Forums Latest Members

Transparent Case Back for Seamaster Diver 300M Chrono

1. Peter24H Dec 4, 2013

Hi All,

I'm the proud owner of a Seamaster Diver 300 M Chronograph 41.5 mm (2225.80.00) and was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to get a transparent case back for this model?

I suspect Omega do not make a specific part for this watch but, another part may exist which would fit the case or that a custom shop may be able to supply the part.

Any thoughts?

Also does anyone know the case number for that model?

Many thanks!

Peter

2. Peter24H Dec 5, 2013

Anyone?

3. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Dec 5, 2013

I am no watchmaker, my knowledge compared to longtime members of this forum is low. But what I know so far, is that omega is keeping their watches un-interchangable ( is that an existing word ?

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 5, 2013

Tejinator and watchme like this.
  5. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Dec 5, 2013

6. ulackfocus Dec 5, 2013

It is now! :thumbsup:

watchme likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2013

This one likely won't fit, the 300m divers have a flatish caseback, the 2225.80/2599.80 SMPC chronos have a very curved caseback to allow for the rotor as its a very thick watch.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 5, 2013

When people ask these questions I'm not sure they are aware that there is no master cross reference that Omega has that will tell someone if a prt that is not designed to work on a specific watch, will in fact work. As noted, Omega does not approve of these mods (the only exception being a complete conversion to another model) and are not interested in helping people make these changes.

In some cases mods that people want to make compromise the watch or movement so there are sometimes good reasons for not doing these.

Cheers, Al

Tejinator and Peter24H like this.
  9. Peter24H Dec 10, 2013

Thanks for the replies everyone. Omega have confirmed they won't do this; they have a policy about not exchanging parts from other models. I've asked if they would commission the part but they have refused this also.

I appreciate there would be no master cross-reference guide for Omega parts but its pretty obvious that of the current models being manufactured only a few could be appropriate; omega could feasible confirm which part and even pick it during production before any specific-model detail was added. So its feasible, its possible - but Omega won't do it even for a price.

I'm not too surprised, but at the same time would have thought Omega would want to accommodate - especially as customisations is very much the norm for anything these days, especially luxury items.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 10, 2013

No surprise at all that they won't do this. As I noted the only condition where they will perform a modification of a watch is if it can be completely converted to another model.

I know it may seem that using one part from one watch on another is pretty obvious, but isn't always the case. Take the "Great White" Seamaster GMT for example. I have been asked to quote on converting a black GMT version to the Great White, and it is far more complicated than people think. To do it "properly" you have to change several wheels in the movement, the date indicator, the dial, the hands, and the big one - the case.

This is because the dial is quite a bit thicker on the white version than the black, which means when you make the change in parts the stem no longer lines up with the case tube. You can fudge it and make it work if you are a hack watchmaker, but eventually your customer will come to you with broken stem after broken stem...

I think you will find the watch world is not one where the companies consider these mods as acceptable, and it is not really "the norm." In fact if you put an aftermarket bezel, dial, or something on your Rolex, Rolex consider the whole watch to be a fake. They will not service it unless you agree to have all the original parts replaced at your expense, and they will not give you back your aftermarket parts.

I know Priek makes custom case backs from scratch, so you could certainly try that.

Cheers, Al

Tejinator likes this.