Forums Latest Members

Traded my SMP 300 2531.80 for an X33 Gen 2

1. blues45 May 23, 2017

I don't know if it was a good deal or not, but I recently traded my 2531.80 for an X33.

I just think the X33 Gen 2 is such a unique Watch with a rich background. Love that it's so durable and being used by current generation astronauts. I feel like these X33's are becoming more scarce and I could always find another 2531.80.

Sure it's quartz but I love the grab and go, I don't have time in mornings to wind watches as I feel like I'm always rushing out the door.

SMP was Watch only on a bracelet while the X33 Gen 2 is a full kit. I have the bracelet but just prefer leather on the wrist.

I will one day own another Bond watch. IMG_20170523_1426286.jpg

Caesar95, bradhan, mokofoko and 5 others like this.
  2. ras47 May 23, 2017

I would think a NATO strap would be great on the X-33 models. But the leather strap is a nice look too, and after all the only opinion that matters is yours.

mokofoko likes this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! May 23, 2017

If the X33 had the titanium bracelet with it too then you definitely came out ahead by at least £300/$400 IMO.

4. blues45 May 23, 2017

Yup. I do have the braclet. In great condition.

Do these quartz movements ever need service. Or should I just leave it as is until it dies

Thrasher36 likes this.
  5. w.finkenstaedt May 23, 2017

The movement will slowly start draining the battery more over time (passing electric current through wires degrades the wire over time, meaning more power draw for the same effect). Probably every third or fourth battery change, you should need a movement replacement.

6. simon.pearl May 23, 2017

The Gen 2 X-33 is a great watch! I've had mine about 6-7 years and love it, an all time keeper in my book

Thrasher36 likes this.
  7. mokofoko One sad panda May 24, 2017

Good luck finding a watchmaker willing to service one of these things--not sure that'd even be possible. Omega will not repair these movements during a service--they swap for a new one, which pushes the cost up a bit I'm sure. Owning an X-33 (any iteration) can be costly if you're unlucky--unfortunately you don't have the option of just taking it to a good watchmaker and having the work done for only 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Omega's rates.
    Considering how much Omega charges to replace the movement of an x-33 (close to $800 now, rather high for quartz), I'd just keep using it until it completely fails. Since Omega only swaps these movements out (vs repairing), there's not much reason to service x-33's at set intervals? I've seen a few people say their gen1's have been running for 15+ years without needing a full service.

Thrasher36 likes this.
  8. w.finkenstaedt May 24, 2017

I don't know where you got your info, but all quartz services (full service) are $450. There's no special price for the X-33.

Also, Gene Cernan famously wore his Speedmaster for 40+ years without service; does that anecdote prove that all Speedmasters can go 40 years between service? Of course not. There are always outliers to any recommendation.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. Thrasher36 May 24, 2017

Wear it and enjoy it. Dont worry about the service

mokofoko likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! May 24, 2017

Not strictly true worldwide any more. In the UK at least the cost of servicing an X33 would be more like £450/$600, Omega charge more than the std quartz service cost presumably either because of the necessary movement exchange or because it is a chronograph. I have seen paperwork confirming this and had it confirmed from STS also, who won't touch these but pass straight onto Omega Service Centre.

Here is the link showing that a quartz Chrono service is £450:

https://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/service-prices/

Edited May 24, 2017
    mokofoko likes this.
  11. mokofoko One sad panda May 24, 2017

A coworker had his gen1 serviced a handful of years ago for nearly $800 (with tax, that may have actually been BEFORE the most recent round of price increases). I own one as well, and dread the day it fails.

Sorry to tell you this, but the flat rates posted on the Omega site aren't very accurate. They used to have a far more detailed list shown--I recall checking, and I noted that the posted service cost wasn't far off from what I was told.

12. mokofoko One sad panda May 24, 2017

Spot on. Omega's service page is kind of misleading now in my opinion--X-33 owners will be in for a surprise when they go to omega, thinking it'll be a "reasonable" $500 repair. Even worse, no one beside Omega will touch these things if the movement goes wonky. The x-33 is a great watch, but it's definitely expensive in terms of upkeep (no viable third-party repair options). Anyone who paid only $300-$500 for their x-33 repair either had it done years ago or must not have had the movement replaced.

Edited May 24, 2017
  13. w.finkenstaedt May 24, 2017

Ah, I was reporting pricing from Omega Boutiques in the US; that's the only place I've ever serviced my watches.
    The flat rates are for anything involving refinishing and the movement (as well as steel/Ti pushers and crowns). Anything that's accidental (bezels, bracelets, crystals) are at cost.

14. padders Oooo subtitles! May 24, 2017

Fink, out of interest, take a look at the link I posted, it may link may go direct to the USD or Euro prices for you, I can only see the UK price as I think it works on location. The servicing costs have risen a fair bit recently so I would be surprised if it is still $450 for the US.

15. mokofoko One sad panda May 24, 2017

You've had an x-33 serviced through Omega recently, and they charged you $450? Because again, a coworker said his cost $800 for a full service. His movement was replaced--not sure what other work was done. The service price for this movement posted on the omega site a few years ago (when I bought mine) was something like $700+ and tax at the time--unless my memory has really gone bad.

It can't be, unless the price for servicing has fallen dramatically in the last few years--he has to be quoting the $450 blanket price shown on that same page you linked.

The darn service prices keep going up and up. I remember checking the service price before picking up an x33, and like a year later the site was showing a $50+ increase. Now those detailed figures are missing from the site.

Edited May 24, 2017
  16. w.finkenstaedt May 24, 2017

Yep, $500. Sorry, I remembered the quartz three hand from having one of my wife's watches serviced.

IMG_2227.JPG

17. padders Oooo subtitles! May 24, 2017

That actually isn't too bad. It is a lot more now in the UK. though I guess our price has the 20% sales tax included though which explain some of the difference.

18. mokofoko One sad panda May 24, 2017

Looks like the official price was $600 (strap) or $635 (bracelet) back in 2015:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20150914...tches.com:80/customer-service/service-prices/
    Not as bad as I remembered, but still not cheap after tax, bracelet refinishing, and whatever other work needs doing. Omega must have charged my coworker a good $100 for extra work I wasn't told of. Still, I can't imagine the bare minimum service cost now would be any less than the $600+tax from yesteryear.

Omega classifies the 1666 movement as a category 3 chrono, and not a simple quartz:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20151106...in/Customer_Service/csprice/cs_price_list.pdf

With some digging, I found a few people from 5-10 years ago who claim cost was $400+ for an x33 service. But then again, I've found a few posters in that same range who said their movement swap was $800+ after tax. For a full movement swap, the latter may have been closer to the truth.

Edited May 24, 2017
  19. Fatcat May 24, 2017

Yep all the quartz movements are the same price for the service at Omega, Breitling too i got my Emergeny to overhaul the with the movement broken I tried to change the batteries my self because the service cost 600$ , the watch in parts with the movement broken and the back case broken cost also 600$ .

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 24, 2017

Wear it until it fails, then they will swap the movement. Just make sure that when you see the EOL (End Of Life) battery indicator, you should get it in for a battery swap as soon as you can. A leaking battery can lead to a premature service (movement swap) being required.

Cheers, Al