Forums Latest Members

Training wheels are still on, be kind. Critique my first Constellation.

1. TexOmega Jul 29, 2014

Omega wrist time (Copy).JPG Linen dial (Copy).JPG Omega crown (Copy).JPG Case back with presentation (Copy).JPG

I've been reading and following along on this Help thread for a while hoping to avoid the most egregious mistakes while searching for my first Constellation.

What are your comments and criticisms on this one? Did I buy one that passes muster here?

Cal 751 gold capped, crystal's a little marred, but has the Omega sign dead center.

micmiz likes this.
  2. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 29, 2014

I made far worse "mistakes" when starting up!
    Like the look of it! The 751 is a great movement and the gold "sparkle" linen dial is very cool! Case looks decent and Observatory logo on the back confirms that the watch has not been seeing daily use over decades....
    C-Shape is gaining popularity... (I bought another one today:confused:.)
    :thumbsup:

3. TexOmega Jul 29, 2014

Thanks....

There is the mirrored bevel and the horizontal brushing present on the edges of the case, so I figured it sat in a drawer a long time.

So, the dial is original?

micmiz likes this.
  4. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 29, 2014

Dial seems perfectly fine. I have a silver colored one with the same effect (cal564):
    IMG_3406.JPG

5. TexOmega Jul 29, 2014

I like the Omega SS look, my one or two pre 1960 Omega's are SS.

What is the metal composition of your dial? Sterling silver or SS?

Did they make the gold-capped ones in 14kt gold?

I know they made the medallion in 14kt gold, seems they would have done the dial the same.

6. TexOmega Jul 29, 2014

7. TexOmega Jul 29, 2014

8. ulackfocus Jul 29, 2014

Dial looks good, case seems to be in very good shape, and the movement is great, but I'm not sure about that crown. That's only minor though.

Nuts, I can't be a jerk! :p

9. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 30, 2014

I have no idea. Regarding Constellations you should check out information written by our highly esteemed member mondodec (Desmond) at his site: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/
    Look for his various essays on the Constellation line and you may find your questions answered!:thumbsup:

10. TexOmega Jul 30, 2014

Thank you for your reply, not being a jerk, being helpful with your opinions and very generous with your time.

Yes, I was happy to see nary a stray scratch on any of the movement screw heads.

Either never touched, or a sign of a gifted watchmaker.

I tend to think the former, seeing the crystalized gasket and no initials on the inside case back.

Is the dial 14kt gold?

11. TexOmega Jul 30, 2014

Looks like I was typing while you were posting, Northernman....I have been through that great site many times, and all over the web, and have not found an answer to the dial composition question on these gold capped ones.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 30, 2014

With a purchase like that, you might be ready for Big Boy School.

Dial is not 14K or 18K gold on these, unless there is "OM" (Or Massif - French for solid gold) on the dial next to "Swiss Made".

[​IMG]

Take care,
    gatorcpa

Mothra and TNTwatch like this.
  13. TexOmega Jul 30, 2014

Thank you, Gator

What's your opinion on the crown?

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 30, 2014

Looks good to me.
    gatorcpa

15. TexOmega Jul 30, 2014

wooohooo!

A little knowledge is dangerous....look out world!

Thanks for your feedback.

16. TexOmega Jul 30, 2014

Thank you, micmiz, me too.

It's off for service and a gasket.

17. TexOmega Jul 31, 2014

I will take this opportunity to introduce myself, and pledge to be both a giver and a taker here on this Forum. I've taken so far, but being a noob here, I didn't and don't have a lot to add other than some pictures other noobs after me can use like I used the pictures others posted.

Mostly, before the last year or two, I concentrated on collecting American RR pocket watches, so I'm use to this obsession, thing.

And, to confess further, I started my wwatch collection with inexpensive Hamiltons and Gruens making my mistakes on dials and cases and hands and crowns with just a few dollars at stake while honing my eye to wwatches.

So, when I decided on Omegas as my center piece, my first was this 145.022-69 ST.

106 (Copy).JPG

Great Forum, thanks for y'alls help( and if my id didn't give my location away, that "y'all" just did.