do you think?

4. lillatroll Aug 8, 2015

I don't think many people generally care about watches, I have to admit to sneaking peaks at what other people are wearing and so far I have seen one omega watch on a guy I was talking to and he didn't even know what model he had on, apart from that most people seem to wear cheap watches, which maybe because they are afraid of being robbed. I think if you have a spare strap then put it on but personally I would wear as is or leave it at home and wear a cheap watch. Hope you enjoy your holiday by the way.

blubarb likes this.
  5. calalum Aug 8, 2015

With due respect, I really don't think that any thief will be targeting you with that watch because it is on a bracelet. A gold PP on a bracelet might be a different story. And I don't get your comment about whether watches should be worn and enjoyed. If not, why own it?

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 8, 2015

I went to Italy wearing my Omega vintage Speedmaster. No worries. I would feel comfortable wearing a watch like yours. Something obvious like a Rolex would be better left at home (in certain areas). And of course one needs to exercise the usual common sense about walking alone after dark in seedy locales...

7. flyingout Aug 8, 2015

Three times come to mind. Camera professionally extracted from a shoulder bag in a European city known for this. A small amount of cash taken from my backpack in a Miami hostel. And a great deal more cash from my backpack in Central America when I was forced, for reasons I don't remember, to check my pack at the last minute.

I've traveled quite a bit. Months and even years at a time. And I hope to do so again in the future. I don't so much worry about the watch I'm wearing. It's the added exposure if it's not on my wrist.

8. Slipstreamer Aug 8, 2015

My wife and I travel to Europe at least once a year and always wear my Submariner (taking my titanium Speedy GMT with me this year too). Never felt threatened if traveling with friends or with a tour group. If we drive, sometimes I take my cheapish TAG Heuer. If you want to travel with your favorite watches, why not insure them? Doesn't cost that much.

ryanpatrick likes this.
  9. lillatroll Aug 8, 2015

I know people do get robbed, but I think the chances are small, I stayed in Harlem, New York and in Compton in LA, no problems both times were for more than 10 days.

10. Slipstreamer Aug 8, 2015

...and we live in LA...LOL

tpatta and lillatroll like this.
  11. lillatroll Aug 8, 2015

Compton was a bit more scary than Harlem to be honest

Slipstreamer likes this.
  12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Aug 8, 2015

I always weigh the risk to my watches when I travel. I do insure my watches, but insurance doesn't pay you for the emotional loss of a treasured one...

If I travel with a valuable watch, and I'm going to be staying in a hotel, then I'm either going to wear it, or keep it in the room safe (although that's certainly not a guarantee either!). Most of the time, I just don't take them.

Ten years ago, I had my most treasured watch, an 18K Chopard moon-phase (in a black cloth sack) stolen from my hotel room, most likely by a housekeeper, since nothing else of value was taken... stupid me to leave it in the room...

So, generally, I do take watches on travels and enjoy them there, just not those that would be too painful to lose if something happened... it really depends on where I'm going to be.

Edited Aug 8, 2015
    blubarb and Slipstreamer like this.
  13. Slipstreamer Aug 8, 2015

Agree. Sentimental value can't be replaced especially on a rare watch or as a gift.

14. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 8, 2015

My solution to all problems.... the hundred dollar diver! Buy 'em cheap and when the worst happens its doesn't hurt so much. I'm worried more about the rough and tumble life they lead when I'm travelling, but theft is also part of the equation. I'm not going to feel to bad about loosing a watch that cost me less than a minor service for the more valued pieces.

P1000170.JPG P1000605.JPG

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 8, 2015

Never had a drama but as @dougiedude says, if it's too good to leave in the hotel, wear it or leave it at home.

Modern Speedmaster and a diver for me most times for leisure, will add a nice dress watch for work

Slipstreamer likes this.
  16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 8, 2015

Depends where I'm going.. for a known location, somewhere I've been before, I would probably not hesitate to take a nice piece. Somewhere unknown, I'd probably take a beater... better to be safe than sorry.

Slipstreamer and Fritz like this.
  17. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 8, 2015

Timex!

18. Paedipod Aug 8, 2015

Sometimes depends upon where I am going.......
    IMG_2454.jpg
    I will not take something with irreplaceable value, whether monetary or sentimental,
    but more of an issue is whether I am going to be in an environment where I will miss having something nice enough with me and be tempted to "pick something up". Similarly, I have made a deal with Mrs. P that she can travel with a couple of nice pieces of jewelry (always kept on her person), so she doesn't need anything that may end up awkward coming back through customs.

Trying this one out on our next trip overseas
    IMG_3021.jpg

19. flyingout Aug 8, 2015

As I look at what to buy next, if anything, a travel watch is actually my top priority. It's just figuring where to draw the line. A hundred dollar beater works fine. That's more or less what I do now, though with a modern ETA watch. But there's little enjoyment there. So ideally I want vintage, in my size, that I enjoy and is worth maintaining, but is not so dear that risk of loss alters travel plans. I'm finding that list difficult to assemble.

20. Maximus84 Aug 9, 2015

Currently have my Speedy Pro on a 4-month trip overseas. I did wonder whether it would be a good idea to take it, given the harsh environmental condition, my activities and length of time away, but I came to the conclusion that I bought this watch as a lifelong companion, it deserves to come along for the ride. In years to come I can tell stories of various travels etc, and the one constant will (hopefully be) this watch.

The Speedy Pro is tool watch, though, and I bought it as such. No way would I bring my grandfathers old 70s Connie, or any other watch that had high sentimental and/or monetary value.

Retsamaes, tpatta, blubarb and 2 others like this.