Forums Latest Members

Trading Watches on a Forum

1. Sidrox25 Jan 18, 2017

Hey guys, long time reader/poster. I've always bought and sold watches on a forum, but never traded. Was curious from those of you who have, what is the best method to do so, view the trader's feedback? With a PayPal transaction both parties have some form of protection. I am thinking if I cannot sell one of my pieces maybe I can trade it for something I want at the moment.

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 18, 2017

(@Sidrox25 this is not a personal message to you - rather a point of view your questions raised)

This forum is primarily a discussion forum.

What this means is that two people who come together through it have a history of each other they can read and see what sort of person they are each dealing with.

We sell between ourselves, and although many have never met, we have built up a trust over time.

While using Paypal might give a level of protection, I prefer to do my own due diligence on the trading partner, read their history if I have not already, and deal on trust.

Other fora, and sites like ebay are built around profit, and trade. Therefore you have to be very careful as you are dealing with strangers.
    If it feels like the people here are strangers, then consider sticking around and participating so that they, and you, become less of a stranger!

Remember this is primarily a knowledge sharing platform.

Sales are for the convenience of the members and as I understand it, a disproportionate headache to the mods.

And the funny thing is, the only requirement for membership here, is the desire to be so.

That seems too much for some.

Nobel Prize, Vitezi, Davidt and 13 others like this.
  3. Sidrox25 Jan 18, 2017

I agree with you fully. I gained a lot of knowledge from the members on here and it has helped me expand my interest in the hobby. I have actually made a friend or two in real life on her as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stewart H, Larry S and Spacefruit like this.
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 18, 2017

Traded cash for watches heaps of times ;)

As Spacefruit said more of a community for a lot of us. With a added perk of buying and selling.

Would be several here I would lend a watch for a few weeks to see if they liked it and not bother about anything but the transit.
    It's not about the buck for a lot of us.

The first watch I ever sold was to a noob ( @terryb111 ) that sent me several bad watches to look over and due to doing his due diligence and educating himself I sold him a watch at less than I paid. He loved it. He will pay it back to another in years to come as he has a few nice watches now.

Vitezi, watchme, Spacefruit and 3 others like this.
  5. Sidrox25 Jan 18, 2017

Oh I've done plenty of sales/purchases online with no issues. I have actually made a friend or two along the way. I was actually approached by a member for a trade and I don't see that this person has much of any history. I don't feel comfortable doing a transaction of this value with that particular person.

There are a few people on here who I know are good to their word and know I am the same as well. Just wanted to get others feedback on the matter as well.

6. tempusfugit861 Jan 18, 2017

Hey, I'm a noob in case anyone wants to sell me an old Speedmaster at half price so I can pay the favor forward......someday.

abrod520, West Slope and wristpirate like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 18, 2017

Got a nice white dialled one for you......:whistling:

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. tempusfugit861 Jan 18, 2017

I saw that one on ebay. It was a 69 to 71 movement in a case with an 80s back and with an all white dial and black hands. Actually, a very attractive piece.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 18, 2017

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2017

Just to add, if you're ever in a situation where something doesn't seem right or are about to go ahead but feel uneasy you can contact us confidentially to quickly check out the other persons account. We can't assure you they're legit but if there are red flags or concerns we can let you know about them to factor that into your decision making.

Many attempted scammers we've booted have been caught thanks to members raising their concerns and PMing us, so don't hesitate.

al128 and Pvt-Public like this.