Forums Latest Members
  1. Jimmy Jim Apr 30, 2014

Open question to the group. I travel quite a bit and it can be all over the world. There are times when I just dont want to risk wearing my speedie pro, or any other nice watch for that matter.

So the question is, what are some recommendations for a sub $500 GMT? I'm open to new, vintage, and just about any brand. Well, except Invicta... I just can't bring myself to that. :D

2. ulackfocus Apr 30, 2014

Seiko or Citizen. ;) Can't tell you any specific models, but if I want a reliable & semi-disposable beater I go immediately to Seiko.

Jimmy Jim and Northernman like this.
  3. Jimmy Jim Apr 30, 2014

Thanks for being the first to confirm the direction I was heading

4. Jimmy Jim Apr 30, 2014

Sometimes you just need a group sanity check.

5. Apa Apr 30, 2014

I normally travel with my quarz omega constellation, small and cheap...

20130725_170817.jpg
  6. Hijak Apr 30, 2014

Nice leisure shot:coffee: ...

Dablitzer and Spacefruit like this.
  7. rhetoric Apr 30, 2014

stupid.JPG

:)

Georgieboy58, NT931, tpatta and 2 others like this.
  8. Daniel B Apr 30, 2014

Don't know if they are sold in the US but they have good reviews at the Swedish watch forum I hang out at. Sinn watches

http://www.sinn.de

edit: maybe a little too expansive for a daily beater

9. Jimmy Jim Apr 30, 2014

I do like Sinn, I will have to check out the secondary market. New are just a bit over the $500 limit I have for this effort.

10. ulackfocus Apr 30, 2014

Sinn might be hard to find even used for $500, but Fortis might be a possibility along those same style lines.

11. Daniel B Apr 30, 2014

Yeah, Just checked the website and realized that, sorry about that.

12. Jimmy Jim Apr 30, 2014

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I will be in NY next week, so I hope to have a few more options when I take some spare time to shop around. South Texas is not the hotspot for watches...

13. lenny May 1, 2014

Honestly, the web is the best place to be looking for sub 500 GMT's (well actually it's the best for all price points :)). Depending on the style you like, google citizen nighthawk and skyhawk. Does atomic synchronization matter to you? If so, the latter might appeal.

14. Jimmy Jim May 1, 2014

I have been digging around online, but frankly there are so many damn options that is the reason I asked here. I wanted to get a feel for if anyone else has been in my situation before.

I have been narrowing in on the nighthawk and the seiko kinetic gmt 5m85, but still keeping a very open mind.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 1, 2014

I'm not sure where you travel to, but unless you are wearing a Rolex, most people will have no idea that you are wearing an expensive watch, and this goes for most thieves too.

I simply wear whatever watch I happen to be wanting to wear when I travel - my last trip it was mainly the Speedy Pro, but also took my Glashütte Original along because we were in Germany and heading to Glashütte.

I usually take my JLC Master Compressor Memovox along because it has an alarm function, and I never trust hotel alarm clocks or wake up calls...

If you are going to some really iffy places, just make sure whatever you buy can't be mistaken for a Rolex. Buying something that looks just like one makes you as much of a target as if you were wearing a real one - the people looking to rob you likely won't be able to tell the difference at a distance.

Cheers, Al

Jimmy Jim likes this.
  16. Jimmy Jim May 1, 2014

Thanks for the insight Al!

Pretty much any country on the planet with a company or gov that has sensitive data can be a destination for me... and has been. So iffy places are certainly on the list. Most of the time, my speedie pro is my go to watch no matter where I am and I don't have a worry in the world about it. I think this is a bit of paranoia creeping into my mind as I expand my collection. As I sit next to the fire on my deck, my mind starts to say, what if something happens if I am wearing xxx.

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 1, 2014

I wear a Luminox as a travel watch as i travel a fair bit with work domestic and overseas

Hate to have to take a watch off for some over zealous x-ray/security point . Find that they never set off the beeper as you walk through.

luminox gmt 2000 are about the $500 mark

Jimmy Jim likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 1, 2014

I think it is paranoia to some degree. Really most people have no clue if the watch I'm wearing is valuable or not, and I think because we are collectors we assume others know that we are wearing our "precious" when we are out there in the world, where most would not even notice we have a watch on. The quick grab thief is more interested in your iPhone than your watch - hence the term "apple picking"...

As far as flying, I have never in all the years I've travelled or places I've been to, been asked to take my watch off at an inspection point. US, Canada, Europe, Australia/NZ, Caribbean - it has just never happened. I always wear a watch, and never get asked to take it off. My belt, shoes, etc. yes, but never my watch.

Cheers, Al

19. Jimmy Jim May 1, 2014

Thanks for calming my nerves a bit. Which is odd because I have been traveling the world for over 30 years, been some real nasty places, yet this thought has just now snuck into my mind. Like you, I have never had to take off my watch for any reason, no matter the country. Matter of fact, I have been told the opposite in some places where they fear being accused of theft and tell you to keep in on.

I also completely agree with the assumption that we feel as though other should know exactly what we are wearing. I really should get back to the basics of my advice I always give the 'greenies' when we end up in an odd places or go places that we really shouldn't. If you act like you are supposed to be there, walk as if you were going from the living room to the kitchen, in general people will completely ignore you and not give your presence a second look. Basically, if I don't fuss about my watch and give it attention, no one else will.

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 1, 2014

Had to remove watch probably 5 or 6 times out of hundreds of flights international and always been South East Asia or South America the two places you dont want to take a $3000-$4000 dollar watch off...

Funny as i travel to a place in northern australia in the middle of nowhere (Kununurra WA) a fair bit and there are two guys that work on the screen point that are the hardest people to please anywhere i have ever been..