Forums Latest Members

Trading small collection for vintage Omega?

1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 31, 2016

Has anyone done this? I have a small collection of six watches I'd like to trade for a vintage Seamaster or Constellation.

Do I just post what I have and then negotiate based on what I'm offered? About half are freshly serviced (past 24 months) and the other half run but are not.

Any advice welcome.

Tom

2. sky21 Mar 31, 2016

You won't know until you post in the sales corner. Good luck, vintage has its pluses and minuses, but some of them sure do look great and feel amazing on the wrist. Be as specific as possible in your listing and provide as many pictures of each watch as you can.

3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 31, 2016

Personally, I would think it best to sell the six watches, as I would suspect that most Omega owners would not necessarily want to give up a nice vintage SM or Connie for 6 $100-200 watches. Cash is king, and you will be in a much better position to acquire the watch you want versus the watch that someone may be willing to trade.

lando, Davidt, x3no and 4 others like this.
  4. arkstfan Mar 31, 2016

My two cents which post-inflation is worth even less, is that while that is a neat and tidy solution you are seeking a rare person to deal with. First they have to have a Seamaster or Connie they want to part with, then they have to be wanting to part with it to obtain what you are offering and the odds are that they aren't going to be seeking the six particular pieces you will offer. They have to think the six combine to equal or exceed the value of the watch being given up. Chances are good that they won't want all the pieces and will have to weigh whether they want to take the trouble to sell the ones they aren't interested in. The undesired pieces become a liability to the deal.

You stand a better chance of getting the desired outcome by converting the six to cash and then trading the cash for the desired watch.

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. Jminchoi Mar 31, 2016

As said by sky21, you won't know until you try. You might find a dealer that is willing to trade with cash on either end depending on what the 6 watches are that you have.

6. Steve9pm Strangely obsessed with cheap manual wind watches. Mar 31, 2016

When you trade, you generally have to provide a discount. If you're okay with that, then by all means - otherwise, I agree with others....watches --> cash --> omega

7. cristos71 Mar 31, 2016

Sounds like a good deal for you but not necessarily so good for the other party. It is a technique that various buyers have attempted with me over the years, I have something attractive and in great condition for sale and I'm offered a few lesser specimens ( in both condition and desirability ) as a trade, generally with very optimistic trade values too.......needless to say I have never bitten this particular worm.

And as the others have said it's much better for you to be a cash buyer, although that will entail some extra effort to first offload the six you're holding

Impondering and watchknut like this.
  8. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 31, 2016

I used to see this attempted in the WTT forum at WUS all the time. Guy with 20 Seikos, Citizens, and Orients wants to trade for a Speedmaster or Rolex ExpII or something. I was always curious if it ever worked. Even if the values work out in the favor of the guy with the watch he wanted, it is unlikely their interests overlapped to the point where he wants all 20 of those watches, or even 5.

A dealer with the right watch might do it, but you'd be taking a big hit as a dealer is going to give you even less value in trade (while at the same time valuing his watch at the high end of the market). Sell the six watches individually, or just save the cash and buy the vintage piece to add to your collection.

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 31, 2016

I had a guy on WUS seek offer me a used Breitling Superocean and $1k for a 5512... I stopped posting on WUS FT section...

10. Jminchoi Mar 31, 2016

That's being optimistic of the Breitling owner!

11. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 31, 2016

What was amazing was that guy had no clue what a 5512 was or its value.

I had a pleasant email exchange, and convinced him to sell his Breitling, save more on top of his $1k and buy a used modern Sub...he sold his Breitling! I give him credit for learning and taking advice.

12. JohnSteed Mar 31, 2016

More generally and assuming a trade, which party would send first? Would both ship same time? Just curious if any experience here on the forum...

13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 31, 2016

I was wondering that too. Safest would be escrow....

Tom

14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 31, 2016

You know what, I'm pretty stupid. :)

Here I was thinking, "hm, I want a nice dress watch because that's the one thing I don't have," not that I couldn't wear a Speedmaster as a dress watch, right?

I have my father's 1960 Croton Aquamatic that needs servicing but is otherwise a fantastic example of a dress watch, especially once you put the fancy "baby alligator" strap on it.

Not that most of the collection can't be worn as unique fancy dress watches.

I have to get serviced what I have left that isn't serviced and look at what I have for what it is and not what it isn't.

IMG_0471.jpg

Left to right:

1960 Croton Aquamatic
    Circa 1920 Ferrero
    1945 Elgin Type A-11
    1917 Elgin "Foch"
    Circa 1910 Waltham

The Croton and the Waltham need service. The Foch needs real lume and not brown paint (grr, didn't follow direction).

I feel better now thinking of these as my dress watches. I only need to sell the Accutron because I don't want to be changing batteries in a watch I rarely wear.

Your advice helped me get here, so thank you!

Tom

15. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 31, 2016

No need for a vtg SM or Connie if you just want a dress watch...especially since you have your dad's Croton! That is a great looking watch, and the others are pretty sweet too.

Sell the Accutron, and maybe a couple of the 6, and then see what you can fund.

16. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 31, 2016

Agreed, that Croton would be a perfect dress watch on leather. :thumbsup: