Travelling to South Africa question

We are looking at travelling as a family to South Africa next year and whilst my wife grew up there twenty years or so ago things have moved on.
Is there anything in particular we should be aware of/ avoid barr the obvious .
We will be staying around Johannesburg , visiting her friend and her family and taking in a Safari.
Need something to look forward to after a crappy start to the year so far!
TIA

Wear as many watches as you can, get drunk, and run around Yeoville.

(Don’t do this)

Like 4
Very valid question to ask, but recommend reviewing firstly your relevant foreign office advice and relevant forums on SA, Google will provide plenty of advice. A lot is common sense like in any town or City.

Like 2
I was in Cape Town and Kruger NP about a year ago. I’ll preface this by saying that I was with a group with 4 other male colleagues. In Cape Town we did all the tourist things you do like Camps Beach, the scenic coastal drive, restaurants, etc. One colleague wore a Tudor BB GMT the whole trip. Walking back from the bars at night was similar to any city but I never felt unsafe. In Kruger we were at a safari park that was semi secluded and there were no worries at all. The safari is life changing!!

Like 1
I was in South Africa twice visiting a sister who lived there for two years, I also had a South African friend who was what one would call a “progressive” type- yet even the progressives will admit to the huge safety and crime issues in the country. My friend ended up deciding to leave the country after he and his boyfriend were held at gun point by robbers in their own apartment in Johannesburg.
On a plane I talked with a woman who witnessed an attack on a barbecue party in a garden where a 7 year old girl was held with a gun to her head until the hosts opened their safe.

You should not deprive yourself of the extraordinary experience of visiting this fascinating and beguiling country, make sure you take at least one cultural tour such as a tour of a township wherever you are— there are amazing tours of Soweto (I might even still have the name of a fantastic guide) and similar tours in Capetown and Port Elizabeth, and I would also think Durban.

Your wife’s family and friends will have plenty of info regarding adequate precautions, but do yourself a favor, and just wear a cheap Casio watch and no gold or diamonds.
Edited:

Like 7
Thank you the information guys , we haven’t booked anything just yet and ultimately my wife has to be happy that she is going to enjoy it without being overly worried.
A big part for me would be a Safari which has have found somewheres ideal- we saw humpback whales last year a trip and no videos or photos can do it justice , I feel the Safari would be a similar experience and for my son who is extremely passionate about his tortoises, to see them in the wild would be something he remembers for his life I’m sure - plus we will have to have another enclosure for those types!

We all have a tendency to look like paraffin lamps unless making an effort so we don’t stand out in that respect and nothing of value in terms or jewellery, watches or also phones.

My wife was held up as a teenager which probably adds to her trepidation but she does freely admit being where she should be, fortunately no harm .

Safari is amazing ! But then I would also second going big and going to Kruger; I’ve never been but was lucky to take safari trips in Kenya and Tanzania and the vast expanses of wilderness are another world.
Another advantage of Kruger, as I understand, is that it has tar roads so it appears to be the only large national park in Africa where you could include grand parents if they have problems on bumpy roads. I had done some research as I would have loved to take my mother but alas her back problems meant the long flight itself was a non starter.

For other animals, the pinguins on the road to Cape Point south of Capetown are also great. And like many creatures, their numbers are dwindling.

Like 1
Safari is amazing ! But then I would also second going big and going to Kruger; I’ve never been but was lucky to take safari trips in Kenya and Tanzania and the vast expanses of wilderness are another world.
Another advantage of Kruger, as I understand, is that it has tar roads so it appears to be the only large national park in Africa where you could include grand parents if they have problems on bumpy roads. I had done some research as I would have loved to take my mother but alas her back problems meant the long flight itself was a non starter.

For other animals, the pinguins on the road to Cape Point south of Capetown are also great. And like many creatures, their numbers are dwindling.

I would like to visit Cape Town as well at some point but it wouldn’t be on this trip.
It is interesting to know about the tar roads, it wouldn’t be an issue for me but the missus may moan about it so I will point it point it out!

I visited South Africa in January 2018. We flew into Jo'burg, caught an internal flight to Skukuza airport and then were picked up for a short ride into Kruger National Park (Sabi Sands actually). The safari was really good, but a large part of the enjoyment was due to the fact that the lodge took care of all meals and animal-viewing. The food was really good, and the guides knew the place like the back of their hands, so they could find the animals. Once one guide found a leopard, for example, they would radio the rest, and soon there would be 4 or 5 vehicles in that region. We had to wake very early in the morning (4 am?) for the morning safari, but there would be a long break in the afternoon, before the evening safari, which would end after sundown. Then a long sit down dinner that could stretch to midnight and beyond (we usually left early). We did this for three days I think. Definitely an unusual experience. Probably not for young children though, on account of the hours.

I visited South Africa in January 2018. We flew into Jo'burg, caught an internal flight to Skukuza airport and then were picked up for a short ride into Kruger National Park (Sabi Sands actually). The safari was really good, but a large part of the enjoyment was due to the fact that the lodge took care of all meals and animal-viewing. The food was really good, and the guides knew the place like the back of their hands, so they could find the animals. Once one guide found a leopard, for example, they would radio the rest, and soon there would be 4 or 5 vehicles in that region. We had to wake very early in the morning (4 am?) for the morning safari, but there would be a long break in the afternoon, before the evening safari, which would end after sundown. Then a long sit down dinner that could stretch to midnight and beyond (we usually left early). We did this for three days I think. Definitely an unusual experience. Probably not for young children though, on account of the hours.
Thank you for that account, sounds great, though the early mornings would hurt! Our kids will be 11 and 13 so they will sleep whenever they get the chance I think. Certainly make everyone aware before committing to it, that said I may get peace and quiet by myself out of the Safaris in the mornings!

Definitely do the safari - the wildlife will be amazing for memories. Eat lots of awesome African foods. Take some time to relax on beaches if you can. Wishing you safe travels and hope it provides the escape and lift you all need after a tough start to the year.

I been there (cape town) three times in the past five years for mtb racing 2-3 weeks each time. Last year with my wife and daughter. I always felt very welcome there, with my wife and kid we did a lots of tourist things including going out with penguins.

They follow my route, as I raced from city to city, staying at different Airbnbs. They were alone, the whole time. They never felt unsafe, but the locals give you plenty of advice. The place has a vibe that you can feel at night. Lots of places closed down around 7pm.
I have friends there now, which are awesome and helpful. They made my wife and daughter feel welcome.

When we go back next year, we are doing the Kruger safari for sure. Now I was told by a local and Airbnb owner, I stayed there several times. That there's a huge difference between the western cApe and Joburg as they call it. She is from there, still owns property over there. She told me you really have to be careful up there, even if you are from there.
Thrust your gut instinct, if you feel something is wrong it's wrong.
Go be careful and enjoy.

Thanks Guys, my wife is still on the fence as she can’t seem to shake the safety aspect which , whilst I may be able to rationalise it with her, it’s still there so it’s not fair to push something that she may not feel comfortable with.
I have left it with her to see how she feels with a little longer or if she will just be happier going elsewhere.

I went to school and college in South Africa. I have seen how it has changed since we first arrived there from Zambia in 1976. We emigrated to Zambia, from Scotland in 1970. My brother, sister in law and two nephews still live outside Pretoria on the Hartbeespoort Dam. I am planning a trip to S.A. in September. What I can tell you is it won't be to spend anytime in Johannesburg. Sad really because I did spend 4 great years there when I attended college in the '80's.

I have taken my wife to S.A. twice in the last 10 years. I opted to take her up to Madikwe Game Reserve, near the Botswana border for her first Safari experience. The second visit was primarily to visit Capetown and the Stellenbosch wine region. I spent time with my family on both occasions but that was on the shores of a lake, in a gated community, with security guards manning the gate. There is enough written about traveling in an around the Johannesburg area.

Well noted that @Ruffian flew straight in and then straight out of Oliver Tambo (Jo'burg) to Skukuza. The Kruger National Park is a great location and I agree Sabi Sabi is a great place to go on Safari. I also agree with @30t1 and others comments on Capetown and the Airbnb owners comments on the Western Cape versus Johannesburg.

In a previous life I worked for Abercombie & Kent and was based in Nairobi. During that time I was fortunate to travel through many of the Kenyan, Tanzanian and South African parks with prospective clients on familiarization trips. When we did the S.A trips we gathered the clients in Pretoria and only used the Johannesburg airport to fly out to parks and then down to Capetown. It was a company decision not to include Johannesburg on the clients itinerary.

I can understand how your wife can't shake the safety aspect.

Why not book a Game Lodge in the Kruger area, or one of the smaller reserves, then go on to enjoy Capetown for a few days? Perhaps with enough advanced notice your wife can encourage her friend and family to join you all on part of the trip?

When I go in September, the plan is for all of us to drive straight out from the airport into the country. We have booked an Airbnb in the Eastern Highlands for a week of R & R and a spot of trout fishing.
Edited:

Like 1