Forums Latest Members

Trading a quartz Cellini for a steel Rolex

1. Walrus Jun 4, 2019

hello I’m trying to work out a deal trading my gold Cellini for a steel automatic Rolex. My Cellini is quartz but it’s solid gold midsize dress watch. Here is a choice or two. So that’s my Cellini on top. Beaneth is a possible trade I’ll need to find the others but what do you think of that trade 6CEA2CCA-C0E7-4E1F-BF8F-A58336083983.jpeg 1A770FD0-0540-4655-8B31-E6D11C8BF57E.jpeg

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 4, 2019

I don’t know if it’s the light but the trade does not look like a steel automatic, looks like gold as well. Or is it just the light?

On trades and sales of used watches the gold part carries relatively low value.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. Walrus Jun 4, 2019

Exactly. The Cellini has a decent amount of good but no one wants to touch them. The automatic I wouldn’t be too considered if it had some gold although they have another one there on a bracelet I’m trying to find a pic off. Basically I’m pretty desperate to unload my Cellini for any automatic Rolex.

4. Walrus Jun 5, 2019

Here is another possibility 665E90AD-FCFD-4750-BD1F-678F049A0054.jpeg

5. Walrus Jun 5, 2019

Correct me if I’m wrong but trading this quartz Cellini for pretty much any automatic Rolex would be a step in the direction. I never wear the Cellini, it’s to nice and the gold is easily scratched. I don’t really dress up. The way I dress I guess it’s possible people would think I’m wearing a fake as I’ve heard that mentioned around here before. Bottom in my eyes trading my Cellini for any automatic Rolex would be a good move

EdtheAussie likes this.
  6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 5, 2019

It would be from a commercial POV, and it seems from a taste POV as well. You Celliniis a very nice watch btw, quite elegant, but it is quarrz and definitely less wearable than an OP or a DJ.

Now you just have to find someone willing to trade

7. Walrus Jun 5, 2019

I have someone the two pic I posted are some of what he has

8. Walrus Jun 5, 2019

I wasn’t trying to trade it here if I gave that impression there is a shop in my state that wants to make a trade

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 5, 2019

Not at all, I just missed that those where offers already.

I personally like the second one best as a classic . The first option is great and elegant but if you’re looking for a stainless Rolex classic you can’t get much more classic then an oyster Date. Not sure if the one in the pic is 36 mm or 34 and wether that matters to you. I bought my wife one identical to it as a birth year and she loves it. She ended getting a custom dial in green ( kept the champagne in storage of course.)

Walrus likes this.
  10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 5, 2019

Doesn't the first one look like a horrible redial?

11. Walrus Jun 5, 2019

It prob is I have a number to choose from but I need to use caution people trade him watches that have problems my Cellini doesn’t have a problem

12. Walrus Jun 5, 2019

I had some pics of two that looked pretty good but of course now I can’t find them

13. JwRosenthal Jun 5, 2019

If you can get the OPD as an even up trade I would go for that. The case looks over polished and the hands looks like replacements but it’s an attractive watch (I know, I own one), and as said previously, it’s a classic. Would need pics of the case under the lugs to verify authenticity and date, and a movement pics to make sure it’s correct.
    The gold one is a redial and not a good one.

Walrus likes this.
  14. rcs914 Jun 5, 2019

I know if I owned that Cellini and could trade it straight for that OPD I'd do it in a heartbeat. Although personally I'd rather have a Turn-o-graph Thunderbird, or at least a datejust with an engine turned bezel if I were going to wear it regularly.

Walrus, Lucasssssss and JwRosenthal like this.
  15. Walrus Jun 5, 2019

Thanks guys in a way I’m attached to the cellini, I got it the same time I was buying my wife her ring. I do like the Cellini and that sentimental think kicks in but considering I’ve worn the cellini a handful of times in 15 years it really doesn’t make sense not to trade or łsell it. I will use this thread to post choices I may have but I would want it verified prior to completing the trade. It won’t be a problem, they are a good group of guys trying to build up a name as a watch show. They do have some nice things but also redone-dials and missing links etc. I’m going down next week, I’ll bring the watch let them look at it. See if he got in the datejust he was talking about. Wish me luck please.

Edited Jun 6, 2019
  16. Walrus Jun 6, 2019

funny you brought that up. That is one possibility. He did have a Rolex date with the engine bezel I didn’t get to check it out in depth yet as he wasn’t sure if he was going to keep it at his store. This is a small store with only a small part dedicated watches and as I said before they don’t make the best choices in buying. I saw, from a distance, what I thought to be a nice late sixties seamaster but when I got up close I saw the painted dial. Just like the first Rolex above with the painted dial. Before I got close I thought we might be on to something. As you can see that was not the case.

