Forums Latest Members
  1. eustace May 29, 2014

Has anyone encountered any problems carrying a number of watches (lets say, around 6) onto a plane traveling to/from USA/Canada? Any questions from the xray guy?

thanks,
    e

2. STEELE May 29, 2014

I frequently travel from US to Europe with 3 watches in an Orbita Verona case, without any problems. I also travel by car between US and Canada and have never encountered any problems. Have never had a reason to travel with more so no experience with more than 3 + 1.
    If you are concerned at all, you can stop at the customs office and get them registered.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 29, 2014

I've been to both Europe and Asia with 5-6 watches, they don't even give them a second glance. That said keep them in your carry-on and within reach.

4. Mothra May 29, 2014

I'm assuming you know about the '1 Rolex into the us' rule?

5. Tritium May 29, 2014

Can you show this case?

6. eustace May 29, 2014

Hi, thanks all for the replies.

Mothra - can you elaborate on this rule and does it apply to any other brands?

7. Mothra May 29, 2014

The rule is 'The Customs/Trademark Laws stipulate that you may only hand carry one Rolex watch into the USA on your person.. You cannot ship any Rolex watch into the USA without Rolex USA permission.'
    Apparently us customs can seize your watches if this rule is broken - it only seems to apply to Rolex.

8. STEELE May 29, 2014

Here is my international travel case:
    WatchRoll1.jpeg
    WatchRoll3.jpeg

Here's one I use only for domestic travel:
    WatchCase1.jpeg
    WatchCase3.jpeg

Tritium likes this.
  9. eustace May 29, 2014

Wow, sounds like an anachronism to me. But good to know nonetheless. Thanks!

10. Tritium May 29, 2014

11. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 29, 2014

I travel back and forth from the USA every 3 months and I always swap around watches from my own collection and also take a few that I have bought for friends and I have never encountered any problems.

Please remember though, if your watches are covered on your house policy that you are normally covered for the one you are wearing only. I use TH march to cover mine.

12. alam May 29, 2014

+1

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 29, 2014

The security guys don't care.

The reason that most of us have not had problems is that Customs Very rarely look. But when they do, you better be ready. They will look for undeclared recently purchased watches that have not had import or sales taxes paid. And what can start as a simple stop and search can blow into a full scale investigation. In first world countries you have to worry about coming into the country you reside.

a visitor to the UK would not be hassled about his $50,000 Patek, assuming customs believed he was not leaving it behind.....but a British resident would Have to pay duty and VAT.

Google Clooney's engagement ring - that poor girl now is liable for huge import duties on her engagement ring because she brought it into UK And is resident here.

and as others have said, rolex into USA is a big no no. How the land of the free has allowed such a state of affairs I dont understand.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 29, 2014

The above is true. However, if you travel outside the US with more than one Rolex, you can register them with US Customs at the airport before you leave. Then if Customs hassles you upon return, show them the paperwork.

We are still a nation of laws, but the regulations can kill you.

• "According to the US Customs regulation, restrictions on imported goods do not apply when: (1) Both the foreign and the U.S. trademark or trade name are owned by the same person or business entity; [or] (2) the foreign and domestic trademark or trade name owners are parent and subsidiary companies or are otherwise subject to common ownership or control.” Many assume that Rolex USA is under common ownership with Swiss Rolex in Geneva. However, the owner of Swiss Rolex, Manufacture des Montres Rolex S.A. Bienne, has granted Rolex USA with the U.S. Registration for the “Rolex” logo. Therefore, the trademark of the Swiss Rolex watches that are created in Geneva and sold in the United States are owned by Rolex USA, which means the foreign and U.S. trademark are owned by separate business entities. This is why the Rolex watches sold in the United States are applicable to the importation restrictions."

http://www.crownandcaliber.com/watches/rolex/how-do-you-import-a-rolex-watch-into-the-united-states/

gatorcpa

thelinendial likes this.
  15. amblin May 29, 2014

You must be one with the 'good guy look'. ;)

It's always a risk when carrying multiple watches abroad (and back) especially off continent because you might attract the customs people and then it could blow into a huge hassle.

16. eustace May 29, 2014

So how does it work if you buy something vintage off ebay and you didn't technically pay tax on it? Can you get hit at the border if you leave and come back with the same watch(es)?

17. amblin May 29, 2014

You can always declare your watches and other valuables at the customs counter by filling out the form ( including brand, model, serial IIRC) so the customs will know for sure that you're not a mule when you come back...

thelinendial likes this.
  18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 29, 2014

Not in the US. Sales taxes are administered at the state level and are generally enforced against sellers of merchandise. There is a secondary tax, called "use tax", which should be paid by purchasers on goods imported from one US state to another. This includes eBay purchases of used items. This use tax is almost impossible for the states to enforce against individuals, so they almost never do.

US Customs duties are federal, and payable upon importation of goods purchased by travellers outside the USA. States cannot charge sales tax on self-imported items, but they can impose use tax. Again, this is almost never enforced against individuals, except for an small extortion payment, usually around $50 per year, that is requested on some states' income tax returns (New York in particular does this).

So long as you can show that a watch was legally acquired (I would guess an eBay bill of sale is sufficient) inside the USA, Customs should have no problems registering it when you leave the country. I've never heard of Customs refusing to register a foreign made product for lack of proof that Customs duty was paid. If they did, no one here would ever be able to travel.

Here is the form that gets filled out.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP Form 4457.pdf

If the watch was acquired from a seller anywhere inside the US, then there are no Customs duties to pay. If acquired from abroad, then Customs is supposed to be collected either post office or other courier service. From experience, I can tell you that USPS very rarely charges duty and that private couriers almost always do because they may charge extra fees for the service.

Like most tax laws in the US, it is all clear as mud. But it's how I make my living!
    gatorcpa

19. eustace May 30, 2014

Thanks gatorcpa for the information and the link. It's great to have such knowledgeable people on the forums here.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2014

I'm always polite and respectful to customs, security and airport staff too which doesn't hurt, when you say "thank you, have a nice day mate" after getting a pat down instead of complaining to them they tend to appreciate it a lot. I don't think TSA and customs have a high degree of job satisfaction in general.

Plus I'm Australian, everyone likes us, especially when we throw in a "G'day mate". :)