I know he does have a local jeweler come down and “authenticate” watches for him but I wonder if this guy just looks at the movement. I know he doesn’t service them the constellation I bought was very dirty. But ya, I wouldn’t say this particular way I’m purchasing the safest but in this case I have a rapport with guys. I’m trying to bring them a little business. My watchmaker is in the same city as this guys shop so I would make the trade with the stipulation I can get it looked at. I’ve had watches all my life but I can’t fool myself into thinking I can by visual inspection say a watch is fine. They open the back for me so I can see numbers and writing and gears etc but as far as knowing if the hands have been changed or other parts that would be over my head. It’s not like the guy is trying to cheat me it’s just that he really needs to educate himself a bit more because the repainted dials he bought are not even well done. I pointed one out to him and I could see he felt like an idiot. So I didn’t point the others, but it was one or two redone dial on the Rolex and I thing two on the omega. I also told him to move any invicta watches to a different part of the display. Don’t have Rolex, Omega, Bvgari etc and have three invicta right in the mix. Maybe I should not have said that but at the time it bothered me. I seem to be pointing out the negatives but the 60’s constellation I purchased really turned out to be a great deal.
    This could be a good opportunity to trade my Cellini for an automatic. Really if it’s an automatic not repainted in good working order value wise it really would work out on my side. Well I can’t get to far ahead of myself I figure I’ll call him tomorrow, maybe go down next week. Set up parameters for the trade and hopefully work something out. I’ll bring a Maurice Lecriox and a Tag with me in case I need to sweeten the pot. TBH these are the parts of watch hunting i like sometimes. Certainly the best way to do it is to buy at an authorized dealer. Well I could do that but the times between my purchases would be much longer

Edited Jun 6, 2019
  17. JwRosenthal Jun 6, 2019

Shopkeepers don’t like smart-ass customers who
    know more then they do, not saying you are one, but it’s important to not “educate” them unless they ask you for your expertise or impressions...it makes you come off as a shit.
    I bite my tongue all the time in shops when they try to “sell” me and give me misinformation about a watch, and I clearly know more than they do-I smile, hand the watch back and say thank you...then move on.
    You can judge when someone is willing to work with you and you can build a relationship. You can also tell when they are humoring you and thinking “you have looked at 5 watches, I have laughed at your jokes and have looked interested as you talk-buy one already”.

18. Walrus Jun 6, 2019

I could see why you would say that but we had already been talking for twenty minutes before we got into watches. They were two friendly guys I felt bad he didn’t even know he had a redial. He asked me for help he wants his shop to be known having nice watches and he does have some nice watches. He asked me for suggestions and my first thought was separating the chaff from the wheat. I didn’t say throw out the invicta I suggested they don’t have a Rolex sitting next to an invicta sitting next to a omega. Those were really the only things I said and they were appreciated enough that I got the 60’s constellation for 350. I know they aren’t upset as they even called last week to see how I am doing with the constellation. When I was younger I worked for the federal and state prison system mainly with the guys being released on decade or longer sentence. Because of this I had to bulk up on psychology to work with these guys and while I’m no expert I can usually tell when my approach to someone needs to be adjusted. I have had failures though. One guy on my caseload needed to be medicated he decided he didn’t. We had just got him set up in independent housing and he grabbed a knife charged at me saying he wasn’t taking his meds. I moved quickly that day.

They were also the ones who brought up trading my Cellini. So again, I can see why you would say that but they did request my help. If they ask me what to do about the painted dials I don’t know a good answer for that one. I’m really hoping these guys make it. I can tell they are nervous I wish I had more knowledge or suggestions but I don’t know their business. Moving the invicta was a damn good idea on my part.

19. Walrus Jun 10, 2019

Getting rather excited. This week I will bring the Cellini down to discuss trades. I just really need to let the guys agree to hold the Cellini and let me run off and get their rolex checked out. If it has a few flaws I can deal with that but with my limited knowledge I would definitely miss things. I’m sure they would agree to do it. If not I may end up passing.

20. JwRosenthal Jun 10, 2019

Post some decent detail pics of it while you have it in hand, maybe we can give you an assessment, your watchmaker can take the back off and check out the movement. Details of the hands and lume plots, the coronet, the “Swiss” at the bottom of the dial. The serial number and reference number under the lugs, and shots strait in to the lugs to judge thickness (was it polished down). Those are pretty much the Rolex OPD high points to check